Microsoft unveils Windows 8 tablet effort with Samsung prototype

Comments

• Reply 21 of 208
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Wow this is really awful, much worse than I would've expected. They really shouldn't be showing something so incomplete and buggy.
  • Reply 22 of 208
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Use a standard mouse and keyboard with a Windows tablet and it "doesn't look bad."

It's a miracle tablet.

So, what was so bad about the keyboard and mouse usage in that video? From what i saw, it responded quite naturally to mouse and keyboard input. Nor did anything looked awkward or out of place. In fact, it look as if he was able to quickly access most of the ui elements as easily with the mouse as he did with touch.

If you saw something wrong with how it handled mouse input, please, let me know, since i will most likely be using win8 on my desktop in a year with keyboard and mouse exclusively.
  • Reply 23 of 208
    I couldn't help but laugh out loud several times while watching that video. That interface is horrendous... if people that write for a tech Web site can't use the interface reasonably well, how will this ever be something that people will want? (Aside from the hardcore anti-Apple crowd, of course.)

The iPad is doing well because the mass market wants a simple appliance that lets them do things like update Facebook and browse the Internet in a simple and predictable way. This Windows 8 abomination shows to me how Microsoft is just not understanding the market. Instead of creating a new, predictable interface paradigm focused on the simplicity of a tablet, they've simply slapped a touch-centric interface on top of a mouse/keyboard OS interface. I can't possibly imagine Grandma or some other non-technical person wanting to use this thing.

It's almost like Microsoft thought to themselves, "Windows is far too easy to use. We should change the Start menu into a full-screen menu of apps from which the user won't know how to escape."
  • Reply 24 of 208
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Wow. Is microsoft really this out of touch? They still really don't get the tablet market do they?

The mass appeal of tablet market is NOT about the power user minority. It's about simplicity and accessibility to the majority of consumers who are intimidated by traditional overly complex computer interfaces. MS just can't help themselves. This is because their only angle on tablets is legacy desktop software. So predictable and sad.
  • Reply 25 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Use a standard mouse and keyboard with a Windows tablet and it "doesn't look bad."

It's a miracle tablet.

Don't forget: you also get a stylus.
  • Reply 26 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sinofsky saying. "You saw some little snafus today; there are going to be more of them."

Had to Cmd-Ctrl-D on snafus, & wasn't surprised to read:

"noun

a confused or chaotic state; a mess : an enormous amount of my time was devoted to untangling snafus.

adjective

in utter confusion or chaos : our refrigeration plant is snafu."

How the heck does Sinofsky mean: "there are going to be more of them"? Meaning it is a pre-beta, I presume? A pre-beta. Wow. Reminds me of GMv2. MS hasn't changed a bit.
  • Reply 27 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHrubik View Post

Are you kidding me? Microsoft was doing tablet form factor PCs years before the iPad was a thought. There is nothing remotely similar to an iPad here.

I think the reference was to the Samsung hardware, not the Microsoft OS. The hardware they're testing it on is pretty much identical to the iPad in terms of physical appearance - albeit it's landscape by default.
  • Reply 28 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft offered an extended preview of its upcoming Windows 8 operating system at a conference on Tuesday, providing developers with a prototype Samsung tablet running a "pre-beta" version of the OS.

With Apple's iOS-running iPad totally dominating the tablet market, the most challenging competition would be ONE, COHERENT ALTERNATIVE ? like Android.

But with Windows 7 Phone for Tablets and now Windows 8 Desktop soon to be running on Tablets (promising to provide "full-PC functionality" in Tablet form ? didn't they already try this back in 2000? Glad to see they learned their lesson), Android (bifurcating, "tri-furcating," etc. as each licensee ? in competition with each other ? has access to the Android source code and tries to put a differentiating "face" on their Tablet; with recent promises that webOS will be resurrected; with BlackBerry's Tablet OS (which requires running "BlackBerry Bridge" to sync with your BlackBerry smartphone ? not quite the same as iOS 4 or 5 running on your iPhone, iPod touch and iPad); with HTC announcing they're "shopping" to buy their very own proprietary Tablet OS (webOS? TRON? "Plan 9 touch"?), things couldn't be better for Apple and iOS devices.

