Apple release iOS 5 beta 7 to developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has made available a seventh beta release of iOS 5 to developers, focusing on bug fixes and improvements. The update is available alongside a new Xcode 4.2 Preview 7, iTunes 10.5 beta 7, and Apple TV software beta 6.

The new iOS 5 beta release is again available as an over the air update through Settings / Software Update on iOS 5 devices. Apple recommends backing up devices using iTunes 10.5 beta 7 or via iCloud backup before performing the software update.

The new update focuses on support for iCloud, including tighter requirements for apps using iCloud Documents & Data to identify their cloud-stored documents securely.

The new iOS 5 SDK also introduces new a API validation feature to "extract APIs used by an application and have them checked for private APIs usage," something that should streamline developers' efforts to get their apps approved for sale in the App Store.

Devices that enable iCloud Backup will now automatically disable backup through iTunes, accelerating the iTunes sync process.

Apple continues to refine iOS 5, iTunes, Apple TV, and Mac OS X Lion and Snow Leopard releases to launch its full iCloud service smoothly, apparently taking care not to repeat the rushed, problematic and very embarrassing launch fiascos of MobileMe back in 2008.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has made available a seventh beta release of iOS 5 to developers, focusing on bug fixes and improvements.

That's what I call in depth
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wookie01 View Post

That's what I call in depth

That's what I was thinking. iOS 5 should run like a top when it's released!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Devices that enable iCloud Backup will now automatically disable backup through iTunes, accelerating the iTunes sync process. ...

This doesn't make much sense.

iTunes backup is global for the device. iCloud backup is just for documents by application the way it's been described so far. Unless AppleInsider is revealing something here that's still under NDA.

How can one reasonably backup an entire 64GB device to iCloud? It would take forever even for incremental backups and who would do it given that the local backup is always going to be much much faster?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    s8er01zs8er01z Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

iTunes backup is global for the device. iCloud backup is just for documents by application the way it's been described so far. Unless AppleInsider is revealing something here that's still under NDA.

How can one reasonably backup an entire 64GB device to iCloud? It would take forever even for incremental backups and who would do it given that the local backup is always going to be much much faster?

I feel as though you are trolling here but what is there to backup? Sync processes take up the bulk of the data.. Unless you have more than 5Gb between pictures, contacts, application settings and calendars there is no reason you couldn't backup to the cloud and use iTunes to sync the bulk of what is on most peoples devices (music, videos, podcast,etc).
  • Reply 5 of 8
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

I think iCloud is doing a full device back up minus media such as music and video that was synced to the device.

Application data, system settings, icon placement, etc., is backed up to iCloud.

At least that's my understanding of iCloud.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Apple clearly lists what's backed up to iCloud

Here:

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features...ks-backup.html

Purchased Music. Apps and Books

Photos and Video in the Camera Roll

Device Settings

App Data

Home Screen and App organization

Text and MMS

Ringtones

Basically everything needed to reconstruct an iPhone in software.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:

I have not tried the backup myself, I am not even using wifi sync. I can tell you though that Kevin Rose of diggnation said that it is possible to backup the whole device and even restore your device as you walk out the apple store with iPhone 5 via wifi.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    i don't know if i'm comfortable about that. maybe despite my young age and blind loyalty toward apple, i'm not quite ready to put all my eggs into iCloud just yet. maybe i'd like to have my ios device sync to both despite how long it might take.