Photos may show iPhone 5's battery, camera module and audio flex cable

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With the release of Apple's fifth-generation iPhone rapidly approaching, a few more photos have surface online allegedly portraying some of the third-party components that will go into the new handset.

In particular, TVC Mall on Monday began listing for sale on its website what it claims are the iPhone 5's battery pack, rear camera and audio flex components. However, as is often the case with Apple components that leak onto part suppliers websites, precise specifications are unavailable.

While the parts are clearly distinct from those shipping in the iPhone 4, they are similar enough that they don't provide any clues to indicate whether the iPhone 5 will arrive in a completely new industrial design or adopt the enclosure of the existing model.

One analysis compared the parts to those found in the iPhone 4 and found that the purported iPhone 5 battery power specifications of 3.7V and 5.3Whr are roughly the same as the iPhone 4's battery, which is listed as 3.7V and 5.25Whr. The new part also carry's a plausible part number of 616-0580 compared to the iPhone 4 part which carries part number 616-0513 or 616-0521.

Similarly, the back camera module allegedly depicting the iPhone 5's rumored 8-megapixel lens largely mirrors the 5-megapixel module found in the iPhone 4, though it appears slightly more refined. It appears noticeably different, however, from a purported iPhone 5 rear camera module that appeared a few months back without an attached LED flash, bringing the authenticity of at least one of the two parts into question.

That earlier photo, seen below, sparked rumors that Apple would separate the LED flash from the iPhone 5's camera module, while separate reports that surfaced around the same time suggested Apple could also introduce a dual-LED flash system on the new handset.

The third and final alleged iPhone 5 part, the audio flex cable, is described on the TVC Mall website as "an entire*headphone audio system for iPhone 5, containing the*headphone jack, volume controls and*the silence/ ring switch." Of all the parts, it's the most distinct in appearance from the versions shipping in the iPhone 4 but is at the same time still somewhat unrevealing.

It's widely rumored (and expected) that Apple will introduce its fifth-generation iPhone sometime in the next 6 weeks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) This pieces look legit to me.

2) Why can't AI have these stupid spam posts auto-deleted?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Because it's often an incredibly time-consuming task.

I used to run a very small discussion forum for pottery collectors. We only got a few posts a week and dozens (perhaps a couple hundred in a very busy week) of viewers a week. Yet I averaged 50-100 spam posts per day, even though all the site filters and spam protection were installed. Apparently, they found a way to get around Captcha or else they posts were being done by humans.

AFAIC, spam should be a felony and spammers should be locked up for years. And make them do real work to support themselves.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I used to run a very small discussion forum for pottery collectors. We only got a few posts a week and dozens (perhaps a couple hundred in a very busy week) of viewers a week. Yet I averaged 50-100 spam posts per day, even though all the site filters and spam protection were installed. Apparently, they found a way to get around Captcha or else they posts were being done by humans.

AFAIC, spam should be a felony and spammers should be locked up for years. And make them do real work to support themselves.

It's easy to have a program read through post text at submission and automatically perma-ban users for posting certain strings.

We apparently have some set up here for some Australian site or something. Post the name of that site (or its URL) and you're instantly banned when you hit submit.

It can be applied to all spam like this, but the text is often too generic to perma-ban.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Breaking news: Next iphone will have parts
  • Reply 5 of 20
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I think vBulletin had rules for finding deleting such posts. They all seems to mention dollar values several times, follow a format, and be repeated across many threads despite being new users. If they do use rules I don't think it would be touch to clean this up automatically.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:

I think vBulletin had rules for finding deleting such posts. They all seems to mention dollar values several times, follow a format, and be repeated across many threads despite being new users. If they do use rules I don't think it would be touch to clean this up automatically.

At the least AI should have moderators that don't all live on the West Coast of the US. It seems these spam posts hang around until it's time to go to work in California. I report spam posts promptly as soon as I see them.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Update: That have been found to be different than their previous counterparts!
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

There is also a huge uptick in comments spam over the last few months.

