Fifth-gen iPhone FCC ID revealed in iOS 5 beta 7 reaffirms imminent announcment

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

The facts are that glass (even gorilla glass) is fragile, and I'm not interested in having a phone that has so much of it as its outer casing. Also, there was no hoax related to the antenna. The external antenna was an innovative design that had some downsides, and affected different users to varying degrees, depending on whether or not they used a case. I am also not interested in having a phone that requires a case to minimize the downsides of the antenna.

The fact that Apple has sold upwards of 50 million iPhone 4 units pretty speaks against the glass being fragile or the antenna having larger than "normal" attenuation issues. If they truly were problems, the iPhone 4 likely wouldn't have sold in such quantities or have the satisfaction rates it has. The benefits of having the design appear to outweigh the negatives in the vast majority of cases.

Quote:

My reasons are valid whether you subscribe to them or not. Not sure why you think you can tell me what to do like I am your 12 year old son, but you are quite deluded. And that is the end of your argument.

No problem with this. These are your reasons. But be prepared to be disappointed. The odds are pretty good that the iPhone "5" will look like the iPhone 4 and be made with the same materials as the iPhone 4. Only minor differences on the outside. On the inside, it will be a generational difference like the 3GS was. A bigger leap in internals than the iPhone 4 was.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

The fact that Apple has sold upwards of 50 million iPhone 4 units pretty speaks against the glass being fragile or the antenna having larger than "normal" attenuation issues. If they truly were problems, the iPhone 4 likely wouldn't have sold in such quantities or have the satisfaction rates it has. The benefits of having the design appear to outweigh the negatives in the vast majority of cases.

No problem with this. These are your reasons. But be prepared to be disappointed. The odds are pretty good that the iPhone "5" will look like the iPhone 4 and be made with the same materials as the iPhone 4. Only minor differences on the outside. On the inside, it will be a generational difference like the 3GS was. A bigger leap in internals than the iPhone 4 was.

I have no doubt that many are very happy with their iPhone4. They sold like hotcakes, of course massive sales do not predict future reliability or happiness necessarily. I am not saying that these people are actually unhappy with their purchase. I am just saying that it is not the right purchase for me. I love a lot of the things about iPhone 4, including it's solid feel and minimalist design. It looks amazing. But for me it has some aspects that I want to see improved. Obviously I don't prefer a glass back, and would prefer either an internal antenna, or an improved external. Also, while the iPhone 4 is most certainly gorgeous to look at, they don't feel very good in the hand (to me). I prefer a curvier enclosure (like the original iPhone) and to have fewer sharp edges.

You're right though, we very well could get an iPhone 4s. If this happens, I will be disappointed. And with my 3Gs being of retirement age, I may have to make a change regardless. It seems to me that there will be a lot of people disappointed this time around, no matter what happens. Some want a slightly larger screen, some want a huge 4.5 inch screen, and some are happy with the current screen size. Some want an aluminum enclosure like the iPad, and some want it to be nearly identical to iPhone 4. We'll see what happens.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:

of course massive sales do not predict future reliability or happiness necessarily.

Then why the heck are you waiting for the iPhone 5?!

Quote:

And with my 3Gs being of retirement age, I may have to make a change regardless.

"Have" to buy another Apple phone? "Have" to? I don't think so.

Quote:

It seems to me that there will be a lot of people disappointed this time around, no matter what happens.

Basically all I want is an iPhone 4 with an A5 chip in it. That's all I want out of it. And I'm pretty sure we won't get that. So you're right, I'll be disappointed at the idiotic huge screen we'll probably get.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then why the heck are you waiting for the iPhone 5?!

"Have" to buy another Apple phone? "Have" to? I don't think so.

Basically all I want is an iPhone 4 with an A5 chip in it. That's all I want out of it. And I'm pretty sure we won't get that. So you're right, I'll be disappointed at the idiotic huge screen we'll probably get.

Clearly, as stated, I am waiting on the iPhone 5 because I have complaints about the iphone 4.

When you say that you do not think I "have" to buy another iPhone, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, so you'll have to clarify so I can answer.

As for what you want and what I want, there are differences and some overlap. As mentioned, I do not want an iPhone 4s. But like you I also do not want a huge screen. In fact I am happy with the current 3.5 display size. My main concern is that I want the handset to be basically the same size. A small size increase could be doable, but an iPad jr. won't fit in my pocket nor would it be as usable with one hand.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:

When you say that you do not think I "have" to buy another iPhone, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, so you'll have to clarify so I can answer.

I just found a disparity in what you said across a couple of posts.

You said massive sales don't predict future reliability. But you still want an iPhone 5. You mentioned how you don't trust an external antenna or a glass back, but you say you'll still probably get one when it comes out.

I say if you don't trust the iPhone 5 when it's finally revealed, don't get one.

