Apple's 2 year old iPhone 3GS America's second popular smartphone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I think the thing is, a lot of people run their monthly budgets pretty tight and a mobile phone contract is probably already baked into that. Just because they have already planned for the monthly outlay doesn't necessarily mean an extra $150 isn't a big deal to them.

Just because you or I can afford an extra $150 whenever we want something, doesn't mean it's not a big deal to someone else.

Postpone getting the smartphone by two or three months, and with the money saved on the contract you can get a much better model.

I guess those people also ate their marshmallow when they were 5 years old

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanfor...low_experiment
  • Reply 22 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

Yes, except the lineup will now be the one year old is the middle and a brand new one will be the low end.

Everyone is disagreeing with me, but writing exactly what is puzzling me. Why not let the current or "one year old" model be the low end of the "new" spectrum and the newest is the top of the line. The 3GS is still the bargain or entry level.

I'm not sure if people are disagreeing with you or not but your communication could be more clear. These devices have specific names so using two references and using quotes to define them isn't' necessary.

From what I can gather you think the 5th gen. iPhone will be the flagship model, the iPhone 4 will be the mid-tier model, and the iPhone 3GS will be the bottom-tier model. That certainly makes sense even if economics of scale make it more cost effective to use the A4 chip over the current Cortex-A8 in the bottom-tier design. Its plastic and LowDPI display still make it comparatively inexpensive.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    So, not only is the iPhone 4 the #1 phone in America, but the iPhone 3GS, which is more than two years old now, holds the #2 spot and is beating the crap out of every single other phone on the market, bar none.

If I were an annoying little Android twerp, I'd frantically and desperately try to change the subject in order to deny reality, and I'd make my delusional mind feel slightly better by saying that all Android phones, all added up together into one lovely, fractured mess, and made by every phone manufacturer on the planet that is not Apple, does indeed sell more than Apple phones do.

People who buy iPhones are people who know quality when they see it, and they aren't afraid to pay to have the best.

People who buy Android phones do not mind having an inferior OS. A few of these people are simply Apple haters. They belong to the anything but Apple crowd. Besides a few angry, clueless, not very technically minded geeks on a few forums, this crowd is tiny and irrelevant. Many people who buy Android phones are simply people who are economically disadvantaged and lesser educated. A recent survey backs up my assertions.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm not sure if people are disagreeing with you or not but your communication could be more clear. These devices have specific names so using two references and using quotes to define them isn't' necessary.

From what I can gather you think the 5th gen. iPhone will be the flagship model, the iPhone 4 will be the mid-tier model, and the iPhone 3GS will be the bottom-tier model. That certainly makes sense even if economics of scale make it more cost effective to use the A4 chip over the current Cortex-A8 in the bottom-tier design. Its plastic and LowDPI display still make it comparatively inexpensive.

So what is the name of the new low end iPhone 4 that this article talks about and I quoted in my original post? That is the one I am talking about and short of calling it "iphone 4 lite" I don't know what to call it.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Postpone getting the smartphone by two or three months, and with the money saved on the contract you can get a much better model.

I guess those people also ate their marshmallow when they were 5 years old

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanfor...low_experiment

I don't disagree with you - that's what I used to do, but......

If you're running your budget tight, maybe you only have $10 to spare every month, so they might have saved $50, but getting to $200+ would take a long time. I'm making the assumption that most people already have a phone contract, so that's a monthly cost they are already dealing with.

I know it seems kind of absurd - it's hard for me to imagine people having so little spare per month, but I'm one of the lucky ones. There are people in the current economy who scrape everything together to make rent. It's an easy argument that if they are in that dire financial straits they shouldn't be buying mobile phones, but again, if someone does run their budget tight, but can scrape $50 together, I can see the 3GS as being a really good option.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

People who buy Android phones do not mind having an inferior OS...

I think you are entirely wrong. I am sure that people who buy Android would be happy to have a better Android. They may know very well that iOS is more stable (likely) or has more features (less likely), but that doesn't help because they prefer Google's ecosystem.

On the contrary, people buying 3GS know there is a better option of what they want yet they still go for the inferior one just to save a few bucks.

Or you would perhaps say that one man is stupid for choosing a homelier girl when there are so many good looking beaus around.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I'm making the assumption that most people already have a phone contract, so that's a monthly cost they are already dealing with...

Just cancel the contract if you're strapped for cash. No one really NEEDS a personal data plan.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple, time to make that 3GS available on every US carrier. Do it for the kids...

