HP considers reviving TouchPad, confirms upcoming limited supply

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Who wrote this story? They sold out the stock to cheap buyers and techies wanting a piece of history.

They didn't sell out that last bit of stock to the average consumer or they'd still be selling them at full price and not a massive loss.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

webOS is one of the most intuitive mobile OS on the market next to iOS.

It has a serious chance of giving Apple a run for its money if all the right stars align in place.

Whether that was ever a possible future or not, it isn't now. The stars did not align, and the market gods woke and devoured the brash, unfinished product that tried a summoning without proper preparation.

But seriously. Forget the stars. The real point is much more concrete: what developer will align with WebOS, after this fiasco?
  • Reply 23 of 62
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thedude12345 View Post

I was able to overclock mine to 1.7GHz and it never freezes now. Hopefully someone ports Android to it though.

I used this guide to overclock: http://geekhow.com/2011/08/27/overcl...r-hp-touchpad/

Why would or should anybody make the effort to port Android to a discontinued, hence obsolete, tablet?

Sad day for Android if the Android tablets now being sold can't compare to HP's discontinued tablet. Then again there are those who claim that Android customers don't buy squat. Makes sense for that type of customer to want the TouchPad since it is being sold at a substantial loss, that way everybody loses.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    drowdrow Posts: 126member
    sure, they'll be losing a ton of money on each unit, but they can make it up in volume!
  • Reply 25 of 62
    Looks like HP has really lost creditability. What kind of decision making is this? Kill the product line and few days later, trying to review because people picked up the device on fire-sale? Now they are even reconsidering what they want to do about PC business unit. Leo has got to go!
  • Reply 26 of 62
    The title of this article is "HP considers reviving the Touchpad, confirms upcoming limited supply".

Sorry, but at what point can anyone see any statement that suggests HP is considering reviving the Touchpad? I clicked on this story because the headline promises something the facts do not. AT ALL.

What's up with that? Maybe the author of the article is considering whether HP will "revive" the Touchpad, but HP only seems to be considering "spinning off" its PC business more fully, while maintaining more Touchpads may become available in limited quantities. It's been doing that since the start. Actually producing a limited quantity to meet some outstanding obligations is something else entirely. They did a limited run of HP Slate to fulfill commitments last year.

Didn't imply much other than some type of covering of one's arse.

Am I missing some quote somewhere? I tried to scan the article thoroughly, but I got nothin'.

~ CB
  • Reply 27 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FrankenSigns.biz View Post

So they've suddenly sold 250,000 tablets for more than $300 less than they cost to make, market and distribute and this constitutes a market worth pursuing?!?

Yes i can imagine the HP board meeting .. "Wow, look how fast they sold ... It's just like Apple ... Oh but wait a minute "
  • Reply 28 of 62
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    HP is NOT going to revive the TouchPad... AND, if you think so, you're delusional. Re-setting the price $200 BELOW BOM costs is a going-out-of-business strategy and will NOT continue...
  • Reply 29 of 62
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Why bother?

webOS is one of the most intuitive mobile OS on the market next to iOS.

Sadly that fact means nothing...BeOS was nice, so was IBMs OS2 - where are those now? OS2 lost out to Windows NT just like Android will beat the hell outa Webos...HP, like IBM before it, doesnt have the DNA of a PC/Tablet/phone OS software company...Apple however does...Apple is a software company that designs the hardware that it runs on because they dont like the other stuff that is out there, but face it, Apple is all about software -- an iphone with Android would be nothing special, just another device in the shuffle...its all about the software.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    blursdblursd Posts: 123member
    Imagine that ... "sudden demand" after the price was reduced from $400 to $100. If HP could find a way to produce the TouchPad at that price point and still turn a profit they might be on to something, but I think it's more possible than not they're losing money selling the TouchPad for $100.

I'd even go out on a further limb here and suggest that if SAAB started selling their brand new 9-3 sedans for $2,000 they might experience "sudden demand" as well.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Exactly what kind of birthday is this for Jamie and Matt... so many different places... not sure where Matt is, but Jamie seems to be able to change her form and age at will... Hope they didn't get WebOS tablets for their birthdays. I have a new appreciation for Apple's marketing photos that feature *real* people. This is worse then those pictures that come with a photo frame.

