Anonymous developer sees app registrations from dual-mode 'iPhone 5'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,591member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I haven't seen a single smartphone on the market that supports penta-band UMTS, quad-band GSM, and dual-band CDMA.

Solipsism, is the Samsung Galaxy S2 pretty close to being a "world-phone"? Serious question. I don't know nearly as much about what would constitute one as you do.

Quote:

"The SII is a quad-band GSM and quad-band W-CDMA handset with HSPA data. . ."

Quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900

Quad band UMTS 850/900/1900/2100
  • Reply 22 of 23
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Solipsism, is the Samsung Galaxy S2 pretty close to being a "world-phone"? Serious question. I don't know nearly as much about what would constitute one as you do.

Quote:

"The SII is a quad-band GSM and quad-band W-CDMA handset with HSPA data. . ."

Based on your quoted text it's not, even though having quad-band GSM '2G' does technically mean it'll work in more countries and places than any other single network options.

For Apple to want to sell a single iPhone throughout the world we are looking for CDMA '2G', CDMA2000 '3G', GSM '2G' and UMTS* '3G' with all the associated radio frequencies. However, that would still be excluding China Mobile's homegrown '3G' network, TD-SDCMA.

Can they add all that all in there? The only boards I've seen that support that are Qualcomm "Gobi" chips for larger devices, not smartphones. Mayne Apple is waiting on shrinkage from Qualcomm hence the delay.

* UMTS includes HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+.

PS: Check out what goes for a "world mode" phone on Verizon and Sprint. You get a Phone locked to that CDMA carrier and the GSM and UMTS unlocked, but you only get a single frequency for UMTS which prevents its use in N. America. You could still use the GSM as it's the standard quad-band but you don't get the benefit of '3G' speeds.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,591member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Based on your quoted text it's not, even though having quad-band GSM '2G' does technically mean it'll work in more countries and places than any other single network options.

For Apple to want to sell a single iPhone throughout the world we are looking for CDMA '2G', CDMA2000 '3G', GSM '2G' and UMTS* '3G' with all the associated radio frequencies. However, that would still be excluding China Mobile's homegrown '3G' network, TD-SDCMA.

Can they add all that all in there? The only boards I've seen that support that are Qualcomm "Gobi" chips for larger devices, not smartphones. Mayne Apple is waiting on shrinkage from Qualcomm hence the delay.

* UMTS includes HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+.

PS: Check out what goes for a "world mode" phone on Verizon and Sprint. You get a Phone locked to that CDMA carrier and the GSM and UMTS unlocked, but you only get a single frequency for UMTS which prevents its use in N. America. You could still use the GSM as it's the standard quad-band but you don't get the benefit of '3G' speeds.

Thank you sir!

I did note that the Galaxy also "supports quadband UMTS (that's 850/900/1900/2100) which will allow it to work on AT&T's 3G network thanks to the 850/1900 bands. This means that those willing to spend an exorbitant amount to import the unlocked phone will be able to get Samsung's flagship working in the US. "

Of course it's supposedly going to arrive here within another couple of weeks anyway, just in time to be supplanted by another even higher-end Android phone.