Sprint briefs employees on Apple's iPhone 4 ahead of Oct. launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbehunin View Post

3GS isn't going away, since iOS5 will continue to support it.

Going away as a current product. I have a 4, but I still retain my old 3G. its still useful for some purposes. it has 4.2.1. Slower in some aspects, but perfectly usable. The 3GS will go the same way.

Jeeze! It's old! almost 27 months old. it will be about 28 months old when they discontinue it. Amazing that its still the second most popular phone by sales; after the 4.

So we should see sales rise all around. According to all surveys, the pent up demand for the new phone is tremendous, and the 4 should sell very well at the discounted price, esp. since its so much newer, and will look so much like the new phone, which cant be said for the 3GS.

Of course, if it looks TOO much like the new model, some people may just buy it instead.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bwana_Dik View Post

Agree 100%. There is no way Sprint would accept a plan that has them delivering the iPhone 4 at the same time that the rivals will be introducing the iPhone 5. That would amount to an admission of 2nd class citizenship on Sprint's part.

This is one of the least credible rumors I've seen yet, and probably didn't merit repeating.

This is because he's misinterpreting the rumor. I gave a reasonable explanation as to why it is believable. There's very little that we don't know about this. That Sprint will have the phone is pretty much agreed as being a done deal. But they can't speak about a product Apple hasn't announced yet, so they mention the one we all know about.

it's pretty obvious that the vacation blackout Sprint has for a couple of weeks is for the introduction of the phone.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Define 4G. I think most people would agree that WiMax and LTE, both available in the U.S. on Verizon and Sprint would qualify. Japan was actually very late to the LTE party. They only just started their service and only on tablets a few months ago. I don't know if they finally have LTE phones or not yet, but they were hardly the first to 4G. The U.S. beat Japan to 4G by a wide stretch. Prior to the iPhone in Japan, most people used very simplistic dumb flip phones. Granted, they included very nice cameras and a few other nice specs, but essentially feature phones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

UQ Communications deployed Wi-Max in Tokyo in February 2009.

Clearwire deployed it's network starting Portland in January 2009.

LTE and WiMax, as implemented currently, are 3.5G or pre 4G tech. The use of 4G to describe upgraded wireless data networks is deceptive marketing that fools an uneducated public.

Prior to the iPhone in Japan...

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/02/why-the-iphone/ - Why the Japanese Hate the iPhone

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/wireles...6/japan_phones - In Japan, Cellphones Have Become Too Complex to Use
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Quote:

What good is 4G LTE if you have a 2GB data cap? It is pretty easy to blow through 2GB with a really fast connection since you are far more likely to stream a lot more video. I use more than 2GB now primarily on 3G.

That my friend, is the whole point. They want you to blow by that cap, so they can charge you the ridiculous rates for going over your data plan.

If Sprint is offering unlimited with 4G LTE, then I might switch to them.

Side Note: There is a major game changer in iOS5. It is iMessage. If all of your friends have iOS devices, you can send them messages and what not. This would make SMS/MMS almost completely irrelevant. The next thing that would have to happen (to make sure that happens) is to allow competing platforms to use the iMessage framework.

Bye Bye Text Messages?.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    I think Sprint will get the current iPhone 4 that is on Verizon as well as the iPhone 5 or 4S or whatever it is going to be called. I saw some other stories today talking about Sprint only getting the iPhone 4 and not the 5 until Spring of 2012. That wouldn't make any sense. I think Apple is ready to fight Android head on and allowing the iPhone 4 in addition to the 5 would allow them to compete at the $99 price point as well as the higher end $199 and $299.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHrubik View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

UQ Communications deployed Wi-Max in Tokyo in February 2009.

Clearwire deployed it's network starting Portland in January 2009.

LTE and WiMax, as implemented currently, are 3.5G or pre 4G tech. The use of 4G to describe upgraded wireless data networks is deceptive marketing that fools an uneducated public.

Prior to the iPhone in Japan...