Again, a single, coherent worthy alternative MIGHT pose a challenge, but a proliferation of non-iOS mobile operating systems (one of them splintering so badly that they're buying a handset maker to try Apple's successful "single-purveyor" approach after trying the Microsoft DOS and Windows license-to-anyone-who'll-pay-us approach. Any guesses who I'm talking about? Anyone? Anyone?) makes alternatives to Apple iOS devices look scatterbrained, incoherent ? and the mobile OS abandonment and switching on the part of some companies looks capricious and doesn't exactly inspire confidence in consumers. "Will they switch to a different OS tomorrow and leave me in the lurch?" (Fortunately, there won't be a large number of people to "leave in the lurch" as Apple continues to, as iPad's fretful competitors put it, "iPod the Tablet market.")

So, by all means, more mobile OSes, PLEASE! More, More! MORE!

The iPad and iOS will progress as "the only game in town," the only choice that has its act together, has some "direction," some dependability.

The rest will look like The Seven (hopefully more) Dwarfs and "rudderless," like the Keystone Kops or The Three Stooges (I guess Microsoft would be "Moe"), except many more than "Three."

The more the merrier!

• Reply 29 of 208
    Actually I think a more "techie" tablet makes a lot of sense and windows stands a better chance than android, at least in business areas. I love my ipad but still can't work out why I really need it, I find myself taking it along for the hell of it sometimes. That's part of the genius, almost a new product paradigm. The windows one is probably more practical but I doubt it will translate into comparable sales. Good luck to them though, competition is good.
  • Reply 30 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

oh...a Core i5 requires active cooling in a tablet. Guess what? It requires active cooling in a desktop, too.

We understand that much, thanks. Point is that no-one wants active cooling on a tablet, and no-one knows how Windows 8 will run on slower hardware. The fact that Microsoft had Samsung build some kind of tablet prototype with an i5 suggests that running Windows 8 on ARM-based tableat hardware is not going to be fun in its current state.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

The funny things is...this is just a developer platform...much like those G5 PowerMac were development platforms for the Xbox 360.

The funny thing is that a G5 PowerMac is actually very comparable to an xbox 360 in CPU performance (the 360 CPU is a stripped-down Power5 with 3 cores at 3 Ghz, adapted to trade in some general-purpose performance to increase peak floating point and cache performance). Even funnier is that we've all seen the big mess Microsoft ended up in with the first few generations of xbox 360 hardware: loud, unreliable, running too hot. It took them almost 5 years to get it right. If this Samsung 'developer platform' serves as an indication where W8 on tablets, things are not looking so great.
  • Reply 31 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'm not a big MS fan by any means but I'd put my money on this 50 to 1 horse. I've said it a few times before... Google doesn't have to worry about Apple... it has to worry about MS. jmho

+1 - If you've read a number of my posts, yes... I am a betting guy.

Said it before... and I'll say it again: MS is the one to watch. Slow out of the gate, but as with DOS/Windows, they WILL eventually catch up. Actually, they have no other recourse.

Can we all agree to switch out Apple for Google, as in "Google is DOOMED!"?, because my further bet is that Google halts active Android development as early as next Summer. They'll put their chips on Chrome, which they WONT open source. They'll realize that they are a one-trick pony, and will concentrate on search and ads. They will slide though, because I seriously doubt that MS will ship Win8 tablets defaulted to Google Search. Even IF the manufacturers default Google themselves, I expect that there will be some heated words and thrown chairs behind closed doors the next time MS meets up with them.

Funny, but I think Amazon will pick up the Android ball, and continue to run with it as a solid 3rd-place alternative. They'll work out something with Larry re: licensing, and pull the plug on anything re: open sourcing their work behind the scenes.

As for Sammy, they'll go full switch to Windows, dropping Android in the process. They will sully up their "trade dress" and "Apple-look" to include multiple stickers, multi-colored photo shots on their products, etc. Considering that it's not "really" about the tablet form-factor... it's about the whole bundle, most of which is a dead-on copy of Apple's.

