HTC eyeing webOS purchase to compete with Apple's iOS

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 110
    All those links and no answer to the question asked. Also, btw, I use my iPad for WORK in advertising and marketing.
  • Reply 102 of 110
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 103 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Well, for those who didn't quite get the drift of that reading list, the answer was "yes".

My oh my, impressive! However did anyone ever get work done before tablets? Why, I'll bet Madison Avenue never existed before the iPad was launched!

Look, I never said Steve Jobs will come to your house and force you to use the multitasking Apple will be adding to iOS, any more than anyone really cares whether you've used multitasking on a laptop.

I only said it's coming to iOS, and while there's been a lot of random argument not a single person here has been willing to demonstrate their belief to the contrary by taking me up on my bet.

The question can't be answered with a yes or no so I have no clue what you are talking about. What is so great about "true" multitasking in everyday usage?

That other stuff you wrote was rambling nonsense so no comment on that.
  • Reply 104 of 110
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Well, for those who didn't quite get the drift of that reading list, the answer was "yes".

If the answer was "yes" then why didn't you understand that you could do EVERYTHING in your example under iOS? Because you are either clueless, a troll or most likely both.

Quote:

I only said it's coming to iOS, and while there's been a lot of random argument not a single person here has been willing to demonstrate their belief to the contrary by taking me up on my bet.

Because the bet is asinine. iOS already has multitasking. That Apple will continue to expand the APIs is also a given. As is eventually offering unfettered persistent backgrounding when battery, memory and CPU improves to the point where the average user will see no slowdown regardless of how many forgotten apps are running in the background. That may be a very long time but it will eventually happen. In the mean time there is very little that you can do multitasking wise on android that iOS apps can't accomplish. There are certainly a few scenarios that exist but you appear incapable of finding them.

I'll give you an easy freebie: Running a web or vnc server in the background. Granted that is such an oddball scenario that only a few geeks want to do that. They can freaking jailbreak.

When technology advances sufficiently that Flash suckage no longer matters is also when you will see Flash on iOS. Don't hold your breath for that one.
  • Reply 105 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Because you are either clueless, a troll or most likely both.

Took you until now to see that this guy's a troll?
  • Reply 106 of 110
    deleted
  • Reply 107 of 110
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Did you read the links I provided? Apple devs understand, as shown in the links to Apple's dev pages, that 'net connections cannot be sustained while an app is in the background.

As both an android and ios dev, yea, I've read that stuff at some point. On the other hand, the half dozen or so vnc apps support fast app switching without disconnecting. So you can indeed check email, while downloading a file and have a vnc client "running" (sleeping) in the background. With fast app switch and quick reconnect features in the VNC apps will reconnect to your VNC server automagically.

Without draining your battery when you forget to shut down the VNC client because you took a call and then did something else for a while.
  • Reply 108 of 110
    deleted
  • Reply 109 of 110
    Quote:

Exactly. As explained in the Apple tech notes I linked to, everything shuts down when it's in the background. Your download will be suspended, and you can't even update your apps without putting away what you're working on and bringing that to the front so you can enjoy watching the progress bar.

I must be using some super secret iOS then because neither my phone or ipad works that way. It updates and downloads in the background just fine. There is a time limit though on inactive apps. Is that what you are referring to?