Apple to launch iPhone 5 simultaneously with AT&T, Verizon and Sprint

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TitanTiger View Post

Geez. Been waiting and hoping Apple would bring the iPhone to TMo and give them a fighting chance, and now it looks like they're going to be left out. I hate corporate asskissing bullshit.

my tmo unlocked iPhone (@the apple store) works AWESOME-LY! yeah, i paid extra $ up front but i own it outright, and at $70 unlimited no tax or fees--and a strong signal here in hayes valley, sf--i'm pretty happy!
  • Reply 22 of 43
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

If this happens I will finally give up on our leaders (politicians having their pockets lined by lobbyists) and governmental organizations (FCC in this case) doing anything fair and honest.

Don't tell me you actually bought that "Hope and Change" garbage from the current crop of nitwits who told you things were going to be different when they governed us and were beguiled into thinking they would actually be open and honest, "most transparent", I believe they said versus the previous governing nitwits?! Truly we are smarter than the bozos in Congress give us credit for.

/

/

/
  • Reply 23 of 43
    I would leave AT&T for Credo Mobile if Sprint gets the iPhone.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    kochikochi Posts: 1member
    America was not the last market to lose carrier exclusivity.

Softbank is still the exclusive carrier in Japan and this does not look like it will change anytime soon. Unlocked iPhones are not sold by Apple Japan either.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

1. TMo has been dogging on the iPhone in ads.

So did Verizon when the Droid first came out.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    anim8ranim8r Posts: 13member
    The US was the only country to have carrier exclusivity.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Not true. A number of other countries had carrier exclusivity before they were opened up to others.

I know T-Mobile in Germany used to be the exclusive carrier as well as O2 in UK initially and Orange in France. Both AT&T in the USA and Softbank in Japan were also exclusive carriers (the latter still may be).

There are a lot of small markets where there is only one iPhone carrier.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anim8r View Post

The US was the only country to have carrier exclusivity.

Not by a long shot.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I am on T-Mobile with an iPhone. I have no data plan. Life will be good until the government sells us out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I can't afford it in the first place. I won an iPhone on Day One 2007

and I've just used it as an everything-but-a-phone ever since. It's a great device. I wish I could have been able to waste my money on the nonsensical plans back then (and now), but I can't afford it. I have an LG VX5300 that I use as a phone phone. No data (it can't do anything with it, anyway), and texting's blocked. I carry my iPhone in my other pocket and things work out fine.

• Reply 30 of 43
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    You better complain loudly to the politicians and/or lock yourself in to a T-Mobile plan. Once AT&T takes over, the good days will end.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

my tmo unlocked iPhone (@the apple store) works AWESOME-LY! yeah, i paid extra $ up front but i own it outright, and at $70 unlimited no tax or fees--and a strong signal here in hayes valley, sf--i'm pretty happy!

• Reply 31 of 43
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TitanTiger View Post

So did Verizon when the Droid first came out.

I think tMobile is still running the ads and I doubt Apple will build spectrum support into a phone guessing what T will do with it. I do think my opinioned reason two is the stronger. I recall Verizon end the iPhone bashing long in advance of Feb 2011.

I am interested to hear what T is going to do with 1900MHz. I'm thinking it's more about the towers and the 33mil subscribers.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    I sure thought T-Mobile would be the first carrier to get the iPhone after AT&T.

I was waaayy off!
  • Reply 33 of 43
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I just pooped my pants. Now woz can carry around three phones instead of just two.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I am on T-Mobile with an iPhone. I have no data plan. Life will be good until the government sells us out.

There's no T-Mobile service where I live. We had great Centennial service, but then the exact same thing happened; AT&T bought them and made it impossible to get a data-free plan.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

I sure thought T-Mobile would be the first carrier to get the iPhone after AT&T.

I was waaayy off!

From a logical PoV looking at the cost to bring it to market it's a solid guess. All theat would be required is the radio to support the AWS band. With Verizon it's an entire new cellular archeticture. T-Mo is also much like AT&T back in 2006 than they are Verizon in that they were a bit desperate. Also, Apple already had been working with their parent company Duetsche Telecom.

In gambling you go with the odds not with your gut feeling.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

I agree. Another CDMA carrier....big deal. Still the same old slow, no data/voice multitasking CDMA drawbacks.

I Agree about SPRINT! as a WHOPPE-DA-dun-DEE, but my friend if you could get with the times a little more..CDMA/4g/LTE does truly multitask. I get speeds of 30 Mgb per second in the speed test.com in my neighborhood. That buy no means is slow. With LTE you can make your silly call & surf your last minute reservation that you forgot about or whatever & Yes even better....You don't get a DROP CALLED. Yes, & you know what I'm talking about.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theobold View Post

I get speeds of 30 Mgb per second in the speed test.com in my neighborhood.

30 Megagigabits per second??? Jeez... Is that 8G or 9G?
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

If this happens I will finally give up on our leaders (politicians having their pockets lined by lobbyists) and governmental organizations (FCC in this case) doing anything fair and honest.

I have pretty much had it with cell phones / smartphones anyway. If this merger goes through. I will finally cancel my cell (no contract at this point) account with AT&T and just go back to using Skype as my home phone via my Macbook/iPod Touch/iPad.

Some people really do need a smart phone / cell phone, but 90% of us really don't NEED one.

I can save the $80.00 + tax each month. How about you?

$80 d

a month does not change my life so why bother...I need my iPhone no matter what the plan costs
  • Reply 39 of 43
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jman2u View Post

30 Megagigabits per second??? Jeez... Is that 8G or 9G?

Neither... He just didn't notice the little Wifi symbol being on.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    I don't know why this is being twisted into bad news by a few.

This should be great news if it is actually true, even if only for the data plan aspect of it. With Sprint, there's no cap, no speed downgrades mid-month, nothing. Just all you can consume data.

This means more competition and with a decently priced carrier.