@Apple ][: Yes it is laggy and slow. Some of the UI behavior feels cheap compared to iOS. Parts of the UI don't resize until they are in the final position. Then they jump to the new size instead of dynamically changing. Kinda feels like Windows 3.1 in that respect.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If it's so great, then why does it run like crap? I've read plenty of comments from people who bought one, and many say that it freezes randomly, it stutters, lags and it's slow.

Yes, I bought 3 and I can concur. It does all of this, and in addition the web browser is pretty appalling.

Laggy, slow, doesn't scroll down to the full page, sometimes doesn't render when you scroll, I can go on.

These things were not ready for primetime, not by a long shot.

3.0.2 improved matters, but it only went from buggy and slow to a little less buggy and slow.

Bring on Touchdroid.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FrankenSigns.biz View Post

So they've suddenly sold 250,000 tablets for more than $300 less than they cost to make, market and distribute and this constitutes a market worth pursuing?!?

$400 to make?
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

Imagine how many they could sell at 99 cents? They could own the market. Seriously, are these people brain dead? They should write a business textbook - 'How not to run a business'

Exactly!
  • Reply 35 of 62
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    They pull this in order to increase the value of the WebOS arm to sell or license.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    I would have never bought a tablet other than the iPad at full price, but I did pick up one of the heavily discounted ones. I was surprised to find it worked pretty good with the latest software. I haven't had any lockups, and I actually do enjoy that it supports flash. I'm loving it. My only concerns are that hp might stop supporting it, and that it doesn't have all the apps the ipad does. But definitely a solid product. I haven't used android's tablet s/w, so I can't compare it to that.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    They did it to keep their parts suppliers happy? How much longer will that matter to HP?
  • Reply 38 of 62
    How ever much money HP looses on unit they can make up in volume
  • Reply 39 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tenfingers View Post

I would have never bought a tablet other than the iPad at full price, but I did pick up one of the heavily discounted ones. I was surprised to find it worked pretty good with the latest software. I haven't had any lockups, and I actually do enjoy that it supports flash. I'm loving it. My only concerns are that hp might stop supporting it, and that it doesn't have all the apps the ipad does. But definitely a solid product. I haven't used android's tablet s/w, so I can't compare it to that.

This tablet is GREAT. It's a genuinely excellent part of my gadget library.

I just bought Angry Birds RIO for it for $1.99, and NomNomNom RSS Reader, also for cheap. It's great that it plays Flash, and it is especially great for webOS' notification system and synergy... whereby, just going to "Messages", you can conduct conversations across the entire spectrum of chat clients, including Skype VOIP/Video calling... which is baked into the OS itself. There is an impressive amount of integration, and the Flash support is fairly good.

That said. It's not an iPad by a long shot. If you were to size it up, the performance feels like 6 months behind the iPad 1st gen, and at least a year behind the iPad 2. I would expect to pay $250 for this tablet (16GB). Perhaps even $279. But, $399 or $499 pushes it beyond reason.

But again, deeply needed optimization aside, this is a truly excellent piece of hardware. I can tell why HP thought they could be #1 Plus. There's a lot of work in here. But, its all too late. iOS 5 just blows everyone out of the water. webOS still needs to find its sea legs. I have games crash quit on me (which has also happened on iOS) and often it tells me I can't run anything else until I close a window (card). --Which is ridiculous, considering iOS does all of its memory management (on most days) automatically (transparently).

If nothing else changed in webOS, other than the UI performance going up to iPad 2 grade (we're talking touch feedback, copy/paste menu appearance, minor freezing), then its a monster, and deserves to be #2 on tablets. Otherwise, its really an amazing consumer device for cheap... until it runs out.

The inductive charging and Exhibition mode alone is extremely smart and handy. I'm headed down to Office Depot tomorrow to see if I can still find a discounted charging dock. I get two 32GB Touchpads for relatives... but the more I used one, the more I had to grab one myself. I got one from the classifieds for a modest markup. As I figured, many looking to sell, now what outrageous markups. Which is sad.

Free Angry Birds

Free Quick Office view/edit Word Docs, Excel Docs, view PowerPoint

Free 50GB Box.net for life

Loads of really great value there.

~ CB
  • Reply 40 of 62
    Haven't read any of the posts -- I don't want to taint my considered, reasoned analysis:

HP is really Fucked up!