Samsung planning legal offensive against Apple's unreleased iPhone 5

Comments

• Reply 81 of 154
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jack99 View Post

This pretty much, though I don't think Apple controls the majority any longer. That might explain their insecurity. A shrinking market share means they fear becoming sieged from all sides.

Apple has never controlled the "majority" of the smartphone market.

iPhone's market share is growing NOT "shrinking".

Ergo, nothing much to feel "insecure" about.

Apart from that, spot on.
  • Reply 82 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rasimo View Post

Here's a Galaxy S 2 ad that "slavishly" copies Apple's "Think Different" ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bu0I...e_gdata_player...

I like how Samsung's ads used to say "the best screen" and now they say "the most vivid screen" and they used to say, "the fastest phone" but now they say "our fastest phone."

Someone is being extra careful about what they say lately, and if nothing comes out of Apple's lawsuit but that, I still think it's a win.
  • Reply 83 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

The implied premise there is that the telecommunications functions require their patents. But such patents as become part of telcom standards are required to uphold FRAND principles. In this case, they can not withhold licensing them for Fair Reasonable and NonDiscriminatory fees.

In many cases (I believe), such fees are covered in the parts Apple buys.

So I do not see any real threat in these suits. Samsung is just blowing a lot of hot air.

I agree too, which is why Samsung is fighting this battle in Korea. I believe it is possible Samsung holds he Korean patents on nearly everything.

I know nothing about Korean law, but it is clear Samsung knows they only have a case at home.
  • Reply 84 of 154
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's so funny (to non-Americans I suppose), how the word "democrat" which refers to possibly the single most important political principle ever discovered and has been honoured and revered since the time of ancient Greece, has become an insult in late 20th century America.

Yeah, but funny in a kind of roll your eyes / shake your head / shrug (all at once), kind of way.

Not sure if you'd call democracy a 'discovery' ;-).
  • Reply 85 of 154
    deleted
  • Reply 86 of 154
    deleted
  • Reply 87 of 154
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Apple doesn't use any Samsung semi-conductors, except for the RAM and flash chips, which they could get from other sources (Elpida, Micron both make LPDDR2 and flash memory, for example). Samsung fabs the Apple SoC's, but it's almost a public secret that from the A6 onwards, TSMC will produce them (no reason why they couldn't do it, they basically have the exact same equipment as Samsung, I know this because I work for the supplier of said equipment). The radio IC's are from Infineon and Qualcomm. The screens Apple already gets from LG, Wintek and I think a third supplier. The battery is custom, don't know where they are produced but definitely not Samsung. The cameras are from OmniVision, for the iPhone 5 some people are speculating it will have a Sony cam. The gyroscope/accelerometer are from STMicro. The case is not made by Samsung, and the iPhones are assembled by Foxconn and Pegatron.

Did I miss any parts?

Dunno if you did or not. You're much smarter than I am about the hardware.

I'm going by other tech sites that say there's no way that Apple can completely avoid dealing with Samsung.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/08/sam...phone-4-parts/
  • Reply 88 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

And when they did, such as using Toshiba for MBA SSDs, Apple got such poor results that they later went exclusively with Samsung:

http://gigaom.com/apple/macbook-air-...d-state-drive/

Moreover, AppleInsider reports that Apple's contract with Samsung includes "about $7.8 billion worth of components from Samsung this year. The parts will reportedly be for Apple's mobile products, including the iPhone and iPad, and include liquid crystal displays, mobile application processors and NAND flash memory chips."

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...l_samsung.html

The question was not whether Apple will stop using any Samsung components, but if the could if it made business sense. My answer would be yes. The SSD example is a bit stupid since there are many, many SSD's that are not from Samsung, yet faster than what is in the MBA.

