Purported iPhone 5 part suggests Apple won't change home button

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Unsurprising.

The circle is a better shape than an oval, at least in aesthetic terms. And we know how much Steve cares about aesthetics. An oval home button would have to feature considerably more functionality than an circular button, but that's not really feasible. And none of this "gesture swiping" B.S. If you need gestures, you'd do it on the touch panel screen, not on some tiny oval button.

This whole oval home button rumor is completely retarded.

Think about this though........if you had a slightly enlarged and oval home button, you could have multitouch function with it. For example, instead of having to double click the home button to pull up the multitask menu bar, you could just swipe left/right to go to the next open application. This is pretty much how the new iOS 5 software works on my iPad 2. I use 4 or 5 fingers and just swipe the screen to go to my open apps. It's much easier and quicker. I hope this report is wrong and they do go with the oval button. However, it won't be a deal breaker..........it would just be nice.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What are those people doing that breaks their Home Button? Punching the iPhone isn't standard use.

I use my iPhone daily and have for the past 4.5 years. My Home Button works like Day One 2007?

Probably jacking around with the phone. My 3G home button still works just fine, and that is even considering it is only used by my toddler to play games. My wifes home button however works only about 80% of the time, but I had to change the screen out because she cracked it once. I think the changed screen/opening the phones guts has something to do with the button not responding. Probably what has happened with some of these users. With some, I bet they just got a bad part. It happens.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

Well, the A5 alone is enough for me. Have you compared an iPad vs. iPad 2 side by side, in terms of 3D performance? Besides, my 3GS contract is about to expire

I haven't, but I'm interested to see if the processor is that much faster in the phone. At least I will be able to go into the store and use a 4 and the new 5 side by side and see if it is noticeably faster.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dhinged View Post

Why don't they just make an iPhone with more buttons on it? It would be really nice to have a cancel button, a play/pause button (maybe next/back buttons?), and a hang up button. Trying to program 3 or more functions into one single button is not only unintuitive but more difficult for the user. This is one of the few things stopping me and probably a lot of other people from buying an iPhone.

lock the phone while listening, double press the home button, and you have all those button on your nice smooth touch screen.

Problem solved, enjoy your new iPhone
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:

Why don't they just make an iPhone with more buttons on it? It would be really nice to have a cancel button, a play/pause button (maybe next/back buttons?), and a hang up button.

Way too complicated for Grandma.

I used to have a smartphone with a full keyboard. I'd hand ot to people and they would freak, saying "I don't know haw to use this", even though it had the regular green and red phone buttons and regular number buttons.

Apple knew that.

So they designed the iPhone to have only one button on the face. That way, the technophobes would not get freaked. They could push the one button, and be led to the unlock slider, and get the idea that even they could use the thing without having to hurt their brain.

Apple will keep the one button. It is now emblematic of their entire design philosophy: so easy, even YOU can do it.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This is the iPhone 4S home button, not the iPhone 5 home button?
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:

What are those people doing that breaks their Home Button? Punching the iPhone isn't standard use.

I use my iPhone daily and have for the past 4.5 years. My Home Button works like Day One 2007?

Well mine isn't broken, as in non-functional, but after about a year's worth of use, when I click the Home button, it seems to get "confused" between double click and single click. The multi-tasker screen comes up when I didn't intend it to or it switches to the Search screen or something else I didn't intend it to do. I've noticed this with every one of my iPhones after a year or so. I just figured it was wear and tear.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stickyd View Post

Think about this though........if you had a slightly enlarged and oval home button, you could have multitouch function with it. For example, instead of having to double click the home button to pull up the multitask menu bar, you could just swipe left/right to go to the next open application. This is pretty much how the new iOS 5 software works on my iPad 2. I use 4 or 5 fingers and just swipe the screen to go to my open apps. It's much easier and quicker. I hope this report is wrong and they do go with the oval button. However, it won't be a deal breaker..........it would just be nice.

For the record, I personally want a redesigned iPhone5, as I am not a big fan of the iPhone 4. And with that in mind, I have a question for anyone wanting a "gesture button". You are basically saying that the primary function of this gesture button/area would be to swipe between open apps as a quick app switcher, right?

If this is correct, then which of these two options would make the most sense?

