Apple now selling $69 Mac OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    sunbowsunbow Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Can do it from their local Apple Store. Just bring your storage.

Good reply. Thanks. Would be better if there is an official way to place a purchase order and have it delivered though, on something other than a USB drive.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sunbow View Post

Your experience may be narrower than you think.

I think it's a reasonable judgement call, if your security policy is so tough that you cannot use the USB ports, then I find it highly likely that you would be able to use shiny disc media to install (or probably more likely, copy) stuff for any purpose, and even if you were allowed, I would suspect that you would not be in control of suitable administrator rights in order to complete a software install, much less an OS upgrade.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    sunbowsunbow Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Twelve View Post

The USB drives are read-only. They're as safe as a CD-ROM would be, just faster and less easy to break. Extremely high security US agencies are allowing their use although they can not be transported into a SCIF without special screening. Similarly, a CD-ROM could be a CD-RW and nobody would know the difference unless such media were specially screened.

Your logic is impeccable, and I agree with it too. Not all organisations are quite the yet.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [QUOTE=stuffe;1922378]the forums aren't a service for people to go for help and advice[.QUOTE]

They absolutely are.

Quote:

they are there for discussion, chat, a bit of banter and the sort of help that you might offer where where you can without needing to get on your high horse.

I suppose that if you ignore the main content of my post, you'd ignore the last sentence where I specifically state that isn't the intention.

Quote:

In this thread someone replied to one of your comments and said "There is an application from apple that allows you to make your own USB after buying Lion from the app store." to which you replied "Never said there wasn't". That person wasn't disagreeing with you, wasn't putting you down, wasn't doing anything other than adding to the conversation, and it was the first time in the discussion that the recovery tool had been brought up. But you managed to turn that into a personal slight.

No, you just completely misread it. In no way can that be read as a "personal slight". My response was to a statement that didn't need to be made, so it was just restating what I had already said.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    [QUOTE=Tallest Skil;1922404]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

the forums aren't a service for people to go for help and advice[.QUOTE]

They absolutely are.

I suppose that if you ignore the main content of my post, you'd ignore the last sentence where I specifically state that isn't the intention.

No, you just completely misread it. In no way can that be read as a "personal slight". My response was to a statement that didn't need to be made, so it was just restating what I had already said.

I missed the word "only" out from that.

Regardless of intention, I am merely providing my thoughts on outcome.

As to the response that didn't need to be made, I don't see how the first mention of the recovery tool in the whole thread was unnecessary, and it was not a repeat of anything you had already said. It can be read that way, or I wouldn't have actually read it that way. Others may have read it that way too. That's not a fact, of course, but opinion.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I have tried reinstalling from Lion Recovery. It asks for your Apple ID and checks with the App Store that you've purchased Lion before proceeding. So that's why it won't work, the App Store will have no record of you having bought it.

What if the Mac originally shipped with Lion installed? Do you still need an Apple ID? Or does Apple check the serial number and know that the Mac already came with Lion.
  • Reply 67 of 73
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j2-core View Post

If you have slow or no internet connect we are going to offer you this plastic thumb drive!!! And it's only $69.00!!! Yes that is 233% of the original price.

Actually it isn't. The drive was designed more for those that hadn't gotten around to upgrading to Snow Leopard and thus can't update to Lion via the App Store.

So $29 for Snow Leopard, $29 for Lion and the rest for the disk.

Those that need the disk for some other reason like their recovery partition isn't working as it should would be eligible to get a free drive via the Genius Bar appointment they just had.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

What if the Mac originally shipped with Lion installed? Do you still need an Apple ID? Or does Apple check the serial number and know that the Mac already came with Lion.

Supposedly when you enter your Apple ID during the initial set up it validates that your machine came with Lion, iphone, iMovie and Garageband pre loaded and records them as purchased for your id in the iTunes system.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

I just gotta say:

Apple can even make a thumb drive look good

So how many Apple Fanbois will buy this just to have a USB drive with an Apple logo?
  • Reply 69 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Why not share with us what it is called and where we can find it?

Well, there is this solution where you can install your purchased volume of Mac OS 10.7 from the Mac Store directly to DVD or a USB Stick. It's freeware and everything you need to know about installing Lion is explained on the developer's site. The stick or DVD can then act as a recovery device for Lion!

Just follow this link: http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/

I hope this helps. This way you just pay for a standard 4GB USB stick (costs about $5).

Cheers! )
  • Reply 70 of 73
    prwprw Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Oh, and what the hell is up with people preferring to re-download an OS for recovery, rather than just grabbing a physical USB drive and plugging it in?! Downloading is sloooow compared with sucking off a USB drive. Are people so absent minded they can't remember where they keep their physical OS media? I don't get it.

I have a new 13" MacBook Air, which shipped with Lion. The downloaded Lion Installer WILL NOT BOOT the MacBook Air, nor, I suspect, will the $69 USB thumb drive. The Air ships with a special distribution of Lion. (now Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1 (11B2118)) For a bootable thumb drive, I used the Recovery HD partition to install the Air version of Lion onto an external USB hard drive (It requires at least 11 GB to install, by the way.) I then cloned the resultting clean install to an 8 GB USB thumb drive, and it WILL boot the MacBook Air.

Apple has created some additional complexity for those machines shipping with the capability to download the Recovery HD Partition directly over the internet, without anything on the internal hard drive, SSD or spinning platter.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The product also comes with an "Important Note" from Apple: "When you install OS X Lion using the USB thumb drive, you will not be able to reinstall OS X Lion from Lion Recovery. You will need to use the USB thumb drive to reinstall OS X Lion.

This makes sense. If you use the Lion Recovery Assistant, it has to check your Apple ID in order to confirm that you have purchased Lion in the past, allowing you to redownload a copy. If you install using the USB key, Apple has no way to verify that you actually purchased Lion for your machine, as the license is tied to the physical USB key, not your Apple ID.

Caveats like this, in addition to the higher price point, goes to show that Apple is dead set on making the App Store the default for all purchased products going forward. Still, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask Apple for an official method of creating an offline installer for Lion if you purchased it online. Even if you eliminate all the issues of data caps and broadband accessibility, it still takes a long time to download a 3+ gigabyte file even over a decent connection here in the US. Reinstalling Mac OS X used to be a 20 minute process on a fresh hard drive. Depending on your bandwidth, it could take hours.
  • Reply 72 of 73
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

It'll probably check the serial number to see if it shipped with Lion. You'll need an Apple ID in order to re-download the iLife applications, though.
  • Reply 73 of 73
    well I downloaded Lion on my Snow Leopard machine and made a disk image, however, the disk image will not open on the Leopard machine, saying it cannot boot from this version of osx.