PS. As much as I dislike MS... I am pulling for them on this one. Reality says that you can't get enterprise to switch "seriously" to Apple... or Android for that matter. I'm looking forward to integrating both Apple and MS products where necessary. It's been my bread-and-butter for years, and I have about 10 left before I can hang up my mouse
  • Reply 32 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Don't forget: you also get a stylus.

If you hear a fan, we blew it
  • Reply 33 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macrosheep View Post

I couldn't help but laugh out loud several times while watching that video. That interface is horrendous... if people that write for a tech Web site can't use the interface reasonably well, how will this ever be something that people will want? (Aside from the hardcore anti-Apple crowd, of course.)

The iPad is doing well because the mass market wants a simple appliance that lets them do things like update Facebook and browse the Internet in a simple and predictable way. This Windows 8 abomination shows to me how Microsoft is just not understanding the market. Instead of creating a new, predictable interface paradigm focused on the simplicity of a tablet, they've simply slapped a touch-centric interface on top of a mouse/keyboard OS interface. I can't possibly imagine Grandma or some other non-technical person wanting to use this thing.

It's almost like Microsoft thought to themselves, "Windows is far too easy to use. We should change the Start menu into a full-screen menu of apps from which the user won't know how to escape."

The iPad is for consumers i.e. your Grandma... AND small business. I've switched untold everyday home users, as well as many professionals (lawyers, architects, doctors, etc.).

However... big business, enterprise, etc. needs Windows and a tablet solution... that integrates with Windows. Period. Sorry. But that is what I am being told every single time I run up to a client with more than 50 people (here in Germany). As for the pro-sumer Geeks and anti-Apple crowd, that's just gravy.

Windows systems have always been clunkers in comparison to Apple, with a team of IT guys to keep it running. IT depts. will be jumping all over Win8. Mark my words. MS realizes this... and is catering to them. Realistic... and dare I say, good choice IMHO.

Windows anything is NOT for your Grandma... without "you" around.
  • Reply 34 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

The iPad is for consumers i.e. your Grandma... AND small business. I've switched untold everyday home users, as well as many professionals (lawyers, architects, doctors, etc.).

However... big business, enterprise, etc. needs Windows and a tablet solution... that integrates with Windows. Period. Sorry. But that is what I am being told every single time I run up to a client with more than 50 people (here in Germany). As for the pro-sumer Geeks and anti-Apple crowd, that's just gravy.

Windows systems have always been clunkers in comparison to Apple, with a team of IT guys to keep it running. IT depts. will be jumping all over Win8. Mark my words. MS realizes this... and is catering to them. Realistic... and dare I say, good choice IMHO.

Windows anything is NOT for your Grandma... without "you" around.

^^So true.

I guess the "so hot now, growing, everyone wants a slice"-table market is not just about targeting consumers.

But sounds a bit like pharmacists celebrating the spread of a disease.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

[...]Can we all agree to switch out Apple for Google, as in "Google is DOOMED!"™, because my further bet is that Google halts active Android development as early as next Summer. They'll put their chips on Chrome,

...and that would be ARM or Intel?
  • Reply 35 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macs2InfinityAndBeyond View Post

With Apple's iOS-running iPad totally dominating the tablet market, the most challenging competition would be ONE, COHERENT ALTERNATIVE ? like Android.

But with Windows 7 Phone for Tablets and now Windows 8 Desktop soon to be running on Tablets (promising to provide "full-PC functionality" in Tablet form ? didn't they already try this back in 2000? Glad to see they learned their lesson), Android (bifurcating, "tri-furcating," etc. as each licensee ? in competition with each other ? has access to the Android source code and tries to put a differentiating "face" on their Tablet; with recent promises that webOS will be resurrected; with BlackBerry's Tablet OS (which requires running "BlackBerry Bridge" to sync with your BlackBerry smartphone ? not quite the same as iOS 4 or 5 running on your iPhone, iPod touch and iPad); with HTC announcing they're "shopping" to buy their very own proprietary Tablet OS (webOS? TRON? "Plan 9 touch"?), things couldn't be better for Apple and iOS devices.

