Apple wants to 'rethink' how people use Maps for iPhone, iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is once again adding to its iOS Maps software development team, calling for job candidates who will help "rethink" how iPhone users rely on maps, location and geographical information.

Location services on the iPhone and iPad have been an area of great focus for Apple for some time. That interest continues to grow, as Apple this week posted three new job listings for iOS software developers focused on the native Maps application and discovered by AppleInsider.

"We want to take Maps to the next level and rethink how people use maps, location and geo information," one listing reads. "We want to do this in a seamless, highly interactive and enjoyable way. We've only just started!"

The description is very similar to a job listing posted by Apple in late 2009, which also mentioned taking Maps "to the next level" and an effort to "rethink" the software. But the 2011 version found in the new job postings makes additional mention of location services and geographical data.

The new employees are asked to be familiar with navigation, along with GPS and location-based services. The three job listings only add to the mounting evidence that Apple could be working on its own turn-by-turn navigation service for the iPhone, perhaps similar to the free Google Maps Navigation available on Android devices.

The latest job postings come only days after separate listings by Apple revealed the company is working on "exciting new features" for location-aware software on the iPhone. For that role, Apple also seeks an employee who has experience with "navigation algorithms."

Apple has been on something of a hiring spree related to location services in 2011. In March, the company put a call out for more than two dozen positions related to iOS development, with a particular focus on location services. More job listings from that same month revealed that the company wants to "radically improve" the native Maps application for iPhone.

Apple's forthcoming iOS 5 will add alternate routes to Maps.

News of a forthcoming navigation service was publicly disclosed by Apple in April, when the iPhone maker revealed to the U.S. government that it is working on a "crowd-sourced traffic" service for the iPhone. It was said that the location-based traffic service was planned to become available in "the next couple of years."

Apple has even made key acquisitions to expand mapping software for iOS, with the purchase of Google Maps competitor Placebase in 2009, while another online mapping company, Poly9, was acquired in 2010.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Apple should have "rethought" maps for iOS 5. I guess with this posting we have to wait another year. Is it that hard to build in turn by turn nav with caching so that you can load in the destination and relevant map data and get to your destination?

The maps in iOS 5 are not bad, don't get me wrong. The things maps app does it does extremely well, including transit directions and walking directions. But it is lacking some pretty essential features I described above, and with siri and nuance the maps could be voice requested and voice guided.

We'll see what happens, but I am happy that at least the ball is rolling now.

PS: also can we get a speed indicator in maps somehow?
  • Reply 2 of 41
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is once again adding to its iOS Maps software development team, calling for job candidates who will help "rethink" how iPhone users rely on maps, location and geographical information.

Location services on the iPhone and iPad have been an area of great focus for Apple for some time. That interest continues to grow, as Apple this week posted three new job listings for iOS software developers focused on the native Maps application.

"We want to take Maps to the next level and rethink how people use maps, location and geo information," one listing reads. "We want to do this in a seamless, highly interactive and enjoyable way. We've only just started!"

The description is very similar to a job listing posted by Apple in late 2009, which also mentioned taking Maps "to the next level" and an effort to "rethink" the software. But the 2011 version found in the new job postings makes additional mention of location services and geographical data.

The new employees are asked to be familiar with navigation, along with GPS and location-based services. The three job listings only add to the mounting evidence that Apple could be working on its own turn-by-turn navigation service for the iPhone, perhaps similar to the free Google Maps Navigation available on Android devices.

The latest job postings come only days after separate listings by Apple revealed the company is working on "exciting new features" for location-aware software on the iPhone. For that role, Apple also seeks an employee who has experience with "navigation algorithms."

Apple has been on something of a hiring spree related to location services in 2011. In March, the company put a call out for more than two dozen positions related to iOS development, with a particular focus on location services. More job listings from that same month revealed that the company wants to "radically improve" the native Maps application for iPhone.

Apple's forthcoming iOS 5 will add alternate routes to Maps.

