GameStop to take on iPad by reselling an existing Android gaming tablet

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Gamestopb is toast. It is just a matter of time before their business model gets blown out the water:

Blockbuster Video agrees.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    I didn't see an estimated price for this thing. If it's not significantly less (1/3) than a new console, then I think it's DOA.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Last hurrah from a dinosaur? lol
  • Reply 24 of 38
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    So, how many good games are there for Android that are not clones from iOS. More importantly, how many tablet games are there for android? Sounds like a bad idea, and I would just buy Onlive instead. At least those guys can work cross platform, including mobile devices, and have some sort of future. Reselling physical disks will be the realm of Amazon pretty soon, as having a physical store will make it too expensive to stock physical items.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So let me guess, GameStop will cash in by selling ROM's for these emulators?

Wow, pretty soon they'll be rolling in the big bucks.

Yep, that's a highly lucrative and sustainable business model right there. Selling piece of shit Android tablets to cheapskates so that they can play obsolete and pirated ROMs?

The only money in older games is if companies release them for iOS. Can you imagine how many millions of copies somebody like Nintendo would sell if they released Mario etc?
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

So, how many good games are there for Android that are not clones from iOS. More importantly, how many tablet games are there for android? Sounds like a bad idea, and I would just buy Onlive instead. At least those guys can work cross platform, including mobile devices, and have some sort of future. Reselling physical disks will be the realm of Amazon pretty soon, as having a physical store will make it too expensive to stock physical items.

they're called ports not clones...and there are quite a few games that are good for Android and don't exist on iOS...it happens, iOS isn't the be all end all in gaming...quality exists elsewhere.

How many tablet games for Android? pretty much all of them since they scale up well.

But yes...this does sound like a bad idea...the phone blitzkrieg model of sales will not work for tablets....I don't understand what these OEMs don't get. Subsidizing these things for 300 is retarded.

Unless Android tablets get a serious marketing overhaul they NEED to die. If anything comes from the MMI deal hopefully a good tablet can arise. Yes using the Apple vertical formula.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

it happens, iOS isn't the be all end all in gaming...quality exists elsewhere.

I'm an Apple fan but that is definitely truth. Heck, Apple didn't even intentionally get into gaming so I doubt it's some gaming holy grail.

Quote:

Unless Android tablets get a serious marketing overhaul they NEED to die. If anything comes from the MMI deal hopefully a good tablet can arise. Yes using the Apple vertical formula.

The Xoom was an exclusive, Google-backed tablet and it didn't do very well. Google states that it plans to run Motorola as separate, hands-off entity. That means either more of the same or Google is getting proactive which should make its partners very nervous.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

I'm an Apple fan but that is definitely truth. Heck, Apple didn't even intentionally get into gaming so I doubt it's some gaming holy grail.

Not on iOS. Apple does not make Mac games, but it is the leader in gaming on mobile devices. That is why nintendo is scared shitless of the Touch.

Here is Gameloft's home page. It clearly separates iPhone and iPad games out from the rest of smartphone games. That is for a reason, because gaming on iDevices is way better than the competition, especially for tablets.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'm still trying to understand why everyone is repeating the expectation that an Amazon-branded Android tablet will seduce the masses. It doesn't exist yet. It's like everyone was saying that Android tablets would own the iPad and before that, it was people predicting the iPad would fail because there was no tablet market. Tech sites are just echo chambers.

To be fair. Amazon does have an ecosystem...
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yep, that's a highly lucrative and sustainable business model right there. Selling piece of shit Android tablets to cheapskates so that they can play obsolete and pirated ROMs?

The only money in older games is if companies release them for iOS. Can you imagine how many millions of copies somebody like Nintendo would sell if they released Mario etc?

The Sonic ports by SEGA (1 & 2) were quite good. Titles from big game companies seem a bit expensive at first (compared to $0.99 apps, that is), but when you factor in the playing time you get for your buck, it's pretty cool.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:

I'm an Apple fan but...

Uh-huh. I know what comes next...
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:

The Xoom was an exclusive, Google-backed tablet and it didn't do very well. Google states that it plans to run Motorola as separate, hands-off entity. That means either more of the same or Google is getting proactive which should make its partners very nervous.

I mean't backed by Google sold by Google...at a competitive price. None of this carrier subsidized BS.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Uh-huh. I know what comes next...

but he is undoubtedly an Apple fan....

then again I'm guessing you were being facetious.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    The Slashdot story:

http://games.slashdot.org/story/11/0...Android-Tablet

Personally, I think this could work. GameStop is going to have a controller for their tablet. If they have a decent online store or XBox Live-type experience, and sell games designed to work with their controller, I think they could distinguish their brand and provide a reason for people to identify GameStop with gaming on Android.

Maybe they could make their XBox Live-clone free for a year if you buy your tablet from them, otherwise it's some amount per month. Provide perks to people who use genuine GameStop branded hardware.

The story linked by Slashdot mentions GameStop will stream games to the tablet. I'm guessing that means playing PC, XBox or PS3 games using the tablet as a display and controller. That sounds like a disaster to me. Network latency & lag are the bane of online gaming. I don't understand how you overcome physics to deliver a compelling experience from a server hundreds or thousands of miles away.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    GameStop does have a chance to hit big on this. Just follow HP and netflix: provide a tablet for $99 and all the games you want to play for a subscription of $9.99 a month. With the TouchPad demand and growth of Netflix, this is the formula to win.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    "their called ports not clones"

The word is "they're" not "their"
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FjordPrefect View Post

It'd help if you'd quote the post of which you're making fun.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FjordPrefect View Post

thanks for the correction...it's rare that I make such mistakes.