Evidence suggests Apple could bring iMessage support to iChat in OS X Lion

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gyorpb View Post

No.

Providers make a killing off of SMS. SMS's are sent in otherwise unused frames in the GSM network communication, meaning that they are sent anyway and are therefore effectively free for the providers to send. Whatever they charge you, is 100% profit.See above. Handling SMS messages doesn't cost your provider anything at all.

You may think you are being smart and getting a good deal, but your telecoms provider is always a bit smarter and is making a killing off of you.

.tsooJ

I fail to see how they make any real money when I didn't pay anything extra to get the 5000 texts b:

The only reason my bill is £30 a month is because of the Internet allowance. 3GB and Tethering. Internet is where they'll be making the money, and iMessage will use, you guessed it, the internet! An SMS is 140 characters long. So thats 140 bytes. If you use the full 140 in every message then all you need is 10 messages and you've hit 1.4KiB - 100 messages and you've went over 1MiB - I know people who easily hit 1000 messages easily in a week, and many contracts only have 500MB or 1GB of Internet at £25 a month. Seem rather cheap when I've got 3GB for £30. Along comes an internet based messenger on the most popular handset on the market and the Networks (at least the ones in the UK who don't charge, or charge very little extra for text message add ons) will rejoice at the mad prices you pay for Internet allowance.