News of a forthcoming navigation service was publicly disclosed by Apple in April, when the iPhone maker revealed to the U.S. government that it is working on a "crowd-sourced traffic" service for the iPhone. It was said that the location-based traffic service was planned to become available in "the next couple of years."

Apple has even made key acquisitions to expand mapping software for iOS, with the purchase of Google Maps competitor Placebase in 2009, while another online mapping company, Poly9, was acquired in 2010.

How will it crowd-source traffic? Users give updates while driving? No. Keep GPS on and push data up to the cloud? No, wastes battery. Best option is to continue with what DOT does now, using sensors.

Also, it'd be great to finally have good mapping software on phones. Mapping software in general should be easier to use. For example ArcGIS is the Windows of mapping software but its interface is archaic, ugly, and difficult to use, particularly at first.

Mapping apps on Droid and iOS I would say so far are suboptimal, particularly in the interface. I'd really like it if someone replicated ESRI's ArcPad functionality, only easier to use, and cheap. On iOS and Droid. But still working with shapefiles and with the power of GIS. If anyone can tackle mapping software it'd be Apple. Hopefully they hire GIS programmers and cartogrpahers, to really knock this out of the park.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    iOS users will still use Google maps even if Apple creates their own app.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post

You mean backend, or the mapping data. Apple already has its own maps app that happens to load maps from google, but I guess could do the same with just about any mapping provider.

I would have to agree, if apple can't match the google maps quality it should keep the backend. But the app itself should get an update.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post

Remember that Map app on the iPhone is Apple's own App not a Google App, it simply uses Google Maps. I suspect something is coming and I hope it is an all Apple mapping system top to bottom.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

You mean backend, or the mapping data. Apple already has its own maps app that happens to load maps from google, but I guess could do the same with just about any mapping provider.

I would have to agree, if apple can't match the google maps quality it should keep the backend. But the app itself should get an update.

It's unclear if they are trying to update the app or create their own location services backend. If it's the ladder, I don't see how the data and features could match Google maps. Do they want to sever all ties?
  • Reply 7 of 41
    "Apple wants to 'rethink' how people use Maps for iPhone, iPad"

That could be interpreted as Apple not knowing how we use Maps and needs to figure it out!
  • Reply 8 of 41
    People continue to be surprised at what Apple comes up with because they still fail to see the philosophy behind Apple. The company is never anxious over how long it takes to make things right. Do they sometimes fail? Sure, but the goal is always to make the best product they can before releasing it. So if it takes a year more than you and I want it to, tough.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:

Is it that hard to build in turn by turn nav with caching so that you can load in the destination and relevant map data and get to your destination?

Why don't you give it a shot and let us know if it's hard. ;p

Quote:

The maps in iOS 5 are not bad, don't get me wrong. The things maps app does it does extremely well, including transit directions and walking directions. But it is lacking some pretty essential features I described above, and with siri and nuance the maps could be voice requested and voice guided.

Check out the TomTom app, it's REALLY good.

Quote:

PS: also can we get a speed indicator in maps somehow?

Again, the TomTom app does this. It even has an alarm for when it thinks you are speeding too much.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RicMac View Post

People continue to be surprised at what Apple comes up with because they still fail to see the philosophy behind Apple. The company is never anxious over how long it takes to make things right. Do they sometimes fail? Sure, but the goal is always to make the best product they can before releasing it. So if it takes a year more than you and I want it to, tough.

This isn't about benefits to the Apple user. Instead it's Apple formulating the best way to encourage (or bribe) their users to allow location reporting to aid in Apple's delivery of targeted advertising, taking a page from Google. LBS will be adding billions to someone's bottom line by 2015. Apple wants a piece of that.

So this is about the money, with the consumer benefit just being the hook. Of course isn't it always?
  • Reply 11 of 41
    My wish list
    1. Allow the user to exclude certain roads that the user specifies.

2. Better user input. Voice recognition would be great. "Route path from home to 36 Elm Street."

3. Turn by turn audio output that has preference settings that allow user to set frequency of audio outputs. For example, you can tell it to only identify major turns.

