New Apple CEO Tim Cook e-mails employees: 'Our best years lie ahead'

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I had read 2 articles that stated that Amelio was in the boardroom with Jobs when Ives and the design team showed the translucent case (strange thing... some articles said that Ives became the head of design under Amelio in 96 and others say that happened in 97 under Jobs. Regardless... I found the article with the quote from Ives that clarifies the whole thing.

Interesting note... 43% of the buyers of the first iMac were new Mac users... and Apple sold 800,000 of them in the first 5 months. It makes me wonder how many Apple would have sold had they put in an extra drive bay under the cd tray... considering that was the biggest bitch at the time. I know I held back for 2 years and then bought the grey special edition model... I wasn't sure how the iMac was going to fly when it was introduced.

Can you post that Ives quote link?

I came from a Mac II and we had a White (upgraded) LaserWriter from the computer store days. We didn't use the Mac much so it was no great shock to lose mini-floppy capability. I bought a LaCie USB hard drive and was able to move files between the 2 Macs.

It was amazing the work you could accomplish on that simple system!
  • Reply 142 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Can you post that Ives quote link?

I came from a Mac II and we had a White (upgraded) LaserWriter from the computer store days. We didn't use the Mac much so it was no great shock to lose mini-floppy capability. I bought a LaCie USB hard drive and was able to move files between the 2 Macs.

It was amazing the work you could accomplish on that simple system!

From Post 134:

But some things about the iMac are not so new.

The all-in-one monitor and computer design is an Apple hallmark, going back to the first Macintosh in 1984, Ives said. When interim Chief Executive Officer Steve Jobs approached the design team one year ago to talk about building what would become the iMac, he was clear he wanted to build on this historic form while at the same time updating it, Ives said. When Apple was struggling with its product strategy several years ago, the machines were becoming more and more conservative and in line with the "beige box" status quo, which wasn't Apple's philosophy, Ives said.

"One thing most people don't know is that Steve Jobs is an exceptional designer," he said. Jobs was involved throughout iMac's entire design life cycle, which Ives called "a vigorous intellectual process." A small team of designers worked like maniacs for several months to come up with the design, which was largely informed by what consumers wanted, he said.

First, people wanted a smaller PC that was easy to pick up and move; this was especially true in Europe and Asia where living spaces are smaller, Ives said. Ives put a large handle on the back "that invites people to pick it up and touch it," he said. Second, they wanted ease of use, fewer cables to connect and no complicated documentation to read when setting up the machine.

"We tried to do things in a simple, elegant way," Ives said. Most computer makers don't realize how afraid many people are of computers; Apple wanted the iMac to be "approachable," he said. The idea that the iMac comes in one box, has clear plastic that catches the light and shows its changing nature and has a shape that "looks like it just arrived" all contribute to the overall approachability and appeal of the machine, Ives said.

He is also heading up the design team responsible for the upcoming portable consumer Macintosh due out in mid-1999, but Ives wouldn't give any hints about how it may look. Because iMac's design was such a departure from the traditional PC, people are expecting something revolutionary for the portable version as well, he said.

"Expectation is extraordinarily high, it's a bit scary," Ives admitted.

Found in this article:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/8117/...hind_imac.html
  • Reply 143 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

From Post 134:

But some things about the iMac are not so new.

The all-in-one monitor and computer design is an Apple hallmark, going back to the first Macintosh in 1984, Ives said. When interim Chief Executive Officer Steve Jobs approached the design team one year ago to talk about building what would become the iMac, he was clear he wanted to build on this historic form while at the same time updating it, Ives said. When Apple was struggling with its product strategy several years ago, the machines were becoming more and more conservative and in line with the "beige box" status quo, which wasn't Apple's philosophy, Ives said.

"One thing most people don't know is that Steve Jobs is an exceptional designer," he said. Jobs was involved throughout iMac's entire design life cycle, which Ives called "a vigorous intellectual process." A small team of designers worked like maniacs for several months to come up with the design, which was largely informed by what consumers wanted, he said.

First, people wanted a smaller PC that was easy to pick up and move; this was especially true in Europe and Asia where living spaces are smaller, Ives said. Ives put a large handle on the back "that invites people to pick it up and touch it," he said. Second, they wanted ease of use, fewer cables to connect and no complicated documentation to read when setting up the machine.

"We tried to do things in a simple, elegant way," Ives said. Most computer makers don't realize how afraid many people are of computers; Apple wanted the iMac to be "approachable," he said. The idea that the iMac comes in one box, has clear plastic that catches the light and shows its changing nature and has a shape that "looks like it just arrived" all contribute to the overall approachability and appeal of the machine, Ives said.

He is also heading up the design team responsible for the upcoming portable consumer Macintosh due out in mid-1999, but Ives wouldn't give any hints about how it may look. Because iMac's design was such a departure from the traditional PC, people are expecting something revolutionary for the portable version as well, he said.

"Expectation is extraordinarily high, it's a bit scary," Ives admitted.

Found in this article:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/8117/...hind_imac.html

Thanks! Can't argue with that!. We were wrong! Nothing bad about that -- we [should] learn from being wrong and failing.
  • Reply 144 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Thanks! Can't argue with that!. We were wrong! Nothing bad about that -- we [should] learn from being wrong and failing.

I should be a genius by now...
  • Reply 145 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Nah, the $1 salary was a tax maneuver.

Steve already rakes in $30 million annually in Disney dividends.

He really doesn't need a token salary. He'd mostly chew it up on income taxes and FICA/FICAMED (the latter which he'd never recover) plus Apple Inc. would have to kick in the employer portion for the latter. Stock option grants are a better way to compensate Steve. Capital gains are taxed at a lower rate than wages.

You're forgetting a small detail. Dividends are taxed as income, so Jobs has to pay income tax on dividends that the received from Disney.

It could be that the $1 salary is a tax maneuver, but the fact remains that his salary is mostly non-guaranteed. The company has to do well in order for him to get paid well.
  • Reply 146 of 146
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted