Kodak's patents valued at 5 times more than company's market cap

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

They might [sic] currently be earning a billion a year from mobile advertising but don't be surprised if that number doubles inside the next 12 months.

They "might" do anything, but at least I used real numbers, and not, "Hey, if they double next year, and then double after that, it MIGHT really add up to something!"

And iPhone 5 and WP7 "might" dig into those numbers significantly.

Quote:

I don't believe Google actually wants to kill the iPhone...

Never said they did, I merely replied to the "strategy" comment, and noted that Google could have made quite a bit of money simply selling ads without the expense of Android.

Quote:

Apple alone cannot get people online fast enough and Microsoft and RiM weren't doing much so Google pushed Android to speed things up.

A bit of revisionist history there? Google acquired the team and was developing "Android" before the iPhone was even announced and before the smartphone market really took off. 'Course, at that time, Android was simply a Blackberry clone.

Then Google CEO Eric Schmidt saw the iPhone while sitting on Apple's board, and ran screaming back to Google. "Change course! Change course!"
  • Reply 22 of 25
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

They "might" do anything, but at least I used real numbers, and not, "Hey, if they double next year, and then double after that, it MIGHT really add up to something!"

And iPhone 5 and WP7 "might" dig into those numbers significantly.

You can look at the growth rate of iOS on its own to see how quickly smartphones and the mobile web are growing. I wouldn't be surprised if in a number of years more people are using Google search on smartphones than on the desktop. So what if iPhone5 and WP7 dig into those numbers? Google doesn't make money off Android, they make money from advertising; the more people using smartphones of any make, the more people using the web, accessing Google services and seeing Google ads.

Quote:

A bit of revisionist history there? Google acquired the team and was developing "Android" before the iPhone was even announced and before the smartphone market really took off. 'Course, at that time, Android was simply a Blackberry clone.

Then Google CEO Eric Schmidt saw the iPhone while sitting on Apple's board, and ran screaming back to Google. "Change course! Change course!"

You are talking about how Android looks (iPhone clone v Blackberry clone). I was talking about the strategy behind their mobile push which is to get more people using the mobile web and therefore more people using Google and seeing google ads.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

So you replace a messy auction for the patents with a messy auction for the entire company. 3 billion is chump change for any of Microsoft, Google or Apple. It is also highly likely companies will group together like in the Nortel auction so there would be a lot of money available for bidding.

I was thinking along the lines of a swift, hostile take over ... But you are probably right.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Nice jump on EK today! Must be this news.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Quote:

I don't believe Google actually wants to kill the iPhone;

"Make no mistake about it". They certainly do.