4. Multiple destinations in one route

• Reply 12 of 41
    "iPhone 5", or whatever they call it, is pretty much a certainty. What I'm more curious about is these hidden iOS 5 features. Will "Assistant" make it into this fall's 5.0 release? Will any of these hidden Maps features make it in, or are these merely for next year's version?

Assistant, combined with an improved Maps app would be KILLER.

*user holds down home button*

-"Where's the nearest Japanese restaurant?"

iPhone: "One moment...The nearest Japanese restaurant is Okazu-Ya, about 5 minutes away."

-"Get me a reservation for 7 o'clock tonight"

iPhone: "Sure. I've made an Open Table reservation for two at 7 o'clock tonight at Okazu-Ya restaurant. Would you like directions?"

-"Yes."

iPhone: One second. 19th Avenue is experiencing heavy traffic. Would you like me to re-route you to Sunset Boulevard?

-"Yes."

iPhone: OK. Start out by making a right onto Lincoln Avenue...

*Display show simplified "schematic" map of route to restaurant.

^This is all quite realistic. The Siri app purchased by Apple did this conversation-type stuff a long time ago. If all they did was improve its speed and give it typical Apple polish, I'd be happy as a clam.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    I'd like better integration from the Maps app to other applications that use the Maps API. As an example, sometimes I will open up Maps to look at a satellite image of neighborhood, and then decide I want to check it out in Zillow or Redfin. Maybe after looking through those apps, I want to see what the commercial real-estate market looks like, so I switch to LoopNet. Right now, that process is pretty clunky. It is completely independent applications with no ability to pass information between.

I understand the security issues, but it would be nice for me.

Lots of other ways it could be improved as well...
  • Reply 14 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

My wish list

2. Better user input. Voice recognition would be great. "Route path from home to 36 Elm Street."

3. Turn by turn audio output that has preference settings that allow user to set frequency of audio outputs. For example, you can tell it to only identify major turns.

Road exclusion is better suited to a standalone PND in my opinion and would be a seldom used option in any case. But it would have some benefits to those in congested metros. Worth considering. Same with multiple destinations, even if they're optimized (not sorted as there's a difference). Very few nav users actually route to multiple stops in a single trip, and those that do often complain of the resultant route.

Voice recognition would be expected and is already offered with several mobile nav apps, some free, as well as standalone systems. Customizing route instructions would be another lightly feature more prone to setup errors (and irritatating users) than being truly beneficial.

In any event I don't see Apple rolling out a navigation or mapping application that encourages much in the way of user customization. They're more of a "just works" company than worrying about a small minority of users that want to be able to tweak every setting.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:

....Is it that hard to build in turn by turn nav with caching so that you can load in the destination and relevant map data and get to your destination?

Considering most store clerks cant' even give change without the cash register telling them what the amount is.... it's probably pretty hard.

What do you do? are you into quantum physics?
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

My wish list

Good list. I hope they incorporate these features... Google maps on Android has all but #3 I believe.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Something I've always wanted is the ability to see what's around my destination as far as hotels, restaurants, stores, etc.

While I'm driving I would like to see what's a mile ahead of me. Navigon does this to an extent, but Apple could do it better.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

How will it crowd-source traffic? Users give updates while driving? No. Keep GPS on and push data up to the cloud? No, wastes battery. Best option is to continue with what DOT does now, using sensors.

Well, I dunno, I often have my phone plugged in in the car, so it could push updates when on an external power source...
  • Reply 19 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Something I've always wanted is the ability to see what's around my destination as far as hotels, restaurants, stores, etc.

While I'm driving I would like to see what's a mile ahead of me. Navigon does this to an extent, but Apple could do it better.

Tom Tom does a great job with this. You can specifically search for Points of Interests near you, in a city, near Home, along route and near destination. On the iPhone that search can also be done via Google instead of using the localized DB.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    I've got high hopes for this. Really hope they add in turn by turn and then voice recognition as well. Those are the only two things I've missed from my old Droid. It was great being able to hit one button and say "Navigate to Best Buy" and have the app open, figure out where you're at, find the closest BBuy and then tell you how to get there. I know Apple can do better though.