LOL. I still wouldn't buy a 3GS for my kids though. As the article mentioned the cost is not too different for an iPhone 4. It's that damn data plan. Kids don't need that.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Quote:

Just cancel the contract if you're strapped for cash. No one really NEEDS a personal data plan.

No, that's true, but at the same time, I'm not going to tell someone what they can and can't spend their money on.

The only point I was trying to make is, just because money is no object for you, doesn't mean others aren't in a different position.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 'Apple

[;1926608'

If I were an annoying little Android twerp, I'd frantically and desperately try to change the subject in order to deny reality, and I'd make my delusional mind feel slightly better by saying that all Android phones, all added up together into one lovely, fractured mess, and made by every phone manufacturer on the planet that is not Apple, does indeed sell more than Apple phones do.

But if you were an average user of an Android phone, you wouldn't care one way or the the other about iPhone sales volumes.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,262member
    Quote:

People who buy Android phones do not mind having an inferior OS. A few of these people are simply Apple haters. They belong to the anything but Apple crowd. Besides a few angry, clueless, not very technically minded geeks on a few forums, this crowd is tiny and irrelevant. Many people who buy Android phones are simply people who are economically disadvantaged and lesser educated. A recent survey backs up my assertions.

Which recent survey would that be? Link?
  • Reply 32 of 52
    crimguycrimguy Posts: 124member
    I bought a second hand 3GS from my suite-mate for about $75, replacing my 3G. I've had no desire to update until recently, when I got a small crack in the screen, and the connector is bent (doesn't want to charge 1/2 the time). Otherwise it's a great phone, and I'm not surprised at its' continued use.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Quote:
    1. Apple iPhone 4

2. Apple iPhone 3GS

3. HTC EVO 4G

4. HTC Inspire 4G

5. Samsung INTENSITYII <== You gotta check this out!

I think the Intensity is the pre-paid phone that one, or maybe two of the low-cost carriers'are offering? That would be a big vote for Apple getting in the pre-pay market!
  • Reply 34 of 52
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Which recent survey would that be? Link?

I'm not claiming that this is scientifically accurate or anything like that. Many of the questions are silly and it's probably mostly for entertainment purposes, but they did survey 15,818 Hunch users and they crossed those responses with answers from dozens of other "Teach Hunch about you" questions, totaling 80+ million responses. Many other surveys, such as political surveys, which are conducted by major news organizations survey far less people.

For example, an Android user is 80% more likely to have only a high school diploma.

• Reply 35 of 52
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

Android needs to be compared to iOS, which is software, and not the iPhones, which are hardware.

I believe last quarter there were more Android devices activated than iOS devices.

There should be a big jump when the iPhone5 comes along and next year when we get the iPad3. Christmas will be an interesting quarter to se the figures for.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:

For example, an Android user is 80% more likely to have only a high school diploma.

I wonder if this is because there are a lot more students with Android phones so they are still working on higher qualifications.

Those facts make Apple users look old and even boring. Is Apple losing young people and their cool image?
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Quote:

I'm not claiming that this is scientifically accurate or anything like that. Many of the questions are silly and it's probably mostly for entertainment purposes, but they did survey 15,818 Hunch users and they crossed those responses with answers from dozens of other "Teach Hunch about you" questions, totaling 80+ million responses. Many other surveys, such as political surveys, which are conducted by major news organizations survey far less people.

Ah, the knuckle-draggers vs. educated elite survey!

Since you had the wisdom to realize it was tongue-in-cheek for the most part you must be an Apple owner.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    Quote:

Please be careful throwing around expressions like "no one really needs". People's circumstances are different, and it's impossible to anticipate everyone's.

My brother for example does NEED a personal data plan on his phone because he travels and needs access to email for his job, and by using his phone as a modem he has been able to get rid of his home internet connection, actually saving him money overall.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:
    1. Apple iPhone 4

2. Apple iPhone 3GS

3. HTC EVO 4G

4. HTC Inspire 4G

5. Samsung INTENSITYII <== You gotta check this out!

BTW, do you have the link to this Solipsism? I'm assuming it's the NPD Group results.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

I wonder if this is because there are a lot more students with Android phones so they are still working on higher qualifications.

Those facts make Apple users look old and even boring. Is Apple losing young people and their cool image?

Yup, according to this survey iPhone users are most likely to be high-maintenance, middle-aged women.

D'oh.