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/02/why-the-iphone/ - Why the Japanese Hate the iPhone

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/wireles...6/japan_phones - In Japan, Cellphones Have Become Too Complex to Use

You are the uneducated one if you think Japan has a working LTE or WiMAx network and any phones that can utilize it. It was data cards only earlier this year and I think they just released a Samsung Galaxy Tablet with LTE. To my knowledge there are no 4G PHONES in japan at all. The U.S. is far ahead of Japan in this respect. Considering just how much larger the U.S. is in terms of geography, that is pretty impressive. By the way, I lived in Japan for 13 years and still follow the news there pretty closely. I have friends there using DoCoMo, Softbank, and KDDI.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

That my friend, is the whole point. They want you to blow by that cap, so they can charge you the ridiculous rates for going over your data plan.

Side Note: There is a major game changer in iOS5. It is iMessage. If all of your friends have iOS devices, you can send them messages and what not. This would make SMS/MMS almost completely irrelevant. The next thing that would have to happen (to make sure that happens) is to allow competing platforms to use the iMessage framework.

Bye Bye Text Messages?.

But Sprint doesn't have 4G LTE, they have the non standard WiMax.

What needs to be done before buying a so called 4G phone at Sprint is to find out if it also works on other HSPA+ networks such as what AT&T and Verizon are using. if not, when you need to roam, assuming you are willing to pay the cost, you won't be able to use the "4G" at all. And with Sprint, there's a greater chance of roaming than "even" AT&T. And then, if you decide to move to Verizon, you may not get 4G at all.

Of course, T-Mobile is the worst.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    Quote:

You are the uneducated one if you think Japan has a working LTE or WiMAx network and any phones that can utilize it. It was data cards only earlier this year and I think they just released a Samsung Galaxy Tablet with LTE. To my knowledge there are no 4G PHONES in japan at all. The U.S. is far ahead of Japan in this respect. Considering just how much larger the U.S. is in terms of geography, that is pretty impressive. By the way, I lived in Japan for 13 years and still follow the news there pretty closely. I have friends there using DoCoMo, Softbank, and KDDI.

I'm not arguing phones I'm saying you don't know your ass from a hole in the wall when it comes to 4G. As far the capability they had it. Apparently the carriers chose not to make the deals necessary to take advantage of it but they had it.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Quote:

Bye Bye Text Messages?.

I don't see imessage or numerous other apps that do the same thing replacing text messaging. For one, most people have unlimited text plans. What would be the advantage? It would also be too difficult to try and figure out who has an iOS device or not.

At least with Google Voice you can text to a standard mobile number and receive replies either through your standard text messaging or via Google Voice or even your computer. So that works well in addition to standard texting but not as a replacement. Text messaging is not going anywhere anytime soon. It is just too easy to click on a contact and send a text. iMessanging has too many drawbacks since most people have a friends with Android, Blackberry, and even flip phones on numerous carriers. Standard texts does the job perfectly fine for most people.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:

3GS needs to go away. It's holding back software development.

Actually the 3GS is pretty fast. The game I'm developing pretty much always has higher frame rates on a 3GS than an iPhone 4. Why? Because although it's true that the iPhone 4 has a bit over twice the horsepower it has to display four times as many pixels. So if the iPhone 4 should stick around I see no reason the 3GS can't too.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

I agree with this reasoning - this is a low-level guy who doesn't know squat, and they reason they were briefed on the iP4 is that's all that's out yet.

I will say that if Sprint *doesn't* get the iP5 next month, it's likely I'll be one of many jumping ship. I've waiting a long time for Sprint to get the iPhone, but with my contract up and my frustration with my BB running high, I just don't have any interest or incentive to wait another 4 or 5 months for the iP5 to maybe finally eventually come to Sprint.

I'm on the same boat. If Sprint only gets a halfassed iPhone launch, I'll be pissed. I've waited years for this.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:

I'm not arguing phones I'm saying you don't know your ass from a hole in the wall when it comes to 4G. As far the capability they had it. Apparently the carriers chose not to make the deals necessary to take advantage of it but they had it.

So please explain how the 4G network in Japan is superior when they don't sell any phones that can use it? I am confused.

