Apple filing investigates iPhone, iPad with internal pico projectors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A recently uncovered patent filing by Apple indicates the company is looking into creating shared workspaces on pico projectors that could be fitted inside future versions of its iPhone and iPad devices.

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office published the patent application, entitled "Projected Display Shared Workspaces," on Thursday, along with filings related to simplified maps and wireless carrier ranking.

The filing describes the combination of mobile devices with built-in pico projectors and a laptop computer with a projector accessory to create a shared projected workspace. The resulting projected displays could be placed side by side to create a contiguous display, with each device displaying a portion of the unified image.

Embodiments of the invention include the application of a graphical user interface for transferring images between displays, as well as the use of a camera or touchscreen to detect user gestures that interact with the images.

For instance, a user could perform a specific gesture to transfer images between projected displays. Example gestures include a flicking motion to transfer an image from one projected display to another and a clenched fist gesture that would serve as a copy image command.

The application mentions iPods, iPhones and each of its Mac computers by name, as well as "a tablet computer," as possible devices in the invention. In some cases, the projectors are described as internal to the device, while other embodiments refer to the use of a removable attachment.

Apple goes on to suggest that GPS and radio frequency identification could be used to help the electronic devices determine the relative positions of other devices forming the shared workspace. Another embodiment describes the use of a device's camera to monitor neighboring projected displays in order to determine its position.

Apple filed for the patent on February 11, 2010. Anthony Fai is credited as the inventor.

Although rumors of a pico projector-equipped iPhone have persisted for years, sources from pico projector makers have reportedly said that the technology will not be ready for potential inclusion in Apple's devices until 2013. "Large power consumption, weak lumen rate and poor image quality" are said to be the drawbacks that still need to be resolved.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    The train 'steams' on. LED technology, as successful as it has been, is really only at the beginning of its revolution. Efficiencies will improve, colour temperature will become more natural (there is some beautiful, natural room lighting available now) and projection imaging technologies will improve out of sight. Modulation transfer functions will improve.

Exciting times for imaging technologies.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    External device seems more likely
  • Reply 3 of 17
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

The train 'steams' on. LED technology, as successful as it has been, is really only at the beginning of its revolution. Efficiencies will improve, colour temperature will become more natural (there is some beautiful, natural room lighting available now) and projection imaging technologies will improve out of sight. Modulation transfer functions will improve.

Exciting times for imaging technologies.

One day:

- place your phone in charger / stand

- keyboard / gesture area projected on the table in front

- workspace projected on the wall behind
  • Reply 4 of 17
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Aaaahhhhhhh I love Apple Aaaahhhh. Delete this reply. Aaaahhhhhhhh.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Nobody cares about a projector on a phone.

Nobody cares about a camera on an iPad.

Nobody cares about copy and paste on the iPhone.

Nobody cares about multitasking on the iPhone.

Nobody cares about a video iPod.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

I care about 3 of the above.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    I guess it's likely that this tech will make it's way into smartphones at some point, but 2013 sure sounds optimistic to me? I would have thought the power issues alone might be an absolute deal breaker until some sort of great leap forward in battery tech. Maybe I'm overestimating the power requirements though??
  • Reply 8 of 17
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Nobody cares about strawman arguments.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    LOL at "clenched fist gesture"
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Geez. Are we so sarcasm blind or what?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    cajuncajun Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

External device seems more likely

Agree 100%. Apple's not going to expend a tremendous engineering effort that maybe 1% of their users will find useful. More likely is a small form factor projector that will wirelessly receive a signal from an iOS device.

In fact, combine this with another rumor; the base charger that Apple is working on that can wirelessly charge from up to a meter away, and you see an opportunity for a range of complimentary wireless products that Apple could be working on.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Geez. Are we so sarcasm blind or what?

Good sarcasm is rarely misinterpreted by a limited audience like this. I saw the post, thought it might be sarcasm, but I don't see the point of it. I don't see the point if it is sarcastic, i don't see the point if he was serious.

Maybe had he read the article, he could have included something relevant and it might of worked. Since he read the headline and posted, and I read the article. (and the patent). I just find it confusing.

The headline mentions an inference by the author that really has nothing at all to with the story or the patent. Perhaps if Hagar reviewed the article he was replying to, his sarcasm could be made relevant and thus more effective.

Before this turns into another internal pico camera debate, it would be cool if people would read the patent. The patent is for creating connected work spaces between multiple portable devices with projectors. The workspace are controlled by gestures by the devices cameras. It is actually a pretty cool idea.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Before this turns into another internal pico camera debate, it would be cool if people would read the patent. The patent is for creating connected work spaces between multiple portable devices with projectors. The workspace are controlled by gestures by the devices cameras. It is actually a pretty cool idea.

I agree, most of the replies to this, both here and on Mac Rumors, are totally misunderstanding the issue.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

The patent is for creating connected work spaces between multiple portable devices with projectors.

Kind of like the Windows idea of extending the desktop over several devices?

Quote:

... The workspace are controlled by gestures by the devices cameras. It is actually a pretty cool idea.

Indeed, it is. It's called Kinect.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Indeed, it is. It's called Kinect.

Or indeed EyeToy anyway there's reason to believe that Apple is any more likely to do this than they are to use the inductive charging penis/headphone cable thingy they patented last week.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    If Apple makes a pico projector, I have great hopes that it won't be another dim, low-resolution product like the pocket projectors floating around in the market. There are flashlights brighter than those.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Or indeed EyeToy anyway there's reason to believe that Apple is any more likely to do this than they are to use the inductive charging penis/headphone cable thingy they patented last week.

Not to be critical, but if you use those two things together, you might be using it wrong.