Rumor: Apple's carrier partners are testing a 4G-capable LTE iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by siromega View Post

I don't want to buy an iPhone 5 in October and then have an LTE iPhone debut 8 months later in May or June.

What universe do you think this is? Apple hasn't released an iDevice update less than a year later in the past six years.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Agreed, I don't think we'll be seeing an LTE iPhone in 2011, given the reports of how bad 4G android handset battery life is I'm not sure we'd even want one.

Pretty much nobody has access to 4G, so I'm pretty glad that Apple is not going to release one. We're not ready yet.

Only when 4G is pretty much standard everywhere - that is when Apple will start to become interested. Apple would never do anything that would reduce battery life. And Apple will never release a product unless nearly every one of its customers could benefit. Can you imagine Apple Care explaining to people that even though they paid for a 4G phone, they can't use it?

It is better to wait.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What universe do you think this is? Apple hasn't released an iDevice update less than a year later in the past six years.

I could really care less about Verizon LTE support on the next iPhone. What I want is for Apple and Verizon to support simultaneous voice over data, SVOD, over CDMA which is supported by Qualcomm chipsets and can also be supported by Verizon's cell sites.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

I could really care less about Verizon LTE support on the next iPhone. What I want is for Apple and Verizon to support simultaneous voice over data, SVOD, over CDMA which is supported by Qualcomm chipsets and can also be supported by Verizon's cell sites.

Pet Peeve alert: What you actually meant to say (I assume) is that you could not care less.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    jmkazajmkaza Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

Apple will never release a product unless nearly every one of its customers could benefit. Can you imagine Apple Care explaining to people that even though they paid for a 4G phone, they can't use it?

It is better to wait.

The 3G came out long before AT&T had 3G service rolled out in any but a few markets. I was stuck using EDGE for almost two years before 3G towers were up in my neighborhood, but the day they were up, I could use them. Same with millions of others.

Apple drives the implementation of new technologies. They partner with companies to lead the R&D so that they get it before anyone else (ala Thunderbolt). When Apple announces that existing 4G chips aren't up to par, the unspoken take away should be "So we're working with Qualcomm on one that is". A delay in release of the next handset provided two benefits, market expansion and R&D. An 18 month iPhone cycle without any real technological innovation? Don't count on it.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Actually, Apple is very selective in implementing new technologies.

They supported WiFi very early yet their Macs still don't have built-in Blu-ray drives nor USB 3.0. They use more NAND memory chips than anyone else, yet they don't have things like fingerprint scanners or built-in 3G cellular data on their notebooks. Apple is quick to drop support of legacy hardware on their computers, however the telephone market simply won't let you drop GSM/GPRS.

Historically, Apple has been quite conservative about the network technologies it supports on its iPhones. Here's the key: they look at the dominant cellular technologies with a global worldview, not just taking a narrow, US-centric perspective.

Today, LTE is spottily deployed in the United States by one carrier, has some presence in Scandivania, but that's about it. By contrast, HSPA+ is widely deployed throughout the world, including the U.S. (both AT&T and T-Mobile USA). It is far more likely that Apple will forgo supporting LTE this year and instead focus on an HSPA+ compatible handset design.

HSPA+ would benefit far more iPhone buyers than LTE would at this time.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,726member
    No surprise that new products might be getting tested. How else are they going to verify they work?
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Pet Peeve alert: What you actually meant to say (I assume) is that you could not care less.

Now, now. Maybe he COULD care less about LTE. He might like it juuuuust a little but not care about it the other 90%.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:

In the first 2 years it would have been extremely difficult for them to do this, given that iOS devices did not exist...
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

In the first 2 years it would have been extremely difficult for them to do this, given that iOS devices did not exist...

iDevice is a colloquial term for all portable Apple devices that begin with a lowercase letter I. You should know this.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    andydandyd Posts: 1member
    Apple should astound us this year provided they don't pull the killer features - its that close.

Most of the iPhone 5 delay has been down to two things:

1: A5 shrink which retains two cores but clocked at 1.5ghz per core.Apple had issues with yield

2:Uprated GPU SGX543MP4

3: LTE. Apple has on it's hands large numbers of the new LTE chip from

Qualcomm. a chip that is present in the prototypes with the networks world wide. Job's himself personally authorised the wait for LTE based on the battery life and data throughput guarantees he received personally from Qualcomm

discuss
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andyd View Post

Apple should astound us this year provided they don't pull the killer features - its that close.

Most of the iPhone 5 delay has been down to two things:

1: A5 shrink which retains two cores but clocked at 1.5ghz per core.Apple had issues with yield

2:Uprated GPU SGX543MP4

3: LTE. Apple has on it's hands large numbers of the new LTE chip from

Qualcomm. a chip that is present in the prototypes with the networks world wide. Job's himself personally authorised the wait for LTE based on the battery life and data throughput guarantees he received personally from Qualcomm

discuss

1. What's with the whacked font?

2. Who wrote this?

3. Processor speed is pretty much meaningless.

4. Won't be necessary (or utilized).

5. No LTE. Period.

And I'm absolutely positive that you don't know that "Job's" himself "personally authorized" anything.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andyd View Post

Apple should astound us this year provided they don't pull the killer features - its that close...

(mindless blathering deleted)

discuss

Poppycock.

Especially the part about Job's authorizing the LTE wait. This is entirely bogus and a complete insult to AI readers' intelligence. Show the documentation if you want to back up your claim: we know you can't.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

Hello,

CDMA technology does not allow for simultaneous voice and data. However, you are able to use voice/data if using Wifi for data. This will allow you to keep a data connection and a voice call.

Hope this helps!

^CB

VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VZW_CS View Post

Hello,

CDMA technology does not allow for simultaneous voice and data. However, you are able to use voice/data if using Wifi for data. This will allow you to keep a data connection and a voice call.

Hope this helps!

^CB

VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Yeah, corporate shill, we know.

Instead of wasting time with social networking, how about getting Verizon as a corporation working on voice over CDMA or helping to finalize the voice portion of the LTE spec so that we can actually have it?

Oh, and while I'm talking to a Verizon rep, stop making data plans forced. I couldn't care less about wasting my money on your nonsensical 2GB plans.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    Quote:

Yeah, corporate shill, we know.

Instead of wasting time with social networking, how about getting Verizon as a corporation working on voice over CDMA or helping to finalize the voice portion of the LTE spec so that we can actually have it?

Oh, and while I'm talking to a Verizon rep, stop making data plans forced. I couldn't care less about wasting my money on your nonsensical 2GB plans.

Amen! +1