iCloud Communications drops trademark lawsuit; Apple in dispute over Chinese logo

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If that logo was indeed created in 1980 then LG would be the one in the hot seat I have doubts about the 1980 claim though, that design is very far from anything anyone would have thought up back them I suspect.

He said 1980's, not 1980. 1989 still count as 1980's.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

That is not quite true. There were several lawsuits involved. For the first lawsuit, Apple Computer paid Apple Records $80, 000. Apple agreed to stay out of the music business. Years later, Apple added MIDI and a DOC sound chip to its Apple II Computers. Apple Records sued, and forced Apple Computers to remove the sound chip and not offer similar products. A couple of years later, Apple Computer added a sampled system sound named Chimes to the Mac OS. The sound was later renamed to sosumi (phonetically as “so sue me”). Apple Records got about 20 Million from Apple Computer. In exchange, Apple Computer essential was allowed to develop computers that played or delivered content such as music, but agreed that it would not package, sell or distribute physical music materials (e.g. tapes or CDs). Most recently Apple Records sued Apple Computer over iTunes saying Apple Computer violated the prior agreement. Apple Records lost at trial, and a settlement was reached soon after that gave Apple Computer and Apple Records joint ownership of the trademarks to do whatever each pleased.

Personally, I think Apple Computer had crappy lawyers in the beginning. It should have never settled the first time around, which caused problems the other times. Apple Records' case was weak.

And how did any of that contradict my statement of keeping Apple out of anything related to the music industry for nearly 20 years? Everything you state agrees with me including the last part where Apple Records lost against iTunes, about 20 year after the first case. And those interspersing cases Apple Records essentially won were largely successful because of the original settlement, without that they would have been pretty weak on their own. Even if you dispute that, it doesn't change the fact Apple Computer continuously caved for nearly 20 years and had only a beep named sosumi to show for it -- yeah that's history really differs from what I summarized in a single line .

Unbundle your undies a bit, you let the emotion of wanting someone else to be wrong on the internets cloud your reason.

As for lawyers, yeah, Apples lawyers did suck until the spin up sometime approaching the iPhone era, but that doesn't change the results of the old Apple Records cases.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    LOL. Sometimes I can't sleep at night.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Thanks for the history lesson TBell!

• Reply 44 of 48
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Hey, leave my underwear out of it.

I don't' need to be right. I actually enjoyed your comment because I got to refresh my memory about the lawsuits, which I thought fascinating at the time. I was merely pointing out the matter was more complicated then your quick summary. You also doubled the time Apple was prevented from being involved with music.

The original lawsuit was settled in 1981. The one that Apple Records unsuccessfully argued prevented Apple from selling music via iTunes was settled in 1991. That was ten years. Apple was sued again in 2006 by Apple Records, but Apple Records lost that case. So, Apple was free to sell digital music as of 1991.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

And how did any of that contradict my statement of keeping Apple out of anything related to the music industry for nearly 20 years? Everything you state agrees with me including the last part where Apple Records lost against iTunes, about 20 year after the first case. And those interspersing cases Apple Records essentially won were largely successful because of the original settlement, without that they would have been pretty weak on their own. Even if you dispute that, it doesn't change the fact Apple Computer continuously caved for nearly 20 years and had only a beep named sosumi to show for it -- yeah that's history really differs from what I summarized in a single line .

Unbundle your undies a bit, you let the emotion of wanting someone else to be wrong on the internets cloud your reason.

As for lawyers, yeah, Apples lawyers did suck until the spin up sometime approaching the iPhone era, but that doesn't change the results of the old Apple Records cases.

• Reply 45 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Looks like Apple paid them to quietly go away. Since it appears they were using the name they did have a case, but since they didn't defend the trademark against the previous owners for whom Apple bought it from there case would have been severely hindered, IMO. I'd say it was a pretty low amount.

2) I don't think Apple has a strong case against this Chinese logo.

1) It'd have awesome if their CEO "gifted" the trademark to Apple because he wanted to thank Steve Jobs for mentoring him, like that Salesforce.com CEO.

2) that Chinese logo resembles the LG logo turned on its side with a quarter missing.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Hey, leave my underwear out of it.

I don't' need to be right. I actually enjoyed your comment because I got to refresh my memory about the lawsuits, which I thought fascinating at the time. I was merely pointing out the matter was more complicated then your quick summary. You also doubled the time Apple was prevented from being involved with music.

The original lawsuit was settled in 1981. The one that Apple Records unsuccessfully argued prevented Apple from selling music via iTunes was settled in 1991. That was ten years. Apple was sued again in 2006 by Apple Records, but Apple Records lost that case. So, Apple was free to sell digital music as of 1991.

Maybe not as free as you think. Apple didn't release iPods nor iTunes until 2001, a cool 20 years after the first case settled. Nothing interesting music-wise happened between 1991 and 2001 that I can remember at least.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

He said 1980's, not 1980. 1989 still count as 1980's.

My bad didn't have my glasses on.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

But it's not nil (to an average or less than average consumer). They really don't have to move the leaf, just don't try to register the trademark in Apple's line of business.

I'm sorry, but if someone gets confused by these logos, then they are clearly touched in the head.