Prototype next-gen iPhone parts show same screen size, design as iPhone 4

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This year seems ideal for Apple to grow the iPhone brand into two distinct screen sizes.

Not at all. When they adjust screen dimensions while maintaining the same separation from the window view edge to the frame then they will repeat with the iPod Touch.

Splintering into multiple [2 or more] iPhone screen sizes fractures the brand. Won't happen.
  • Reply 82 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

Apple can make a bigger screen WITHOUT increasing the resolution. The ppi will be slightly smaller but at 3.7", it'll still be retina display. As long as the resolution stays the same, app developers have nothing to change or worry about and Apple doesn't need to make any new SDK.

What company are we talking about again?
  • Reply 83 of 87
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

And we saw what iOS 4 did to the 3GS. Mine ran like a dog compared to when it had iOS 3.xx installed. I wonder what iOS 5.xx will do to the iPhone 4? I can only imagine what iOS 5.xx will do to the iPhone 3GS...NO..I can imagine. I just need to recall my wife's iPhone 3G running iOS 4.xx.

Actually, I think iOS 5 on a 3GS will run well. Much better than iOS 4.x on 3G or iPod touch 2nd gen. I've used iOS 4.2 on an iPod touch 2G and it was surprisingly good. Not sure what all the fuss was about. (Albiet the iPod touch 2G had a ~530 MHz ARM11 CPU compared to 412 MHz on the 3G).

The big big big difference between the 3G and 3GS is the 2x: 2x the CPU (ARM11 to Cortex-A8), 2x the GPU (MBX to SGX 535), and 2x the RAM (128 to 256 MB). That's a huge generational performance change.

For iOS 5 on a 3GS, the big key are those specs: 256 MB RAM (same at iPod touch 4 and iPad 1), the SGX 535 (same as iPhone 4) and the 600 MHz CPU (~25% slower than the iPhone 4's 800 MHz). It should run iOS 5 fine.

Quote:

We will see how powerful the iPhone 4 is when iOS 5.xx comes out.

If iOS 5 really requires 512 MB RAM to run, it is going to spell trouble for iPod touch 4 and the iPad 1, as well as the 3GS. But I don't think so. 256 MB RAM will be just enough for it save for the multitasking of big apps that require lots of RAM. Notifications running with Infinity Blade or Safari with lots of pages will not run as smooth as on 512 MB devices, but I don't think it'll be like iOS 4 on the 3G.
  • Reply 84 of 87
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lamewing

And we saw what iOS 4 did to the 3GS. Mine ran like a dog compared to when it had iOS 3.xx installed. I wonder what iOS 5.xx will do to the iPhone 4? I can only imagine what iOS 5.xx will do to the iPhone 3GS...NO..I can imagine. I just need to recall my wife's iPhone 3G running iOS 4.xx.

The 3G was horrible. For the billionth time.

Are you not aware that people using iPhone 4's and 3GS's are testing out iOS5 already? And it's running fine?

Do some research before you make statements that have no basis in reality.

1. Don't be a dick.

2. I will wait for the final build.

3. Don't be a dick.

What statement has no basis in reality? Let us examine my statements.

1. iOS 4 did kick the 3GS to the curb....Statement is accurate.

2. My 3GS ran like a dog after iOS 4 was installed...Statement is accurate.

3. I wonder what iOS 5 will do to the iPhone 4... I currently exist and I am wondering...Statement is accurate.

4. I can only imagine what iOS 5 will do to the iPhone 4...Statement is partially accurate because others could also imagine this situation...Still based in reality.

5. I can imagine how iOS 5 will run on an iPhone 4...State is is also accurate. Sure iOS 5 might run well on the iPhone 4, but I can still imagine otherwise...Also based in reality.

Hey...maybe you should stop talking out your ass.
  • Reply 85 of 87
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 863member
    Another day another rumor. While Apple is not big on going overboard on their IPHONES, It would be rediculous to even think that the IPHONE5 has the same exact screen size and just an 8 megapizel camera and an A5 processor (and an aluminum back).

Lets give Apple just a bit more credit. Sure this is the year of Software Updates for Apple, but on the other hand the competition is just waiting for Apple to put out an inferior product. So be assured that the IPHONE5 will have some good features besides IOS5.
  • Reply 86 of 87
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

It would be rediculous to even think that the IPHONE5 has the same exact screen size

Except every iPhone has had the exact same screen size and there's no sense in changing it.

Quote:

Lets give Apple just a bit more credit.

I am. Giving them less credit would be making the assumption they'd change the size of the screen at all.

Quote:

the competition is just waiting for Apple to put out an inferior product.

Which would be the case if Apple made a larger-screened iPhone.
  • Reply 87 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamewing

The 3G was horrible. For the billionth time.

Are you not aware that people using iPhone 4's and 3GS's are testing out iOS5 already? And it's running fine?

Do some research before you make statements that have no basis in reality.

1. Don't be a dick.

2. I will wait for the final build.

3. Don't be a dick.

What statement has no basis in reality? Let us examine my statements.

1. iOS 4 did kick the 3GS to the curb....Statement is accurate.

2. My 3GS ran like a dog after iOS 4 was installed...Statement is accurate.

3. I wonder what iOS 5 will do to the iPhone 4... I currently exist and I am wondering...Statement is accurate.

4. I can only imagine what iOS 5 will do to the iPhone 4...Statement is partially accurate because others could also imagine this situation...Still based in reality.

5. I can imagine how iOS 5 will run on an iPhone 4...State is is also accurate. Sure iOS 5 might run well on the iPhone 4, but I can still imagine otherwise...Also based in reality.

Hey...maybe you should stop talking out your ass.

Thank you for that beautiful breakdown of uneducated thoughts.