I'm a mod at another site and one can spend a *lot* of time deleting and blocking IP's and they come back quite regularly.

The real solution is to take away the computers from the idiots who've allowed them to be taken over by spam bots and viruses and give them an iPad instead. A lot of people are just too dumb to work a real computer.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

1) This pieces look legit to me.

That's spam? So you mean I'm not going to be able to get a 42" TV for $70?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    wonder how long you get to keep your relationship with Apple after your the named source of leaks.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    You know something weird? I have been pumped about iPhone 5 ever since i decided to skip iPhone 4. Then when it became clear the iP5 was not going to arrive in June/July, I wanted it even more. From there, as the rumors began to swirl in the last 3 months and the mock-ups have surfaced I was in a frenzy.

But now...I am sortof feeling ambivalent. I'm starting to think I might stick with my 3Gs. This could change once they announce the event (if they ever do), but I am just not really caring right now. I don't have the energy.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    "carry's"? Plea'se fi'x!

"8-megapixel lens"? When did lenses start getting megapixels? They're pieces of glass or plastic.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    the iPhone 5, gizmodo chen. what say you?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

We have a plugin with regular expression rules. It was adapted specifically for this forum because vBulletin doesn't have enough features built-in and it has over 1200 rules in place, again all written specifically to tackle the spam on this forum.

The filter catches about 20-70 unique spammers per day (auto-banned and removed - it must be well over 30,000 accounts by now). We also block IPs. Captcha technology has been overcome since the beginning of this year - it's kind of based on a flawed assumption. They pick images that can't be scanned by OCR software but the assumption they make is that the software they use to make this judgement is the best OCR software that anyone has and clearly that's not the case.

There's also the issue of hiring low cost employees to signup accounts manually, which they sell in bulk and can subsequently be abused by bots.

The filter is a balancing act between allowing huge legitimate posts to go through without triggering it but still preventing fairly generic spam posts.

Unfortunately, the only way to 100% guarantee no visible spam is to quarantine every single new user and it's just easier to remove the handful that get past the filter. Most of them can't come back once they are added but some of them are difficult like the one in this thread who has changed domains and IPs a few times.

This site is a particular draw for spam because it's popular. A thread posted just 2 days ago already has over 25,000 views.

More mods is like playing whack-a-mole with more players. It seems like it's a solution but it doesn't stop the spam coming back and we have a variety of timezones covered already. Moderatorship is also seen by many as a role of acclaim rather than responsibility and for the first few days the job is easy but it gets old very quickly. Ultimately, spam has to be filtered or have IPs blocked or else you'd just have to remove it every single day, which isn't fun. The filter and IP blocks will be improved over time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley

Indeed it will. So far we know there's a battery and a camera. Still in question though is if it still has a screen, CPU, GPU, RAM, Flash memory and a case. If all they introduce with the iPhone 5 is a camera hooked up to a battery, you heard it here first.

I guess we're supposed to look at the product numbers and check if it's the 8MPixel camera nobody cares about or if the battery is 5% larger meaning a little more usage time. In the end, I think people just want to know what it will look like.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Kinda disappointed to hear that the iPhone 5 will still be using batteries and physical cameras.

Will probably hold off for a "post-smartphone" device.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Kinda disappointed to hear that the iPhone 5 will still be using batteries and physical cameras.

Will probably hold off for a "post-smartphone" device.

ROFL!
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

a few more photos have surface online

The new part also carry's a plausible part number of 616-0580 compared to the iPhone 4 part which carries part number 616-0513 or 616-0521.

The typos just keep coming. The second one even has it right later on in the same sentence. Please, someone do some proofreading.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    The last two photos could be of the iPhone 5 front-facing camera and the iPod Touch rear-facing camera (no flash). Or both are from the iPod Touch. Or iPad even. Why are parts leaks automatically attributed to the iPhone, as if that were Apple's only product?
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Oops double-post chocolatey goodness.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

This is the modern version of poring over chicken entrails to predict the future.