Apple predicted to 'strike back' at Google with its own patent purchase

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    This guy is dumb. Why would Apple buy standard essential patents? Doing so would require Apple to license the patents at FRAND terms. Not a very effective strategy to stop Google.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by droideggs View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crisss1205 View Post

I say they should buy RIM, they are a dead brand anyway. Plus they can use that to make a bigger impact in Enterprise. That could cause more companies to switch to Mac.

that would make no sense.

Apple is not traditionally in enterprise space.

Furthermore, the iPhone is definitely not 'enterprise-ready' as security standards are not in place within iOS ecosystem.

Finally, RIM's clients would definitely take issue with that as well.

Don't forget the Canadian government. If they wouldn't let BHP Billiton buy Potash of Saskatchewan, I don't think they will let Apple buy RIM.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Agreed. Further, probably two of the patents are wi-fi standard patents. If so, they have to be licensed under FRAND terms. Meaning they aren't a threat to Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Go read the actual patents.

• Reply 24 of 57
    Ah, "strike back"??? What is this, a tabloid?
  • Reply 25 of 57
    leesmithleesmith Posts: 121member
    I'd like to see Apple acquire Eastman Kodak, keep the IP portfolio and sell off the rest.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    lol @ "Strike Back" at Google...when has Google done any patent based Striking towards Apple?

Should read "With Google now probably in control of Motorola's patent portfolio Apple should purchase interdigital so they can continue their anti-competitive ways."
  • Reply 27 of 57
    I want to see Apple do this just so we can read another official Google blog post about how Apple's partnership with RIM/Nokia is anti-competitive, unlike their purchase of MMI, which was the greatest boon to competitivesness the mobile world has ever seen.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

lol @ "Strike Back" at Google...when has Google done any patent based Striking towards Apple?

Should read "With Google now probably in control of Motorola's patent portfolio Apple should purchase interdigital so they can continue their anti-competitive ways."

This is a fine start?

Its not an official Google blog post, but since this is only a rumor yet, I will settle for hypocritical fandroid rants.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    forisforis Posts: 25member
    "This makes excellent sense for us" said Larry Page. "No longer do we have to pay for any IP, we can just pinch all the ideas we want, pass our own laws, and nobody can touch us. Seems like a plan to me."
  • Reply 30 of 57
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Following Google's bid to purchase Motorola Mobility, Apple is predicted to strike a deal -- perhaps with competitors Nokia or RIM -- to consolidate its already significant patent portfolio and better position itself both offensively and defensively.

In a note to investors on Tuesday, Jeffries & Co. analyst Peter Misek concluded that Apple is likely to

Google's chief executive, Larry Page, candidly admitted that his company's purchase of Motorola was prompted by legal action from competitors -- namely Apple and Microsoft -- against the Android platform. Page said he believes the measures taken by Apple and Microsoft have been "anticompetitive," and ownership of Motorola's patents will better position the search giant to defend its mobile operating system from legal threats.

Larry must be stoned.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

You're right, they do fall behind in enterprise, which would make a purchase of RIM, integrating top-notch user experience in iOS with industry-leading security of RIM possibly the smartest purchase anyone has ever done in the history of business.

No. This is actually an absolutely blooming ridiculous idea.

RIM is dead. They have no technology worth buying. They have no retail presence. They have no new ideas. They have no software expertise. They have no engineers or designers worth stealing. They are mostly older guys stuck in the 90's. It would be a really, really *bad* fit for Apple to buy RIM and RIM has nothing that Apple wants or needs.

That tired old crap about how they have "contacts" or "inroads" into the Enterprise is just business double-speak. It never meant anything in the past and it doesn't mean anything now. It's just the crap they say at meetings so everyone feels like they won't be stabbed in the back at the first opportunity. Anyone who believes it is a fool.

Apple could make more inroads into the Enterprise overnight (assuming they wanted to), by making a better product than they could buying RIM. If someone comes along with a better product, no company is going to stick with the old worse product out of "loyalty" or some such. That's purest fantasy.

RIM has hooks into the enterprise because of their successful product, but now their product is failing. When it fails, those business will switch to something else so fast it will make your head spin. The whole idea that there is some kind of loyalty in the business world and that all those companies are going to sit around and wait for RIM to come up with something modern is just one of those fantasies that people like to believe. Despite all the talk (and from the businessmen involved no less), you'd be hard pressed to find a real life example of almost any business actually working that way.

The only reason to buy them would be for the patents and even then, they aren't that old of a company. What patents could they possibly have that would make it worthwhile?
  • Reply 32 of 57
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Don't forget the Canadian government. If they wouldn't let BHP Billiton buy Potash of Saskatchewan, I don't think they will let Apple buy RIM.

Yup. Google only bought moto because is the only us based phone manufacturer with any kind of presence in the industry. Samsung, htc, lg are all way out of reach both in terms of language, culture and regulatory approval ( no way any country would let of of their prized firms). So moto was the only choice, they took it and I hope they don't close it down or move it to Cali.

Edit: of course apple is us based also, but you get what I am saying.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Based on the price Google paid for Motorola, he values each of these at $20 million, given the fact that they could be used by Google not only to defend Android against potential attacks from Apple, but also to counterattack the Cupertino-based company and other rivals in the future.