Quote:

But like you I also do not want a huge screen. In fact I am happy with the current 3.5 display size. My main concern is that I want the handset to be basically the same size. A small size increase could be doable, but an iPad jr. won't fit in my pocket nor would it be as usable with one hand.

Exactly, right? So what happens if it meets your desires in all the other fields but has a 4" screen and is uselessly huge?

That's a problem for me, too. Not with the iPhone 5, but when I get an iPhone in the future; they're not gonna go back to a SMALLER screen?

I mean, I'm perfectly fine with keeping my first-gen for absolutely ever, but it's not my first choice.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I just found a disparity in what you said across a couple of posts.

You said massive sales don't predict future reliability. But you still want an iPhone 5. You mentioned how you don't trust an external antenna or a glass back, but you say you'll still probably get one when it comes out.

I say if you don't trust the iPhone 5 when it's finally revealed, don't get one.

Exactly, right? So what happens if it meets your desires in all the other fields but has a 4" screen and is uselessly huge?

That's a problem for me, too. Not with the iPhone 5, but when I get an iPhone in the future; they're not gonna go back to a SMALLER screen…

I mean, I'm perfectly fine with keeping my first-gen for absolutely ever, but it's not my first choice.

There is no disparity in what I said. Me wanting an iPhone 5 has nothing to do with how well it may or may not sell. For me, it depends entirely on how well the new phone meets my needs. Right now my needs are for a non-glass back, an improved antenna, a more curved design, and for it to remain as portable as it is now. I also need a new phone in terms of replacing my current aging 3Gs (slow performance & short battery life). The new phone likely won't address all of these things to my liking, but I believe some of my wishlist will be delivered. And once the new phone is announced, I can then weigh its pros and cons against keeping my aging 3Gs. As you can imagine, slow performance and short battery life are not fun to deal with on a daily basis.

Just like anyone else I will have to wait and see what they bring to the table before I know if I will be grabbing one or not. I would like to be able to get one, but if it isn't close enough to what I want, and/or has a uselessly huge screen, then I will likely hold off until iPhone6. But I hope it doesn't come to that.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:

But for me it has some aspects that I want to see improved. Obviously I don't prefer a glass back, and would prefer either an internal antenna, or an improved external.

Well, what you want is a durable back. If they can make glass as durable as a metal or a plastic back, the material doesn't matter (other than the feel differences of the materials). The front will be glass, unless Apple does the unthinkable, and goes with plastic for the front. In which case that's probably a negative tradeoff as plastic scratches easier than plastic and the small risks of the front glass cracking is better than the high risks of it being scratched up. I digress. Lets say if they did a molded and curved edge glass back and it was as durable as high grade plastic. I think you'd be fine with that.

And what you want is good cellular performance. Whether the antenna is internal, external, coiled, straight, wrapped around the edges doesn't matter. If Apple tunes the iPhone antenna design so it performs better than an internal one, which could be susceptible to attenuation by covering it up with one's hand too, I think you would be fine with this edge antenna design.

Quote:

It seems to me that there will be a lot of people disappointed this time around, no matter what happens. Some want a slightly larger screen, some want a huge 4.5 inch screen, and some are happy with the current screen size. Some want an aluminum enclosure like the iPad, and some want it to be nearly identical to iPhone 4. We'll see what happens.

Since when have people haven't been disappointed with a new Apple device. That's par for the course, especially in the crazy run-up where anything and everything is possible. Putting the A5 in an iPhone 4 will be a generational improvement in the phone. It'll make the phone last for 3 years.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Well, what you want is a durable back. If they can make glass as durable as a metal or a plastic back, the material doesn't matter (other than the feel differences of the materials). The front will be glass, unless Apple does the unthinkable, and goes with plastic for the front. In which case that's probably a negative tradeoff as plastic scratches easier than plastic and the small risks of the front glass cracking is better than the high risks of it being scratched up. I digress. Lets say if they did a molded and curved edge glass back and it was as durable as high grade plastic. I think you'd be fine with that.

And what you want is good cellular performance. Whether the antenna is internal, external, coiled, straight, wrapped around the edges doesn't matter. If Apple tunes the iPhone antenna design so it performs better than an internal one, which could be susceptible to attenuation by covering it up with one's hand too, I think you would be fine with this edge antenna design.

Since when have people haven't been disappointed with a new Apple device. That's par for the course, especially in the crazy run-up where anything and everything is possible. Putting the A5 in an iPhone 4 will be a generational improvement in the phone. It'll make the phone last for 3 years.

You seem to be pretty much on target with what I am saying. I don't dislike glass per se, and it feels good compared to plastic, but you are correct that I want improved durability. I definitely am not lobbying for them to get rid of the glass front, so I am good there.

I agree that there are always some disappointed people when new products come out, but it just seems different this time. It seems as though the wants and needs are varying a lot more this year, but maybe this is just my perception.