Again, a single, coherent worthy alternative MIGHT pose a challenge, but a proliferation of non-iOS mobile operating systems (one of them splintering so badly that they're buying a handset maker to try Apple's successful "single-purveyor" approach after trying the Microsoft DOS and Windows license-to-anyone-who'll-pay-us approach. Any guesses who I'm talking about? Anyone? Anyone?) makes alternatives to Apple iOS devices look scatterbrained, incoherent ? and the mobile OS abandonment and switching on the part of some companies looks capricious and doesn't exactly inspire confidence in consumers. "Will they switch to a different OS tomorrow and leave me in the lurch?" (Fortunately, there won't be a large number of people to "leave in the lurch" as Apple continues to, as iPad's fretful competitors put it, "iPod the Tablet market.")

So, by all means, more mobile OSes, PLEASE! More, More! MORE!

The iPad and iOS will progress as "the only game in town," the only choice that has its act together, has some "direction," some dependability.

The rest will look like The Seven (hopefully more) Dwarfs and "rudderless," like the Keystone Kops or The Three Stooges (I guess Microsoft would be "Moe"), except many more than "Three."

The more the merrier!

Android is anything BUT coherent... and if I catch your drift regarding your challenge (Google)... you know that.

MS is the only one big enough and with enough hooks in the enterprise, to be a challenge. However, I don't consider them a challenge at all, because:

1) people are NOT going to go back to MS from iOS or OSX;

2) they will be FORCED to use the cheaper alternative at work... as they are today;

3) no one, but NO ONE, will ever say they "Love Windows" and mean it, after experiencing the ease of use of iOS or OSX.

In summary, it's an "enterprise" AND "consumer" market... no VERSUS (vs.) here. MS has one, Apple has the other.

Search and ads: Google... but dwindling steadily.

Consumer store front: Amazon is not doing badly, and I expect them to gain. That does not mean that Apple is losing or about to. It is well known that the App Store and iTunes are are a big part of Apple's eco-system and pull... but it is their hardware that makes them the big bucks. I don't see that changing (much) in the future.
  • Reply 36 of 208
    So how much will these pieces of crap cost? Considerably more than an iPad at a guess.

This has got fail written all over it.
  • Reply 37 of 208
    I understand that the whole "Intel tablet with a fan" is a temporary thing until the actual product releases, but since you are already showing an admittedly half as-... er, "alpha" version of the software, why don't go the full monty and give away prototype tablets with an actual (albeit not optimal) ARM CPU? Even if they don't perform as well as the (ultimately) shipping product, as a developer I would be more interested in testing Windows on the yet-uncharted ARM territory. Testing Win8 on an x86, any one can do with their current PCs (albeit without touch screen, I'll admit).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

So how much will these pieces of crap cost? Considerably more than an iPad at a guess.

This has got fail written all over it.

I don't think that matters; businesses will pay anything to get their Windows fix.
  • Reply 38 of 208
    I love the Metro UI scheme, I think that its a stroke of genius. My personal opinion, of course.

But Windows 8 is a very poor application of such a nice interface.

Nothing about W8 or the test hardware makes any sense to me.

Just watched the video with the sound muted (in the office) and I can spot issues a mile away. MS wont change the UI as well, we all know they wont.

-Start Button is now the trigger for the tablet Interface, why?

-Start Screen is not mouse friendly in the slightest. Why make it the new start "menu" then?

-Windows Desktop UI looks no more finger friendly than its predecessors.

-Panels you swipe from the left just ads more clutter

-Touch/Swipe application switcher is incredibly inefficient when a large number of applications are open

-(not in the video but previously mentioned) Explorer with the ribbon bar. Lets combat this clutter with /more buttons!/

On the hardware side of things, I know its only a test/dev unit, but its:

-too heavy

-too hot

-too noisy

-too big

Not really sure what market Samsung/MS have been shooting for, but what they have right now looks like a laptop after a car crash.
  • Reply 39 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

I downloaded the Windows 8 Developer Preview, since anyone can... and installed it in VMWare Fusion.... I find it truly and utterly horrid.

Oh I didn't know it was free to everyone. I'll have to give it a go tonight.
  • Reply 40 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Oh I didn't know it was free to everyone. I'll have to give it a go tonight.

I thought only registered devs could get it?