Apple to release iOS 5 GM to assemblers during week of Sept. 23

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Not really - remember, this kind of stuff has been going on for a while now - factories easily have the ability to deploy out to hundreds of devices at a time - it's just a standard image that is written out. It's much faster and nothing like a consumer upgrade (because factory stuff doesn't come with anything).

Seriously, they have a machine they plug a bunch of units in, flash the device which powers off automatically and then they re-package it. Remember, they had to flash the OS on them once already during assembly. It's just repeating one of many steps.

That said, if the assemlbers have been building 150K a day, as per the rumours, its still a logistical challenge to reflash them. Flashing 4.3 was part of an existing process, an aseembly line. Now they have to be gathered up and re-flashed.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Its kind of late already, maybe they wont do a press event?

Not late at all. I think that Apple normally does their press events on Tuesdays, right? Assuming this is true, I would guess that Apple will send out the press invites this Friday for a 9/27 press event. This gives the typical ten day notification for this kind of press event, so we should finally see some REAL happenings towards the end of this week.

A press event at the end of Sept. also is perfect timing for a mid-October launch. I would guess now that things seem to be firming up, that we will see the actual iPhone 5 release the second week of October.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    Quote:

No press for your cash cow? I think they'll do an event still.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    It's about friggin time! Sheesh! lol.

Kidding. Apple can take as looooooong as they want. I am sure the wait will be worth it. :-)

Wonder if the ipod touch 5 will be announced at the same event? I think so. Then we can finally end all this confusion over the larger tear drop shaped device and wether it's an iphone 5 or actually the new ipod touch. The anticipation is killin' me. Heh heh heh. :-p
  • Reply 25 of 46
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

That said, if the assemlbers have been building 150K a day, as per the rumours, its still a logistical challenge to reflash them. Flashing 4.3 was part of an existing process, an aseembly line. Now they have to be gathered up and re-flashed.

Presumably though, they have done this before (though most likely with another product). We don't know how many units that they will have to flash. It's a pain for sure, but its something that they are probably equipped to do.

From what I have read, Foxconn can rapidly scale up if needed.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Well then this week we should get beta 8. There are still some lingering issues that need work, some since beta 1.

The GM will cover any issues which remain, the majority are in the music and video apps (as always with the betas).
  • Reply 27 of 46
    Quote:

A press event is pretty much guaranteed. They already highlighted some of the features of iOS 5, but there are a lot of things that have not been introduced yet, and probably even some new things since WWDC. Also, they want to show off the new design. Apple doesn't want to just post a new product on their page and let people explore it on the internet. They want to give it a proper in-depth introduction to get everyone juiced for the new iPhone. This is how they control the hype machine.

Personally, I am hoping for event announcements this Wednesday, for an event Sept 21 since it's the first day of Fall.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:

So how do assemblers get the OS on the device? Surely not iTunes?

The analyst is so full of it. In february he said the iPad will be delayed until June.

Concord Securities Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has informed Apple Insider the supply chain is near enough on track for a POSSIBLE release of late April or maybe early June, but we must remember that a shipment of display panels has been delayed. So it is not the iPad 2 launch that has been delayed it is display panels that have been delayed.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    Here is another, iPad 2 prognostications.

According to Kuo, the supply chain is mostly on track for a possible "late April or early May" launch, though a shipment of display panels has been delayed. Kuo sees the delay as unlikely to significantly affect the timeline for the launch of the next iPad, however, as LG Display and Samsung can meet 75 to 80 percent of Apple's needs.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Quote:

Unlikely that Apple would skip a live event to launch the iPhone 5.

Be realistic. Of all of the announcements Apple makes, the one that best merits a live event is the iPhone release. After all, it generates over half of the company's revenue and with its fat margins, it's the cash cow for Apple shareholders. It definitely rates its own event, far more than some esoteric niche product like the Mac Pro.

The other two events that merit live events are new versions of iOS and Mac OS X. In fourth place would probably be the MacBook Air at this point. Everything else that Apple announces is less impactful although Apple could still do live events for many of these announcements since they get a huge amount of media coverage regardless.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:

Someone shoud put those in the APple stores. Or a smaller version.

I was aware of the computer image loading. Even then, OS loading is slow pat of the process, and doing custom versions worse.

Actually OS loading on a flash-based device is much faster than hard drive imaging.

Also, what happens in the factory isn't installing custom versions of the OS. They are installing a standard version and don't have to worry about preserving user data, previous settings, etc.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjose1929 View Post

Here is another, iPad 2 prognostications.

You mean three.

Quote:

According to Kuo, the supply chain is mostly on track for a possible "late April or early May" launch,

OH HEY LOOK AT THAT NOT THIS YEAR WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Quote:

Someone shoud put those in the APple stores. Or a smaller version.

I was aware of the computer image loading. Even then, OS loading is slow pat of the process, and doing custom versions worse.

they don't install the OS and activate the devices. they just dump an image on the phone so that when you turn it on it will activate. the reason the process takes longer from itunes is that it has to hit apple's servers to send your device info to register it

there is even a tool on Windows that goes back to the 1990's where it will revert Windows to a just installed state and run the set up part to put in a new computer name, etc on next boot. it's used for mass deployment.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Probably some sort of USB imaging station, likely one that can handle dozens of devices at once. Like disk drive cloning stations, but on a volume production level.

Remember, just because iTunes is the only tool approved for end user updates to the iPhone firmware doesn't mean that Apple can't write other tools to access/flash the firmware. These tools simply aren't distributed to the general public.

