Windows PC makers demonstrate Thunderbolt support for 2012 debut

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Agreed on all fronts. I want Thunderbird on my pc's and macs. I also want USB 3. Why wouldn't you?

My question to all you experts is this: I'm looking to get a mac for the home. If I get an iMac, will there be a time when I can upgrade my pc with thunderbolt (I assume I'll need a new mobo and video card) and have it output video to the iMac display, like the current lineup supposedly can do?

At 27", I don't want to have 2 monitors . . .

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Why are so many people hell bent on declaring that there must be one winner? Why can't we just have both?

Devices like the Sony Vaio Z and the Pegasus R4 clearly show functionality of Thunderbolt that USB3 simply can't do.

However putting an expensive Thunderbolt controller in something like a mouse, keyboard SD card reader or cheap flash drive is pointless.

Obviously the technologies overlap in some points (like a single external hard drive) but I see them largely as complimentary technologies.

• Reply 22 of 29
    Pleased as punch that I have an Air with Thunderbolt

In a few years I'll probably look around and marvel at how Thunderbolt has made my life easy.

Holy Grail 2013

Being able to plug your 11" ARM based MBA into an iMac and suddenly leverage all the port connectivity and processing power of the iMac via Grand Central Dispatch 3 and Open CL 2.x

It's the muthfunkin return of the Duo Dock people (I just totally revealed my age on that one)
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beastvince View Post

It makes Thunderbolt the perfect solution for a complete docking station, see the Apple Thunderbolt display with USB, Firewire, Ethernet, Sound, Video feed and Display in one cable.

Think even further, enter the Apple Cinema Pro display with built in fibre-channel & high end Graphics card with memory that extends your laptop's current video capability. The possibilities are so endless it's scary!!!
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Think even further, enter the Apple Cinema Pro display with built in fibre-channel & high end Graphics card

It's called an iMac.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's called an iMac.

Yeah, guess considering the price on the 2. Of course there is quite a big difference in managing a single OS install that you dock to a more powerful station vs 2 standalone OS installs.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Yeah, guess considering the price on the 2. Of course there is quite a big difference in managing a single OS install that you dock to a more powerful station vs 2 standalone OS installs.

iCloud closes that gap by a fair amount.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    thunderbolt is nice, but the announcements of USB 3.0 on a mac will be a greater please to me!
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by accessoriesguy View Post

thunderbolt is nice, but the announcements of USB 3.0 on a mac will be a greater please to me!

Why, when Thunderbolt already covers USB 3.0 and is a smaller port, allowing for more of them per computer than you could ever get of USB 3.0?
  • Reply 29 of 29
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBFromOZ View Post

Having used Firewire when it first came out, and loved it in my niche, I have been trialling Thunderbolt Pegasus R6 Raid on my desk to my macbook pro this week. In my report to management, I resorted to calling it "STUPENDOUSLY FAST" as "610MB/s write speeds" didn't seem to really convey how fricking awesome this box is. No matter how many other people use it, I am, and it will rock my world. I don't care if even one other person uses it ;-)

That sounds pretty awesome. I haven't seen one of those in action. On the Apple site they look pretty tightly packed. How are the drive temps? Does it support SMART data or give temperature readouts or just a dumb box? Are the fans locked in speed and if so how quiet or noisy does it run? I'm just wondering because it sounds pretty awesome. Damn you form making me want one

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why, when Thunderbolt already covers USB 3.0 and is a smaller port, allowing for more of them per computer than you could ever get of USB 3.0?

I've mentioned this before but it would have to be a lot cheaper to displace usb3. It would have to be at a level where Apple would actually begin shipping thunderbolt mice and keyboards, and integrate thunderbolt connections onto every IOS device. Furthermore you'd need enough ports. You can't just expect everyone to use a hub, and the thunderbolt display isn't really a solution to that considering the imac and laptops have their own displays already (and the mac pro can't even use it ).