Best Buy to give away Galaxy Tabs as Apple seeks ban across all of EU

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,591member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Most likely because Samsung worked out the promotion with Best buy. it's only for their higher end (more expensive) 3D TV's, and not just any TV.

if you want a free touchpad.. maybe they'll give you one when you get a printer?

They do

But only with the high-end wide-format (latex-ink) printers in the 14K price range.
  • Reply 42 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

"Disgruntled over the matter, Best Buy reportedly refused to pay for the remaining tablets"

Whenever I hear about someone who's disgruntled, I wonder why I never hear about anyone who's been gruntled. I'm not entirely kidding - 'gruntled' is a real word. But you never hear of anyone getting their gruntle on - only losing it.

Something must be done about this. I'm doing my part.

Haha! I'm not the only one who was thinking that when I read "disgruntled".

I don't really care for Best Buy as a retailer any more. Call me gruntled.
  • Reply 43 of 70
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Sort of like when Apple was giving away a free iPod Touch .

nope. Cause Apple did the free iPod as a publicity stunt to remind folks that they have an education discount.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That's pretty much a non issue, and I doubt that anybody was trying to fool any judge, because the Judge has the actual devices in front of him to examine.

Not to mention that we haven't seen the document that was submitted. Just what someone claims is the real thing.
  • Reply 44 of 70
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

nope. Cause Apple did the free iPod as a publicity stunt to remind folks that they have an education discount.

you mean sorta like how Best Buy and Samsung are doing this as a publicity stunt to get people to buy a high end 3D tv instead of.. you know, a TV that does what they need it to without useless 3D technology.

(not to mention it's another way to push their credit card)
  • Reply 45 of 70
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    I would pay $99 for a TouchPad just out of curiosity, and I own an iPad. The thing piqued my interest despite bombing and still sort of does. A hacking scene will likely develop around them once geeks pick them up for pennies. Could be interesting from a hobbiest perspective.
  • Reply 46 of 70
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

The most frequent question will be which TV do I have to buy to get an iPad. Second will be, can I just get a discount instead of a Tab I don't want. Third, can you throw this away for me.

Good point. I'd just rather have the discount. Why should I in effect be paying Best Buy to take an item I really don't want off their hands?

But if I had to take a Tab, can I just bring it back to Best Buy next week and dump it into their recycling program?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global-P...CMP=rdr0001422

Another thought. Maybe Best Buy can hold a promotional drawing for big TV buyers. Buy one and be entered into a drawing. Winner gets to drive a bulldozer over a pile of unwanted tablets at the recycling center.
  • Reply 47 of 70
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Good point. I'd just rather have the discount. Why should I in effect be paying Best Buy to take an item I really don't want off their hands?

Actually, this offer seems like you are taking two items off of Best Buy's hands that aren't selling too well I think. In this economy, I don't think that those large 3D TV's are selling too great, and neither is the Samsung Tablet, since they're giving them away for free with the TV. Neither of the products are selling well, so they bundle them together in order to move stock.
  • Reply 48 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm on the side that's surprised that the now written-down HP tablets aren't in the promotion instead. They might get a considerable discount now that product is down for the count.

Best Buy is afraid that giving away HP TouchPads with TVs would stop people from buying TVs from Best Buy.
  • Reply 49 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
  • Reply 50 of 70
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

They have removed 2 GIGs of RAM from Apple's standard shipped stock item.

The model you linked to is the previous model, so they didn't remove 2 GIGs of RAM. They're simply selling the previous generation, because it's also listed as having a core duo 2 processor. I feel sorry for anybody who buys that old model from them now for that price though. And that's why it also comes with Snow Leopard instead of Lion.

I would of course advise anybody new to Apple to buy the products from an actual Apple store.
  • Reply 51 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The model you linked to is the previous model, so they didn't remove 2 GIGs of RAM. They're simply selling the previous generation, because it's also listed as having a core duo 2 processor. I feel sorry for anybody who buys that old model from them now for that price though. And that's why it also comes with Snow Leopard instead of Lion.

I would of course advise anybody new to Apple to buy the products from an actual Apple store.

That's even worse! UGH! Yep I went to the genuine Apple store to get the one I was after. That sort of thing doesn't do Apple proud to say the least.

We are supposed to get a real Apple Store here in Sarasota this fall ... yeah
  • Reply 52 of 70
    jahbladejahblade Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The point is not that someone will 'accidentally' buy a Samsung but that IP and first mover innovation has value and as such the owner needs to protect it. Samsung, and Google should be able to compete freely and fairly but the point at which they cross the line and copy rather than innovate something has to be done. I am not sure where that line goes but consider for a moment what the landscape was like before IOS.

