Windows 8 design to radically depart from Mac OS X Lion

Comments

• Reply 21 of 153
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Should we be taking this as Microsoft is evolving Windows 8 so it continues to be easy for enterprise and their IT people to manage and configure........and Apple is evolving their OSX to make it more user friendly and less complicated for the average consumer?
  • Reply 22 of 153
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I am liking Windows 7 and hating Lion so far. Win 7 can zoom with Res. Independence while Lion has managed to ruin Expose, Dashboard and Spaces...all the biggest advances in the last half decade for OS X at least for my personal use. Although in general OS X is vastly superior to Windows for my purposes so I'll probably just stay with 10.6 until perhaps 10.8.

The ribbon in Win 8 though, that'll go over like a lead balloon. I'm surprised anyone has upgraded office. I bet they wouldn't have without .docx. I hate the Ribbon. I don't know anyone who does not hate it actually. It's almost as retarded as the "hoppping" tabs that Windows dialogue boxes have always had, that move positions on you.

Why are interfaces getting worse and uglier!? From iCal and Lion to Windows 8. What happened to all the good interface people!?
  • Reply 23 of 153
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Well done Microsoft. You've managed to take the cluttered Aero interface and somehow make it even MORE cluttered.

Are Microsoft's UI designers asleep or just stupid?

At least for me, agree totally. Ribbon interface drives me nuts. Maybe that's their plan to drive the world crazy, create chaos.
  • Reply 24 of 153
    We got buttons. We got a lot of buttons. Buttons Buttons!!

Did ya see how many buttons we crammed onto that window.

Everywhere we got buttons.

Buttons all over the place.

F*cking Buttons on top of one another

Buttons F*cking everywhere...

Holy Sh*t we got buttons....

best buttons around. plus we keep moving them around.

Even better - moving buttons. We are now known as the button movers.

We specialize in button movement.

We are the kings of buttons...
  • Reply 25 of 153
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    No one can accuse them of copying Apple there. Yikes!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

...Lion has managed to ruin Expose, Dashboard and Spaces...all the biggest advances in the last half decade for OS X at least for my personal use.

So you don't like Mission Control which I think is brilliant. You still have Exposé windowing. What you don't have are big windows for Spaces, instead you have them neatly at the top in a row. And what's this about Dashboard? Mine is exactly how it was before, I even access it from the same Hot Corner as before.
  • Reply 26 of 153
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Wow ribbon is totally not needed in finder. Its a pro feature that works super well in office to make you super produxtive, but in finder it just takes up space. Its like using your web browser with developer mode open to siply find the nearest starbucks.

I think there will be a button to hide the ribbon, or have it be turned off by default.

File manager should feel like a folder, not like an app.
  • Reply 27 of 153
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I love the title.

Not depart from Windows 7, depart from OS X.

I love the contrast in simplicity between iWork and Office.

Oh, and CultOfMac mentioned that the buttons on the new Windows Explorer, according to Microsoft's own research, will be used by less than 50% of users. And they're still putting them on there.

Then, you should check contrast in simplicity between iWork and NotePad. Amazing stuff

On a more serious note... To my knowledge, one will be able to minimise ribbon in Explorer and all the current keyboard shortcuts and right-key menu options will be available as well... so basically, everyone will be able to use it to one's liking.
  • Reply 28 of 153
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    So cluttered!
  • Reply 29 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beeman60 View Post

You sir, are awesome!
  • Reply 30 of 153
    Understandable for Windows to go to that direction considering their target audience or more like their core users: old dinosaurs who can't go past without big obtrusive icons and clear-cut direction of what to do with it -- this icon do this, this one do that etc.
  • Reply 31 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So what makes you think it's Windows 7 research?

Because... it is pretty hard to research on Windows 8 usage at this point of time?
  • Reply 32 of 153
    I am a long term Windows user. I really lost something when these ribbons were implemented in Office, and not looking forward to Windows 8.

When they say " The commands that make up 84% of what customers" Why can't it remember what I want to do (it's repeated over and over). Get that up front, leave the 'remembering' where for everything else...

Come on boys, time to get it right.
  • Reply 33 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

The whole "Building Windows 8" blog is great reading if you want to see a train wreck. I think we're looking at another Vista. I have no idea why they're adding so much complexity to Explorer. It's starting to look like KDE's Konquerer.

That said, the Finder sucks too. Does anyone actually use any of those hideous looking mini-Cover Flow Arrange By views? Does anyone like them?

They are not adding, only exposing. Much as I can see, all of those features are already available in Windows 7 Explorer, from right-click menu or "Organize" menu. So people who don't like right-click (Apple converts? ) or menus will have everything on screen. Those who don't like clutter can use handy-dandy little arrow next to Help button to minimize ribbon.

There is not much doubt existing users will do it traditional way, through shortcuts or right-click... but I think it makes sense for new users. Time will tell.
  • Reply 34 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

The whole "Building Windows 8" blog is great reading if you want to see a train wreck. I think we're looking at another Vista. I have no idea why they're adding so much complexity to Explorer. It's starting to look like KDE's Konquerer.

That said, the Finder sucks too. Does anyone actually use any of those hideous looking mini-Cover Flow Arrange By views? Does anyone like them?

All I will say is "lots of images" with regards to the cover flow views.
  • Reply 35 of 153
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,320member
    The ribbon looks so ugly on windows but somehow I actually kind of like it on the Mac. but I wouldnt want it in the finder.

My favorite "pro user" finder mod is TotalFinder.
  • Reply 36 of 153
    Quote:

That was HILARIOUS! Made me laugh so hard I cried. Couple a beers didn't hurt either
  • Reply 37 of 153
    maguromaguro Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

to present a limited number of default toolbar buttons. along with a strip of contextual controls

Apple's iCloud similarly reduces the exposure of file system

Latest DED typos - period in the middle of a sentence, and should say the file system.
  • Reply 38 of 153
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    More Microsoft focus groups. That ribbon is a clusterfu*k. Look at how much space is wasted and how displeasing to the eye it is.

The effort to consolidate all the user functions has actually had a negative effect. They eliminated the menu bar because most people didn't use it. Now they have text AND icons that take up 3x more vertical space on the screen than Windows XP.
  • Reply 39 of 153
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    OMG I spit out my diet coke! Cheers!

Quote:

• Reply 40 of 153
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maguro View Post

...and should say the file system.

When I went to university they'd have sent me to hospital for mental issues if I claimed such a thing.