Apple design guru featured in German exhibition

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) That's a standard mug with a corporate logo.

2) Was the inspiration a water tower, because homes from old water towers are pretty damn cool: http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/...lassy_home.php

3) You need to link to the image. Here's the medium size image:
    4) You can buy the house from Up: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/mo...e-in-utah.html

Thanks for the resize, I'm using an iPhone to post.

As far as your picture goes, where is the understatement, the subtleties of grays and whites?
  • Reply 22 of 39
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Also, if I have to hear his droning voice with the phoney uper-crust accent on one of those "passionate" product videos where he goes through the same set of adjectives about every single thing he's made, I will have to be sick. He is a great designer, but he really comes off as pretentious and fake when he talks about it IMO.

Snarky comment - arrogant and pretentious in its own right.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Also, if I have to hear his droning voice with the phoney uper-crust accent on one of those "passionate" product videos where he goes through the same set of adjectives about every single thing he's made, I will have to be sick. He is a great designer, but he really comes off as pretentious and fake when he talks about it IMO.

You're judging him from what he says in a marketing video?! Seriously? You're so naive as to think that's his own words. I've got news for you. Every syllable in those things is scripted. Every bit of it.

Go seek out interviews with him or video of him just talking about these things. He has an amazing sense of design and an incredible philosophical view about why he does what he does and why it matters.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    halhikerhalhiker Posts: 111member
    Is that a hockey puck mouse?
  • Reply 25 of 39
    I would love to swap bodies with Ive's for one day just to see all the secret stuff he gets to play with.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Yesterday I visited this exhibition, here're some pics: https://plus.google.com/photos/10225...96802075948497
  • Reply 27 of 39
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Heh. Museum? Just walk into an Apple Store to view Ive's best work...

Ive is a genus regarding Apple innovation today.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kostik View Post

Yesterday I visited this exhibition, here're some pics: https://plus.google.com/photos/10225...96802075948497

Great pics and welcome to the forum.

They did a good job at creating the layout, which the article's pic doesn't indicate. I'm not sure we can say this is a Jon Ive exhibit as it appears to include Apple products going back to the 70s, though I understand (and like) the comparison to Dieter Rams work next to Ive's.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Ive is a genus regarding Apple innovation today.

He's also a species.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He's also a species.

A few more cool designs and he'll leapfrog right up to a phylum.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In 2009, Ive was named the smartest designer in tech by Forbes Magazine. "With the launch of his first product, the iMac G3, Ive turned the utilitarian gray desktop computer into a translucent, gumdrop-shaped fashion statement," the publication wrote.

Of course because he's a Pom that would be grey.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You must be a Brit still living in UK. Gosh, after over 20 years living in the US with no other Brit in sight I had all but forgotten the class system and prejudices you exhibit and exemplify in this paragraph. Not something I miss to be sure. To me he sounds exactly like all the kids I heard at grammar school in Essex many moons ago.

It seems to me that Ive has become a Toff and Prof. Peabody is Middle Class aspiring to be a Toff.

It seems his comments reflect the fact that Ive is more likely to hang out with the lower class than the middle class which annoys the hell out of the middle class because they feel they are more deserving of the interaction with the Toffs than the lower class.

All this is true because Billy Connolly told us so.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Of course because he's a Pom that would be grey.

The use of "grey" or "grey" is not dependent on the nationality of the person being written about, but on the origin and main market of the actual magazine it is written in, or so I guess.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Also funny in that quote, it could be reported speech if they just added an apostrophe .

"With the launch of [my] first product, the iMac G3, I've turned the utilitarian gray desktop computer into a translucent, gumdrop-shaped fashion statement."

Makes it a bit more arrogant though ... lol.

Edit: Oh damn, another word needed changing.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kostik View Post

AWESOME. Thanks for posting.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

The use of "grey" or "grey" is not dependent on the nationality of the person being written about, but on the origin and main market of the actual magazine it is written in, or so I guess.

It's all black and white to me. :-)
  • Reply 37 of 39
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

It's all black and white to me. :-)

Grey is just another word for black and white.

Cheers
  • Reply 38 of 39
    I would love to see a re-issue of the clam shell imac but with the newest tech inside.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    It is nice to read these reassuring articles.

What I take away from this is that Apple had some tremendous talent, but was not willing to risk using it.

Steve Jobs was an enabler that transformed the company. Now that the momentum is there, and the path has been shown, we will see Apple carry on without Steve driving every decision.

I look forward to the innovations to come!