Verizon's Android share down dramatically following iPhone 4 launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In less than six months, Verizon Wireless' share of Android phones sold in the US has eroded from 51.4 percent to 41.1 percent, indicating a huge shift among Verizon subscribers to iPhone 4.

A breakdown of US Android providers published by Chitika Insights at the end of March showed Verizon to be the largest Android carrier, largely due to that carrier's migration from RIM Blackberry to Droid branded Android smartphones throughout 2010.

A new study by Chitika, looking a the same market just five months later, shows a huge decrease in Verizon's slice of the US Android pie after it launched iPhone 4.

Despite a new wave of promotion of Android devices, AT&T's share of Android users is up just 5 percentage points. Figures by T-Mobile and Sprint indicate both have maintained a static ratio of the nation's Android users as Verizon moved millions of its subscribers to the iPhone.

The largest growth comes from other carriers, including MetroPCS, Virgin andUS Cellular, who amounted to less than 3 percent of the US Android market in March, but now collectively claim 8.5 percent, nearly as large of a share as AT&T.

Chitika estimates that Verizon carries about 23.9 percent of American iPhones, leaving AT&T with 76.1 percent.

The company noted, "Verizon?s share of iPhone traffic continues to increase, but it seems that Verizon is gaining market share in Apple?s prominent smartphone at the expense of its other, Android-running devices."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    Doesn't this really reflect on the growing Android market and it's participants and less on anything to do with the iPhone? In order for it to really reflect on the iPhone your pie chart should just show a comparison of just Verizon before and after it had the iPhone. The charts are really showing that more companies are selling Android devices. Is it also possible that the Other is including things like Tablets and Nooks? I don't think you can make the conclusion that you have from those charts.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    And many more of us trapped on AT&T are waiting for iphone 5 to switch to verizon!
  • Reply 3 of 68
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    It's really the only phone that actually puts carriers on the map and makes news about them somehow relevant. No other device does that.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    Another regurgitation of a "research report" by AppleInsider with no critical thinking. As another commented noted, there's no way to use the percentages in those pie graphs to draw the conclusion that Verizon's carrying the iPhone 4 caused the reduction in Verizon's share of the Android handset market or that its customers shifted from Android to iPhone. +1 for Bruce.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I'm part of the 23% of iPhones on Verizon. But i'm surprised that ATT has such a little android %. What the hell are they selling other than iPhone? It's crazy to think that 92% of ATT's smartphone users are iPhone, or is it?
  • Reply 6 of 68
    Does anyone remember before Verizon got the iPhone... people said it would be stupid for Apple to make a Verizon iPhone because CDMA is a dead end?

I think people thought Verizon was gonna shut off CDMA sometime soon... and Verizon iPhone users would have a phone that didn't work anymore...

Fast forward to today... Apple DID put an iPhone on Verizon.... and there is no end to CDMA in sight. In fact... all Verizon phones still rely on CDMA for voice... and they will for a long time.

It's funny how topics change from day to day.
  • Reply 7 of 68
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Atkinson View Post

Is it also possible that the Other is including things like Tablets and Nooks? I don't think you can make the conclusion that you have from those charts.

The article states that Other is other mobile operators (they even list a few).

The whole thing is focused on smartphones. If for some reason they had junior high school students tabulated the data and forgotten how to exclude non-smartphone Android devices, they would probably be fairly evenly distributed amongst all the carriers. That said, I'm going to give Chitika the benefit of the doubt and pretend like they actually know the difference between smartphones and things like tablets and that they know how to isolate the smartphone data.

Remember that Chitika is a web advertising firm, so its observations are largely restricted to data collected as people view ads served by that network. If certain devices and/or platforms have more access to ad-supported websites or apps, these numbers might be skewed.

Your point about Android's growth is well posited though.

All in all, I'm not sure if Chitika's report is worth a damn.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Atkinson View Post

Doesn't this really reflect on the growing Android market and it's participants and less on anything to do with the iPhone? In order for it to really reflect on the iPhone your pie chart should just show a comparison of just Verizon before and after it had the iPhone. The charts are really showing that more companies are selling Android devices. Is it also possible that the Other is including things like Tablets and Nooks? I don't think you can make the conclusion that you have from those charts.

