Email scam targets MobileMe users with iCloud upgrade bait

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Stourque is right. What the previous poster Slang4Art said is akin to "if she got raped it's her problem she was too skimpily dressed". So I second his harsh words.

While that example is, of course, completely right, it's fundamentally different from this thread's topic and so the point stands.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Nice little house you have there, "Stephanie". Could that knock at your front door be the FBI?

• Reply 23 of 25
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Honestly, what? What in the world makes you think that kind of response is an acceptable reply to what he said?

Or maybe you fell for it and are lashing out.

No, I didn't fall for it, but it is easy to see how some might. In any case, to say that someone deserved to be ripped off - well I thought I used the appropriate term.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The easiest way to tell it's a scam is to hover over the link, but then iOS doesn't let one hover.

Could be a problem.

Press and hold on a link. You then have two options "Go to address" and "Copy". However, above that, is usually the URL.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    I actually finally registered after years of reading AppleInsider just to post this response.

As a systems administrator for a web hosting company I can tell you with almost 100% certainty that the person who owns the domain "flowerpotss.biz" is not the scammer. Web servers get hacked via vulnerabilities in content management systems all the time. Hackers and phishers get enough access to the server to place their sites in subfolders of existing, legit websites, usually because of outdated, vulnerable software or scripts on the server.

The important information is not the info you get from "whois" on the domain name, but the info you get from "whois" on the IP address that the name resolves to, because the web hosting company needs to be alerted that one of their servers in compromised and needs a phishing site cleaned off of it.

In this case, the hosting provider, uk2.net disabled the entire site, but that does not mean that some lady from Ohio who owned the domain name was the scammer. When I received the phishing email on Friday, it was clear that outside of the URL that the link pointed to, there was a normal site trying to sell gardening supplies.

The point is that the person who owned "flowerpotts.biz" is having a bad enough time what with having their website hacked and then closed. Let's not also make them public targets just because someone in the tech chain didn't update their Joomla or MySQL or something.

Just sayin.