I never claimed to be a 4G expert, but I don't have to be. DoComo just got their LTE network running this year which is far behind the U.S. In fact, they won't have any phones that can use their 4G network for many more months to come.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What needs to be done before buying a so called 4G phone at Sprint is to find out if it also works on other HSPA+ networks such as what AT&T and Verizon are using. if not, when you need to roam, assuming you are willing to pay the cost, you won't be able to use the "4G" at all. And with Sprint, there's a greater chance of roaming than "even" AT&T. And then, if you decide to move to Verizon, you may not get 4G at all.

It is highly unlikely that the next iPhone will include LTE or WiMax. It certainly may offer HSPA+ for AT&T and possibly T-Mobile though. The reason is that both LTE and WiMax are battery hogs and Apple is unwilling to compromise. I also think Apple is waiting for LTE to more fully deploy. It is like the whole iPhone 1 with only 2.5G all over again.

I disagree with Sprint roaming more often than AT&T though. My experience is quite the opposite. I only have to roam when I am way out in the boonies, basically with no town or major highway around. We can also roam for free on Verizon. AT&T iPhones can't roam on Verizon can they? Also not sure why you said Verizon offers HSPA+, I thought the GSM functionality on the iPhone was turned off and even on the next iPhone, it will only work for GSM networks in other countries not in the U.S.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    The Verizon iPhone 4's GSM/UTMS/HSPA circuitry is a dead appendage. There's no SIM card slot in the handset.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

The Verizon iPhone 4's GSM/UTMS/HSPA circuitry is a dead appendage. There's no SIM card slot in the handset.

That is what I thought. This may change with the next iPhone, but I understood that the GSM part of the Verizon and Sprint version would only work for overseas GSM networks and would not work on AT&T or T-Mobile in the U.S.

It would essentially work like the other "world" phones similar to the Motorola Photon on Sprint for example.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, first I didn't say the next one would have 4G. I just said when. I should have specified I meant true LTE 4G, not that WiMax junk they are peddling. That is being nit-picky though, so I won't say any more about that.

As far as iMessage goes though, most people don't have unlimited plans. I'll say it again though, Apple needs to open that up so other devices can use it (just like I wish they would open up the FaceTime protocol). That way it becomes a competitor to SMS/MMS.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    Quote:

As far as iMessage goes though, most people don't have unlimited plans. I'll say it again though, Apple needs to open that up so other devices can use it (just like I wish they would open up the FaceTime protocol). That way it becomes a competitor to SMS/MMS.

Doesn't matter. People won't use it. iChat used open protocols when it was introduced in aught four.

Everyone completely ignored that and did their own thing.

Now we have Skype which isn't compatible at all, among others. iMessage and FaceTime being the standards for the world isn't happening.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Doesn't matter. People won't use it. iChat used open protocols when it was introduced in aught four.

Everyone completely ignored that and did their own thing.

Now we have Skype which isn't compatible at all, among others. iMessage and FaceTime being the standards for the world isn't happening.

Well, that's certainly true, but iMessage will be the standard for iOS users since it is replacing/merging with the SMS/MMS app.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jglavin View Post

Well, that's certainly true, but iMessage will be the standard for iOS users since it is replacing/merging with the SMS/MMS app.

Which is basically meaningless. iChat's the standard for Mac users, but people use Skype and even Microsoft Messenger For Mac. iMessage is pointless unless other people support it.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    I think that Apple is finally ready to take on Android head on in the U.S. They started off slowly with only one model on one carrier. Then they expanded by offering a 3GS at a lower price point when the iPhone 4 came out essentially competing with the cheaper and low end Android phones in the sub $100 market. The next step was to add Verizon and soon (hopefully) Sprint and possibly T-Mobile.

I think it is would make a lot of sense to release both the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 for Sprint. This would allow Apple to essentially offer two phone models competing at $99 or even cheaper, as well as $199 & $299 for the iPhone 5 models. That is a pretty smart and cost effective policy and allows them to compete in all price ranges.

Of course the actual cost of the phone is but a small percentage of the actual cost of ownership over two years, but I suppose some people are happy with a slightly older version to save $100 or possibly more.