Valve's 'Counter-Strike: Global Offensive' coming to Mac in 2012

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Sorry, too little too late. Bye bye PC gaming. As I said Dirt3 is my last PC title. It's Xbox360 for me or iPad2 gaming. We'll see.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

Haha...they really will do absolutely anything to avoid going back to the Half-Life series.

I've long given up on waiting for HL2: Episode 3.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

It is our nature to evolve. Civilization was a step away from the necessity to be Hunter/Gatherers.

If you noticed I prefaced my statement specifically towards Military Industrial Complex Circle Jerk Games, not Self-preservation against Aliens and other World Campaigns.

We did evolved, we use weapons of mass destructions instead the one on one.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

NRA is a glorification of war and death. They buy real guns and shoot real people (and occasionally animals).

Um, what?

NRA are responsible law-abiding gun owners who run gun safety courses and try to keep the government from having a monopoly on firearms. Not that I support them, GOA FTW.

If you want to talk about who buys real guns to shoot people, look at our government. Obama is currently killing people in Pakistan, Yemen, Libya, and lord knows where else. 168 children have already been confirmed killed by drone attacks. THOUSANDS of non-combatants, too. All in illegal, undeclared wars of aggression. The NRA isn't piloting those drones.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    jace88jace88 Posts: 38member
    Score.

If we're lucky it'll be like CSS where you only needed to purchase it once and boom, it was playable on both PC and Mac (but not simultaneously)!
  • Reply 26 of 31
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:

If you noticed I prefaced my statement specifically towards Military Industrial Complex Circle Jerk Games

Circle-jerk games?

Dude, I'm not usually one to stick my nose into other people's business but if that's how you play... you're doing it wrong.

PS: Remind to never turn up to any LAN parties you happen to attend...
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Circle-jerk games?

Dude, I'm not usually one to stick my nose into other people's business but if that's how you play... you're doing it wrong.

PS: Remind to never turn up to any LAN parties you happen to attend...

• Reply 28 of 31
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JaCe88 View Post

Score.

If we're lucky it'll be like CSS where you only needed to purchase it once and boom, it was playable on both PC and Mac (but not simultaneously)!

Answer is yes... All Mac games in the steam store are bought once and playable on Mac and PC.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:

They're boring as hell, is my point. Hell, the games of the mid-90s were far more entertaining when we had half-ass graphic capabilities.

Games back then were quicker to develop. Although people may still enjoy good gameplay at the expense of graphics, there's a certain quality bar developers need to hit to be relevant. Hitting that quality bar as well as producing a good game that isn't completely derivative can take a fairly hefty budget and long turnaround time.

I remember enjoying older games more too but when I revisit them, there were still just a handful of really great games. They did seem to focus more on the experience though as if the developers had a passion for games. Modern studios just seem to focus too much on the bottom line and the talent is so diverse that it's often not a single artist's vision. Even with dozens of games studios, these days you can only really hope to get 5 good games at most per year and some of those will mostly be marketing machines.

Battlefield and Call of Duty for example are at this stage money trees. Modern Warfare 1 was innovative. There are studios that put in the effort like Bioware and we'll see what Respawn come up with but there could certainly be more effort into immersive gaming vs shallow run-and-gun gaming.

Valve has taken a turn for the worse here because Newell said they were focusing on games as a service now. This is fine for desktop software but not games. Things like Team Fortress and Left 4 Dead have such basic mechanics, they just can't have longevity.

I don't want to see games end up being a bunch of copy-cat shooters that take a year to make and then developers just add levels, characters and outfits. I like the short development times but I'd rather see shorter immersive games that give you a reason to play them instead of giving you a time-filler when you have nothing better to do.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:

They're boring as hell, is my point. Hell, the games of the mid-90s were far more entertaining when we had half-ass graphic capabilities.

I enjoyed Marathon, Quake, Doom, etc., like the rest of anyone whose ever played a first person shooter, but how many f'n WWII, Terrorist, Cold War circle jerks do we really need?

I can see from your comment you've never played counterstrike, but the mod has always been kind of campy and the whole terrorist/counter-terrorist theme isn't supposed to be taken seriously. It's not some pro-America propaganda game. There's no campaign. If you don't like it, you don't have to play it. Tons of indie developers make low graphic games focused on pure gameplay; vote with your dollars.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    I wonder if anyone will ever figure out a good way to implement controls for a FPS game on the Ipad.