I can tell you it was done this way in the past with desktop machines (though they were SCSI drives). Been a while since I worked at Apple but while there I found a bug that caused a large batch to be run back thru and re-imaged. They didn't need to be burned in and I don't know what of if there is a burn process for the mobile devices these days. Doubtful it would be as long since things are cooler in every aspect of the machine.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The pre-release software contains bugs and is meant only for developers to test App Store software and ensure compatibility with new features

...and compatibility with new bugs?
  • Reply 36 of 46
    I'm going to take it a step further and say that even if he isn't developing software and even if he didn't pay the $99 fee, who cares.

in other words, you armchair software police need to STFU and mind your own business.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I may just be because it's early and my sarcasm sensor is out of whack, but if you were trying to take a jab at him, I don't see the point. Even if he isn't developing software, as long as he paid the $99 for a developer account, what does it matter? Everyone has the right to test the software, so long as you pay the $99 fee.

• Reply 37 of 46
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Well then this week we should get beta 8. There are still some lingering issues that need work, some since beta 1.

Maybe, maybe not. There are still some "lingering issues" in OS X that have needed work since 10.0, IMHO.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

It's about friggin time! Sheesh! lol.

Kidding. Apple can take as looooooong as they want. I am sure the wait will be worth it. :-)

Wonder if the ipod touch 5 will be announced at the same event? I think so. Then we can finally end all this confusion over the larger tear drop shaped device and wether it's an iphone 5 or actually the new ipod touch. The anticipation is killin' me. Heh heh heh. :-p

Agreed on the anticipation, but I think this validates what I've felt for months - that it's making sure iOS 5 delivers - and that all the integration with iCloud and Lion is going to work right out of the gate - that's dictated the later release date more than the hardware, unless Apple was waiting for some critical new component or other - i.e., a brandy-new, more compact, efficient, hi-functioning universal radio set for all the 3G's, CDMA's and GSM's out there - to make a) true world phones and b) cut the number of SKU's they have to stock and assemble by 50% or more. (PS: I'm in the this-release-won't-be-LTE 'cos the chips Apple wants for those are at least months out camp.)

And the release may have pushed forward for one more reason (below)...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Unlikely that Apple would skip a live event to launch the iPhone 5.

Be realistic. Of all of the announcements Apple makes, the one that best merits a live event is the iPhone release. After all, it generates over half of the company's revenue and with its fat margins, it's the cash cow for Apple shareholders. It definitely rates its own event, far more than some esoteric niche product like the Mac Pro.

The other two events that merit live events are new versions of iOS and Mac OS X. In fourth place would probably be the MacBook Air at this point. Everything else that Apple announces is less impactful although Apple could still do live events for many of these announcements since they get a huge amount of media coverage regardless.

I'd certainly expect an event. Apple gets more free advertising than all the rest of the consumer tech companies put together by holding onto info and then feeding it to an assembled group of slathering reporters at one of their controlled events.

And another part of the release timing might be to sync up the release dates on phones and pods, since iPods are getting a bit yesterday in this converged world and as a proportion of Apple's revenue stream, and will actually get more buzz as part of the iPhone 5/4S, iOS 5, iCloud rollout than they would have on their own by far. (Another PS: I'm not expecting any 5" iPod anytime soon either.)

The only real question to me is whether this presentation (and other major future ones) is going to be fronted by the new CEO or by that still "active Apple employee" who also happens to be Chairman of the Board.

PPS: Another release that would merit stage time and a press build-up would be Apple's next serious, non-hobby move toward becoming a dominant force in the living room.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Not late at all. I think that Apple normally does their press events on Tuesdays, right? Assuming this is true, I would guess that Apple will send out the press invites this Friday for a 9/27 press event. This gives the typical ten day notification for this kind of press event, so we should finally see some REAL happenings towards the end of this week.

A press event at the end of Sept. also is perfect timing for a mid-October launch. I would guess now that things seem to be firming up, that we will see the actual iPhone 5 release the second week of October.

No, Apple does not typically have these events on Tuesday. That is an urban legend that probably came from a related - but quite different - observation: when issuing simple press releases to publicize updates in specs to old product lines, Apple typically does the press release on Tuesday mornings. Major events with media invitations happen on whatever day suits Apple at the time.

But take away that one observation, and I agree with the rest of your post.

Thompson
  • Reply 39 of 46
    im want to get one but i hope their changes, i been wait 3 months for this i hope appple dont dissapoint, i like i os so far and cant wait to jailbreak iOS 5 but if they dont upgrade it i might get a 4th gen or get a 5 white since i waited this long
  • Reply 40 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john9347 View Post

im want to get one but i hope their changes, i been wait 3 months for this i hope appple dont dissapoint, i like i os so far and cant wait to jailbreak iOS 5 but if they dont upgrade it i might get a 4th gen or get a 5 white since i waited this long

TRANSLATION:

Quote:

I want to get a (translator's note: a new iPhone, I assume), but I hope that there are significant changes to the device (translator's note: he probably means cosmetic) and not simply a spec update. I have been waiting three months for this, so I hope Apple does not disappoint me. I like iOS 5 so far and cannot wait to jailbreak it, but if they don't upgrade it (translator's note: I don't have a flying frick what 'it' is supposed to represent…), I might get an iPhone 4 (translator's note: though by saying 4th gen, he may mean iPod touch, which would also imply iPod touch for the first note) or get a white model of the (translator's note: iPhone 5 or 5th gen iPod touch?)

FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, MAN.

Quote:

i hope their changes

Why, pray tell, do you want cosmetic changes to the second-best looking phone ever created (other than to be able to say, "Look guys, I have the new iPhone! See, you can tell by the fact that it has a new design!")?

Quote:

i been wait 3 months

Reeeeal long wait time there. \

Quote:

cant wait to jailbreak iOS 5

For what REASON?! Honestly, are you doing it just to do it anymore?