This is nuts. All these huge corporations are stocking up with (the equivalent of) a nuclear arsenal. I sure hope that they opt for some sort of stable MAD situation. Otherwise, there will be a lot of wasted time and money.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    This is an interesting comparison:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=nokia%2Fapple

Nokia apparently has valuable patents and a distributed manufacturing base that could possibly (I don't know at what cost) be repurposed, such as:

http://www.nokia.co.in/about-nokia/c...uring-in-india

and in lower-cost European countries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia

Nokia's market cap currently is a little less than Apple's net income! Interestingly, this is a little over 1/3 of its revenue of about US$60B, whereas Apple's market cap is three and a half times its US$100B revenue. Surely, given its manufacturing capability which is a tangible asset and possible door into a low-end market, its patent portfolio and its lowish market cap, Nokia is worth watching from Apple's perspective. \
  • Reply 35 of 57
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

This is nuts. All these huge corporations are stocking up with (the equivalent of) a nuclear arsenal. I sure hope that they opt for some sort of stable MAD situation. Otherwise, there will be a lot of wasted time and money.

Mutually Assured Bankruptcy.

Actually there is a big difference between patents and nuclear weapons. Governments can build more weapons whilst patents are in short supply. You can bet anyone with a decent portfolio is now thinking how much can they get for it. And if a block of patents does come on the market, can Google or Apple afford to let the other company get them? I'm predicting lots of very high priced sales of patents in the near future.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

No. This is actually an absolutely blooming ridiculous idea.

RIM is dead. They have no technology worth buying. They have no retail presence. They have no new ideas. They have no software expertise. They have no engineers or designers worth stealing. They are mostly older guys stuck in the 90's. It would be a really, really *bad* fit for Apple to buy RIM and RIM has nothing that Apple wants or needs.

That tired old crap about how they have "contacts" or "inroads" into the Enterprise is just business double-speak. It never meant anything in the past and it doesn't mean anything now. It's just the crap they say at meetings so everyone feels like they won't be stabbed in the back at the first opportunity. Anyone who believes it is a fool.

Apple could make more inroads into the Enterprise overnight (assuming they wanted to), by making a better product than they could buying RIM. If someone comes along with a better product, no company is going to stick with the old worse product out of "loyalty" or some such. That's purest fantasy.

RIM has hooks into the enterprise because of their successful product, but now their product is failing. When it fails, those business will switch to something else so fast it will make your head spin. The whole idea that there is some kind of loyalty in the business world and that all those companies are going to sit around and wait for RIM to come up with something modern is just one of those fantasies that people like to believe. Despite all the talk (and from the businessmen involved no less), you'd be hard pressed to find a real life example of almost any business actually working that way.

The only reason to buy them would be for the patents and even then, they aren't that old of a company. What patents could they possibly have that would make it worthwhile?

I disagree with enterprise being double-speak. I work with some people at the Perimeter Institute (a theoretical physics research facility in Waterloo founded and funded by RIM), and they issue all employees a BlackBerry. From what I've learned, they don't do this because that's where the funding comes from (they actually switched to Google Apps for their email), but because BlackBerry's enterprise capability really is top-notch.

Though as some other people have mentioned, the Canadian government would block a purchase of RIM by an American company faster than... well I was going to reference some really good goalie, but ironically I don't follow hockey. Anyway, wouldn't happen, no matter how good it would be for RIM.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Nokia's market cap currently is a little less than Apple's net income! Interestingly, this is a little over 1/3 of its revenue of about US$60B, whereas Apple's market cap is three and a half times its US$100B revenue. Surely, given its manufacturing capability which is a tangible asset and possible door into a low-end market, its patent portfolio and its lowish market cap, Nokia is worth watching from Apple's perspective. \

Microsoft needs Nokia so I imagine any attempt on Apple's part would be met by Microsoft overpaying for Nokia.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

I'd like to see Apple acquire Eastman Kodak, keep the IP portfolio and sell off the rest.

I'd like to see Apple buy Adobe... and dismantle it.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Microsoft needs Nokia so I imagine any attempt on Apple's part would be met by Microsoft overpaying for Nokia.

The Finnish government and the whole of the Finnish population would step in - there'd be riots on the streets of Helsinki!

Still, all good fun!
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

I disagree with enterprise being double-speak. I work with some people at the Perimeter Institute (a theoretical physics research facility in Waterloo founded and funded by RIM), and they issue all employees a BlackBerry. From what I've learned, they don't do this because that's where the funding comes from (they actually switched to Google Apps for their email), but because BlackBerry's enterprise capability really is top-notch.

Though as some other people have mentioned, the Canadian government would block a purchase of RIM by an American company faster than... well I was going to reference some really good goalie, but ironically I don't follow hockey. Anyway, wouldn't happen, no matter how good it would be for RIM.

It's interesting how corporate purchase decisions can be influenced by politics and other

non-technical bias. To be fair there are Stateside companies which have made the opposite

decision in favor of Apple, for various reasons including technical factors made manifest

via "bakeoffs" in the marketplace.

For example when California's Genentech (before purchase by Swiss pharma giant Roche)

opened the company cellphone purchase decision to employees, RIM Blackberrys piled up as

so much landfill in favor of iPhones. Yes it may have helped that Genentech's CEO

was on the Apple BOD...

Of course Genentech had no enterprise capability problems with iPhone since they

were one of Apple's largest corporate customers.

Sometimes it is "just business" and sometimes it is Darwinian, but at the time there

was simply no contest given the superior iPhone UI.

P.S. I say this as one who's significant other is a dual Canadian/U.S. citizen due to

Canada's largesse, offspring of a semi-pro Canadian hockey player transplanted

to the States after helping start a family. This makes hockey/beer-related loyalty

decisions interesting, although with the advent of Pacific Northwest IPA and other

developments such as AAPL stock wiping the mat with RIMM things aren't that

tough down here.