AirPlay credited with winning Apple' movie market share in iTunes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

Microsoft actually has a market share! Way to go, guys!

I agree, AirPlay within the house is fun to play with but not much use. I can stream everything through the Apple TV without it. I have never tried it, but suppose I sync a movie onto my iPad, then visit a friend who has an Apple TV. Wouldn't I be able to stream the movie from my iPad to their Apple TV? Anyone try that?

Sure you could, as long as the friend will give you the login and password to connect to their Itunes Home Sharing.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rutherware View Post

Yep, this does not compute. AirPlay is cool for gaming. But when many (or most) mid to high-end modern TVs are internet enabled with apps for Netflix, Hulu+, or connected to iTunes I see no compelling reason to use AirPlay to watch a movie.

Unless you have a large collection of Movies and TV programmes on your Mac, like I do. I have a library of over 1,500 episodes and over 150 HD movies which I stream to the Apple TV in my living room and to the kids Xbox 360's.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

You have no idea how right you are. Here is a scenario - kid goes to school, prof uses iPad to show stuff on screen, kid comes home showed to parents, parent poop their pants and want one too.

Now dad comes home from work, but he is not pissed this time, he is exited about what IT showed off for presentations and wats one at home.

All go to store, see that apple tv is just 99 and grab it. Of course they already have the iPad.

No need to wave at Xbox like an idiot, or wait till kids are done fragging. Just fire up the movie from ipad.

I think is gonna be huge boon for movie renting for iTunes.

So your basic premises are:

a) A kid gets excited seeing the AppleTV used as a wireless projector

b) The dad gets excited seeing the AppleTV used as a wireless projector

c) They'll finding it exciting to waste their wireless network's bandwidth by streaming a movie to an iPad and then redundantly streaming it to the AppleTV instead of just streaming directly to the AppleTV

d) Somehow since the AppleTV and Xbox are hooked up to the same TV, there won't be a need to wait for the kids to be done playing their game before playing the movie.

e) You don't understand that you can use the Xbox controller to navigate the entire interface, no Kinect arm waving necessary.

Slightly unrelated, but the PS3's current slogan is, "It just does everything." Maybe the AppleTV slogan can be, "It just doesn't do much."
  • Reply 24 of 24
    Concerning AirPlay, I have a question related to the HBO GO service. I've tried to ask this question other places, but I've gotten conflicting answers. Is this or is this service not compatible with AirPlay?

I'm not much of a movie fan. But I'd planned on getting an AppleTV to go with my iPod Touch around the holidays. I would keep HBO mainly for the GO service, but only if it's compatible with the the AppleTV and AirPlay, just so I could catch up on some of the older series that I enjoyed the first time around.

I'm not interested in jailbreaks or configuring a myriad of cables - just AirPlay... a seemingly sweet & simple solution. Anyone?

Thanks in advance.