1. Re-engineering a new size and shape home button with capacitive touch properties that would require re-engineering a new phone enclosure to accommodate the new home button so that it can respond to swipes for switching between apps...

or...

2. Use the existing touch screen on the existing device and enable software to use multi-finger swipes to switch between apps?

Personally I think Apple should improve app switching and take the work load off of double-clicking the home button, but it seems like option 2 above would be a much better choice all the way around.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stickyd View Post

And what happens when something accidentally brushes that button, mmm?

Again, bad UI, bad human input design.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:

Why don't they just make an iPhone with more buttons on it? It would be really nice to have a cancel button, a play/pause button (maybe next/back buttons?), and a hang up button. Trying to program 3 or more functions into one single button is not only unintuitive but more difficult for the user. This is one of the few things stopping me and probably a lot of other people from buying an iPhone.

Tons of buttons is un-Steve.

Steve favors simple, elegant, and thin. That's his aesthetic and Apple's too. If you don't understand that, you fundamentally don't understand Steve Jobs and Apple.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:

My guess would be they are putting it in their pockets quite a bit. I rarely put my iPhone 4 in my pocket but when I do I notice all the lint that collects near the 30 pin connector on the white Apple bumper. It could be that grime, dirt, dust, and lint are collecting or getting in there and possibly that gunk makes it's way to the home button and causes issues.

Or maybe they have dropped it one to many times.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

My guess would be they are putting it in their pockets quite a bit. I rarely put my iPhone 4 in my pocket but when I do I notice all the lint that collects near the 30 pin connector on the white Apple bumper. It could be that grime, dirt, dust, and lint are collecting or getting in there and possibly that gunk makes it's way to the home button and causes issues.

And there are lots of easy to find solutions for cleaning out a sticky Home Button, including taking it to an Apple Store to get a replacement.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bieb View Post

I have to agree.

If it was just a minor upgrade like the 3gs was we would have seen this thing back in June. I'm holding out hope for a re-design.

Have you considered that maybe some critical/new part was/is in short supply because of the disaster in Japan? Perhaps the delay was from waiting for a supplier to resume production of a part or a new supplier being sourced and coming up to speed?

Apple may be a supply chain ninja but even they can't be expected to be immune to natural disasters. Imho.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:

Or it might just need a good vacuuming at the 30 Pin wonder connector, compressed air is not a good idea as it may force dust up and into the screen. See this Apple support thread for further information.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

*Looks like Sol posted this first.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    I'm not so sure this internal part really means anything as it relates to the physical button that presses the PCB button. Have you ever taken apart a VCR or DVD Player? The Play button may be bigger or longer than the rewind button, but the PCB button the physical button presses is the same. In most electronics I've seen the size of the PCB button doesn't always correlate to the piece of plastic that presses it.

If anything, this tells me that they are sticking with a physical button and aren't going multitouch on it yet. I don't think you can go so far as to say the design itself is going to be a circle or oval based on this part, though. Definitely not with any certainty.

I know I don't post much, but I'm definitely a stalker. Just thought I would add my two cents on this since I've been taking stuff apart to see how it works for more than half my life.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

Great, now we have to listen to those few people complain about how the button breaks for the next few months.

Yup, the button broke on mine after about six months. So far, touch wood, my replacement is doing alright. I'm using Activator on a jailbreaked iPhone4 so I have gestures that allow me to "stress" the wonderful home button less.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:

Or maybe, some batches of iPhone4s simply have, I dunno, a defective home button?
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

...I just figured it was wear and tear.

It's a, may I repeat, defective home button on some iPhones. My iPhone 3G and 3GS still doesn't seem to have this issue after these few years.

What sort of smartphone button fails after one year due to wear and tear? A defective or poorly-designed one.

You don't commonly see a MacBook suddenly lose the ability to press the "T" button after a few years.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And there are lots of easy to find solutions for cleaning out a sticky Home Button, including taking it to an Apple Store to get a replacement.

Yes, Apple has been responsive in providing replacements. Other solutions work for a while, but the issue tends to resurface and it's very annoying because it is otherwise a superb phone. Unfortunately for me, my wonderful local telco only offers 1 year warranty on the phone even though it's on a 2 year contract. So, well, we'll see. I got my replacement iPhone4 a few months before the warranty ended, and well, like I said, we'll see how it goes. My current iPhone4 is very naiice.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Apple may change the design of the home button