Apple Campus 2 sparks some traffic, growth fears in Cupertino

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think there are plenty of transportation options using combinations of rail, buses, shuttles, carpooling, walking, and biking, etc., but highly paid white collar workers who own expensive automobiles generally prefer not to use them.

That's true, but Apple can "encourage" their workers to do so by providing them with some benefit if they carpool, bike, etc. Maybe if you commit to carpool every day, you get a closer parking space or something. They could also do what amusement parks do: have remote parking (doesn't Apple also own the land south of 280 as well?) somewhere and have shuttles (as you mention) to the main building. While this would still result in the same total number of cars entering the general area, you wouldn't have as many cars converging on the new Apple campus all at once and ideally, the remote parking would be at a different exit.

And for those who posted that complaints about over-populated schools is silly, it's not silly, because generally, the cost of building new schools, hiring more teachers, etc., is not made up for by the increased property taxes of new people moving in. So in some respects, I think "tough", because people with kids should be able to live wherever they want and still be able to send their kids to public school, but in other respects, I understand the concern, because local/State government will never build new schools fast enough when needed. However, all this might be moot because at least at first, it doesn't seem like Apple is increasing the total number of employees in the area. And non-immigrant Americans are having the fewest children that any generation has had in the last 100 years or so. Increased population might be a concern when Apple builds the 2nd new campus.

I do actually think that Apple should consider building a campus somewhere else: perhaps on the East Coast. They probably wouldn't want to be in New York City, but Boston or Providence might be a nice place for a big Apple campus. Because, after all, what's going to happen when California falls into the ocean?
  • Reply 22 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

And non-immigrant Americans are having the fewest children that any generation has had in the last 100 years or so.

True. Terrifying, as we are failing Darwin's most basic test. Get busy, fellow Americans!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I do actually think that Apple should consider building a campus somewhere else: perhaps on the East Coast. They probably wouldn't want to be in New York City, but Boston or Providence might be a nice place for a big Apple campus. Because, after all, what's going to happen when California falls into the ocean?

East Coast? No. Austin? Yes. It has existing technically trained talent, combined with Texas' superior business climate.