NYT: Apple 'just weeks away' from announcing 'fairly different' iPhone 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is "just weeks away" from announcing a fifth-generation iPhone that will be fairly different from the iPhone 4, both on the inside and outside, according to a new report.

"We?re just weeks away from the announcement of the new Apple iPhone 5, according to an Apple employee who asked not to be named because he was not allowed to speak publicly for the company," Nick Bilton wrote in a report for The New York Times.

His sources within Apple also said case designs that recently surfaced online "seemed potentially authentic." The designs, which were quickly taken down, depicted a next-generation iPhone with curved sides, a flat back, and a mute switch moved to the right side of the handset.

According to an Apple engineer "familiar with the new iPhone," the company's next handset will be "fairly different" from the previous generation. The source also confirmed the widely-held belief that the device will sport an 8-megapixel camera and the faster A5 processor currently found in the iPad 2.

Bilton also reiterated his earlier report that cited "two people with knowledge of the inner workings of Apple?s next-generation iPhones" as saying either the fifth- or sixth-generation iPhone will include a near-field communication chip from Qualcomm, possibly to add mobile payment functionality.

Alleged iPhone 5 case designs from Case-Mate, via BGR.

Apple has expressed a keen interest in NFC technology in the past. On Thursday, AppleInsider uncovered a patent application that proposed using passive radio-frequency identification to transmit information about hardware failures. The company has also investigated more standard uses of NFC, such as e-wallet and tag reader functionality.

It should be noted that the "just weeks away" timeframe provided by the Times is hardly new. Numerous reports have suggested that the iPhone 5 will arrive by mid-October. Earlier this week, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of Concord Securities told AppleInsider that the golden master of iOS 5 is scheduled to be released to assemblers during the last week of September in preparation for release by the middle of October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    If the new iPhone doesn't have a larger screen, who would be disappointed?

I think I would -
  • Reply 2 of 70
    small iPad 2? I'll get it, since I only have a 3g ((
  • Reply 3 of 70
    recrec Posts: 217member
    The case design looks like it will be a mini-iPad 2. I don't think this is all that surprising. The iPad 2 represents Apple's current design thinking and aesthetic, and they've never had a faster selling or more popular device. It would stand to reason that everything in the product line would want to take on some amount of the iPad 2 look and feel.
  • Reply 4 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I think I would -

Me too. Same size case with a little more screen territory would be just fine.
  • Reply 5 of 70
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    These look Pretty damn similar to iPod touch 4th gen.
  • Reply 6 of 70
    Quote:

I think I would -

I would be. It isn't the larger screen I don't want, it's the larger phone. Unfortunately, the two are one in the same.
  • Reply 7 of 70
    Just after the launch of the iPhone 4 I wrote a blog about its drawbacks in a design sense here:

http://wp.me/p2LWx-4l

One of my criticisms - which I also sent as an Apple Feedback comment - was that it had lost the curves of the previous models, meaning it no longer felt good to the touch. The iPod touch of course looks and feels absolutely beautiful and does have curved sides and feels great in the hand.

Maybe Apple listened? Maybe the new iP5 when it comes out will have curvy edges and feel great in the hand as well as look good to the eye? I certainly hope so.
  • Reply 8 of 70
    I still have the 3GS and I was hoping the new iPhone would be physically like the iPhone 4 with maybe new processor and upgraded camera and a few other enhancements. I think the iPhone 4 is a design classic. I never took seriously the rumors of a couple of months ago about a new tapered, curved-back look with a larger screen. I thought it looks worse, and I can't get excited about another 0.3 inches or whatever on the screen diagonal. Anyway, we shall see in a few weeks. Being Apple, I'm sure I'll end up liking it.

What really amazes me is that Foxconn are said to me making 150,000 a day and Still no-one knows what it looks like. How do they keep such close control on all those factory people that not one phone has leaked out?
  • Reply 9 of 70
    I'm getting one, regardless, to replace my 3g. If it's super great, then I'll replace my wife's 3g also. Otherwise, I'll buy the iphone 6 next year, and give my wife the hand me down iphone 5.
  • Reply 10 of 70
    ***NEWS ALERT***

This just in: GeneralÃ*ssimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

Also just in: Apple will be releasing an iPhone 5.

• Reply 11 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DennyL View Post

What really amazes me is that Foxconn are said to me making 150,000 a day and Still no-one knows what it looks like. How do they keep such close control on all those factory people that not one phone has leaked out?

because they threaten their lives (and jobs).
  • Reply 12 of 70
    Quote:

I'd be ecstatic.

Quote:

When your workers live on-site and aren't allowed to leave, it's pretty darn easy to keep things under wraps.
  • Reply 13 of 70
    Quote:

I still have the 3GS and I was hoping the new iPhone would be physically like the iPhone 4 with maybe new processor and upgraded camera and a few other enhancements. I think the iPhone 4 is a design classic. I never took seriously the rumors of a couple of months ago about a new tapered, curved-back look with a larger screen. I thought it looks worse, and I can't get excited about another 0.3 inches or whatever on the screen diagonal. Anyway, we shall see in a few weeks. Being Apple, I'm sure I'll end up liking it.

I agree. The iPhone 4 is a design classic. If the iPhone 5 does not have a glass back and stainless steel sides, I will be disappointed. I will not be eligible to upgrade until next Feb anyway.
  • Reply 14 of 70
    Disinformation. The iPhone 4S will have faster processor, more memory. That is all.
  • Reply 15 of 70
    Quote:

I still have the 3GS....

They want to keep their job. That's why. Would you rather manufacture iPhone or knitting socks? (China have every factory you could imagine, often one city is associated with only one product so there you have it. iPhone or socks)
  • Reply 16 of 70
    Why not just saying "iPhone 7 announcement is just years away"? This even may be more accurate.
  • Reply 17 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

I would be. It isn't the larger screen I don't want, it's the larger phone. Unfortunately, the two are one in the same.

Incorrect. There's a lot of wasted screen real estate space on the current iPhone 4's form factor. They could make the screen slightly larger without increasing the phone size.
  • Reply 18 of 70
    Yea, Global Warming scam artist Al Gore probably wants NFC/RFID to enable carbon taxes payable to his company. Why Apple has this snake oil salesman on its board is beyond me.

NO NFC/RFID SPYCHIPS!
  • Reply 19 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Disinformation. The iPhone 4S will have faster processor, more memory. That is all.

Uhh... you're calling a rumor disinformation and then stating another rumor as fact? What the hell man?
  • Reply 20 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Yea, Global Warming scam artist Al Gore probably wants NFC/RFID to enable carbon taxes payable to his company. Why Apple has this snake oil salesman on its board is beyond me.

NO NFC/RFID SPYCHIPS!

Wow. Awesome parody of the tinfoil hat types. Almost thought you were serious for a second. Nice work!