At which point do you think that protecting your IP becomes anti-competitive? Is there a point at which Apple, in your opinion, rightfully can say 'wait a minute - you're just copying us', and try to prevent that?

Well said!
  • Reply 53 of 70
    I'm in need of a new Samsung 46 inch 3D LED/LCD TV after it was stolen. Since HP engineers hacked the iPad to run WebOS, is there a hack to run iOS on HP Tablet? Would be nice to have a free tablet and wait for iPad 3 to come out.
  • Reply 54 of 70
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Talking of BestBuy ... sorry slightly off topic but a warning to likely Apple buyers ...

BestBuy are advertising MacBook Airs at a discount. They have the price for example of a MBA 13" 256 GIG Flash version at $1,499 and a sign saying originally $1,599 this, as we know this being Apple's standard price.

What they fail to say and although it is there in print also it is very easy to miss ... They have removed 2 GIGs of RAM from Apple's standard shipped stock item. So if you have read up and know all 13" MBAs have 4 GIGs of RAM now you may totally assume so does BestBuy's version.

This is gross deception IMHO. Not to mention if Apple deem a standard 13" MBA has 4 GIGs of RAM this is possibly damaging an end users experience. Plus I contend showing the original price as identical to Apple's 4 GIG version is very sneaky. BestBuy are saying in essence a MBA with 2 GIGs of RAM is usually $1,599 which is not true unless BestBuy normally charges more than Apple.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%26...0air&cp=1&lp=8

On top of that they have MBPs on demo with Lion but the ones in the box they sell have Snow Leopard ... Apple should police these cowboys more closely!

It's not Apple's fault that you're not paying attention.

It is very common for retailers to sell older versions along side of the newer version. That's what Best Buy is doing. IMHO, the discount is not sufficient to make it a good deal, but someone might want the older version.
  • Reply 55 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's not Apple's fault that you're not paying attention.

It is very common for retailers to sell older versions along side of the newer version. That's what Best Buy is doing. IMHO, the discount is not sufficient to make it a good deal, but someone might want the older version.

I was, hence the post. I observed others being taken in, I wasn't. I owned Apple dealerships and expect a higher standard of representation of Apple's interests even if you don't.

I removed my post since it was so badly misunderstood by you, I have to assume others would misunderstand it too. I was just trying to help unsuspecting new Apple buyers.

However, the fact remains BestBuy offer what appears to be state of the art Macs, that are not, at bargain prices to the uninformed and I think that isn't good.
  • Reply 56 of 70
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    The value of something you give away for free is "0". Samsung finally figured out the percieved value of their tab.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Best Buy this weekend will kick-off an aggressive promo that offers a free Galaxy Tab 10.1 to buyers of certain HDTVs, possibly hinting that yet another iPad rival is in need of a stimulus to combat poor sales, assuming Samsung can keep it on the market. ][/url][/c]

The same sort of offer is being made by Harvey Norman, a NZ and Australian equivalent store. Seems that Samsung will be able to boast of mega sales of the Galaxy Tab in NZ as we are just starting the change to digital TV. Analog TV transmissions are ceasing by 2013 in NZ.
  • Reply 58 of 70
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:

Sort of like when Apple was giving away a free iPod Touch (and now an iTV) with the purchase of a Mac "possibly hinting... need of a stimulus to combat poor sales" \

As for the rest of this 'article', my position has always been that the chances of someone walking into an electronics store and purchasing a Samsung Galaxy device somehow thinking it was an Apple product are nearly infinitesimal, if for no other reason than the fact that the device is clearly labeled SAMSUNG on its surface, start-up screen, and packaging, in addition to running a completely different operating system.

Actions such as these should be seen for exactly what they are, anti-competitive attempts to stifle the competition by any means...legal, ethical or otherwise.

Your funny.
  • Reply 59 of 70
    Samsung did this just to get the product in people's hands. People really don't know what a tablet is and why they should spend 500 dollars on one or 500 on a budget laptop. By placing it right in the consumers hands It allows them to let people use it and see how useful a tablet is. This will lead to much greater sells when those customers want to replace them with a later generation. This happened with my mother she wanted a new computer then ilet her use my 10.1 now she wants one her self. Before she did not know what a tablet was.
  • Reply 60 of 70
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Sort of like when Apple was giving away a free iPod Touch (and now an iTV) with the purchase of a Mac "possibly hinting... need of a stimulus to combat poor sales" \

I'm not aware of this practice .... perhaps you could provide a link to back up this statement.