The charts show that Verizon has almost 25% of the U.S. iPhone market. Where do you think those customers are coming from (at the same time their Android share is declining). Yes, some from at&t but those numbers show me a story similar to what's posted .... just connect the dots.
  • Reply 9 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Chitika estimates that Verizon carries about 23.9 percent of American iPhones, leaving AT&T with 76.1 percent.

This doesn't make any sense. Last month, Verizon reported sales of 2.3 million iphone4. Let's say there are currently 4 million iphone4 owners in Verizon. Would that mean that AT&T only has around 12 million iphone owners ? that's not likely because AT&T announced selling 4 million iphone sales last quarter alone.

The story about verizon's Android marketshare also doesn't make any sense.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 236member
    The only definite thing I take from this article is that the total percentage of Android phones on all US carriers is 100%. The rest of the comparison is meaningless. Did Verizon's actual number of units sold fall? From reading this article, who knows? The result is probably the effect of small carriers now selling Android phones as much, if not more, than the Verizon iPhone.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    It almost doesn't matter how flawed the original study is, because Daniel skews it so much it's laughable.

He claims that Verizon share going down 10% is "huge", but AT&T growing 5% is "just" a small increase.

C'mon, dude, the difference between 5% and 10% just isn't as great as you portray.
  • Reply 12 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In less than six months, Verizon Wireless' share of Android phones sold in the US has eroded from 51.4 percent to 41.1 percent, indicating a huge shift among Verizon subscribers to iPhone 4.

How does it follow that VZ customers are switching to the iPhone?

Other possibilities include VZ's total sales being down, or non-iP VZ sales going up, or other carriers selling lots of Android while VZ's Android sales are flat or even higher.

I think DED needs lessons in basic logic. He does not have enough information, and makes assumptions not supported by facts.

He may be correct, but he has scant evidence and many assumptions.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I'm part of the 23% of iPhones on Verizon. But i'm surprised that ATT has such a little android %. What the hell are they selling other than iPhone? It's crazy to think that 92% of ATT's smartphone users are iPhone, or is it?

Yeah, I was thinking the same. T-Mobile has twice the marketshare of Android as AT&T? Pretty astonishing. Maybe T-Mobile should buy AT&T.
  • Reply 14 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Fast forward to today... Apple DID put an iPhone on Verizon.... and there is no end to CDMA in sight. In fact... all Verizon phones still rely on CDMA for voice... and they will for a long time.

Can you surf the 'web while you are on the iPhone?
  • Reply 15 of 68
    "Down dramatically"... ah a fresh DED article. How's it hanging?
  • Reply 16 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

The charts show that Verizon has almost 25% of the U.S. iPhone market. Where do you think those customers are coming from (at the same time their Android share is declining). Yes, some from at&t but those numbers show me a story similar to what's posted .... just connect the dots.

There is not enough information to do anything other than hazard a WAG. That is not responsible journalism.
  • Reply 17 of 68
    Quote:

Does anyone remember before Verizon got the iPhone... people said it would be stupid for Apple to make a Verizon iPhone because CDMA is a dead end?

I think people thought Verizon was gonna shut off CDMA sometime soon... and Verizon iPhone users would have a phone that didn't work anymore...

I have no idea why CDMA hangs on to dear life. I thought GSM had won the cola wars, quite decisively. Of course, so did the metric system, and Americans couldn't care less about that
  • Reply 18 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

Can you surf the 'web while you are on the iPhone?

Nope... but you never could on CDMA. No surprises there!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I have no idea why CDMA hangs on to dear life. I thought GSM had won the cola wars, quite decisively. Of course, so did the metric system, and Americans couldn't care less about that

Yeah.... I have no idea why Verizon and Sprint chose CDMA all those years ago. But they did... and it was far too costly to switch.

However... hopefully someday everything will be LTE... which is GSM based.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    Quote:

I still think CDMA is a dead end, hasn't changed my opinion one bit. It is slow and can't handle simultaneous voice/data. More shows that Americans have been suffering for so long with paltry mobile technology that they know no better.
  • Reply 20 of 68
    Down 10% of (make up a number) 2 million = down 200,000 units

Up 5% of 100 million = up 5 million units

Insufficient data in the story to make great comparisons between the carriers unless you know the starting points. However, you could make an educated guess about the patterns inside a single carrier.