Apple is already reducing their dependence on Samsung as a supplier, even though the value of components they are buying from them is increasing (Apple sells more of about every product they make than ever before, remember?). The billion dollar investment Tim Cook talked about to 'secure long term component supplies' will most definitely not have gone to Samsung either. I expect Apple to move away from Samsung to suppliers that don't directly compete with them slowly, bit steadily.
  • Reply 89 of 154
    deleted
  • Reply 90 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You wouldn't mistake the phone for an iPhone but creatively speaking it Samsung definitely steps on Apple's toes. Its pretty shameless and clearly shows where Samsung gets their inspiration. I am not sure if Apple or Samsung benefits most from this kind of ad, however.

This is different and stands on its own feet, without impersonating Apple.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make, however, I didn't put it as eloquently as you did.
  • Reply 91 of 154
    It would be surprising if Apple does not run into problems with this continued fight. You can't take a step in the mobile space without stepping on someone's patent piss pool in some country. So Samsung has a point. But more shocking is the fact that Samsung is willing to escalate publicly. The loss of Apple as a customer is absolutely huge.
  • Reply 92 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

According to translate.google.com:

Why Europe's ppammatgo gaedeuripyiya in Korea - are you doing this? Why go to Europe, I'm calling the lawsuit in South Korea's skittish?

Well, Google isn't perfect either...

왜 유럽에서 빰맞고 한국에서 개드립이야- 뭐 하자는거야 이거? 유럽가서 소송걸어야지 왜 한국에서 까부는거야?

The above phrase can be translated as below:

Why make a fuss in Korea when you've been slapped in the face in Europe? What are you trying to do? Go sue in Europe, not in Korea!

So, he's apparently an Apple iPhone user/fan and dislikes iPhone being blocked in Korea. He's pissed at Samsung's tactics.
  • Reply 93 of 154
    deleted
  • Reply 94 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

왜 유럽에서 빰맞고 한국에서 개드립이야- 뭐 하자는거야 이거? 유럽가서 소송걸어야지 왜 한국에서 까부는거야?

The above phrase can be translated as below:

Why make a fuss in Korea when you've been slapped in the face in Europe? What are you trying to do? Go sue in Europe, not in Korea!

So, he's apparently an Apple iPhone user/fan and dislikes iPhone being blocked in Korea. He's pissed at Samsung's tactics.

I wonder how German Samsung fans feel
  • Reply 95 of 154
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Samsung would win any litigation that is held in South Korea. This would at least save Samsung "face" when they loose all impartial litigations.

That's quite a biased and borderline racist suggestion.

There's no guarantee Samsung would win in SK. I think they are just reaching for something to hit back against Apple.
  • Reply 96 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Not sure you know what race is. How is that racist at all?

He's just claiming domestic favoritism. It's the same scenario as if someone claimed that Apple would be protected from international litigation in the US. Would that make someone Americist?

Not sure how that can be classified as racist.
  • Reply 97 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Samsung would be quite happy to have Apple's other attacks turn out as favorably as the Dutch court ruled for the EU:

http://www.businessworld.in/business...tch-Court.html

Samsung would be happy to receive a court order banning the sale of their phones in several European countries by October 13th?

Did you read the article or just the misleading headline?
  • Reply 98 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

There's no guarantee Samsung would win in SK. I think they are just reaching for something to hit back against Apple.

There is no guarantee, but his comment was in no way racist..
  • Reply 99 of 154
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 100 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung has already planned out an aggressive legal strategy to block sales of Apple's unannounced iPhone 5 when it arrives in Korea, a new report claims.

Insiders at the South Korean electronics giant indicated to the Korea Times that the company plans to immediately take its legal battle to the next generation of products when Apple attempts to release the iPhone 5 in Korea.

"Just after the arrival of the iPhone 5 here, Samsung plans to take Apple to court here for its violation of Samsung?s wireless technology related patents," said an anonymous Samsung senior executive.

"For as long as Apple does not drop mobile telecommunications functions, it would be impossible for it to sell its i-branded products without using our patents. We will stick to a strong stance against Apple during the lingering legal fights," he added.

Another executive with the company highlighted alternative strategies that its legal team has planned. "We are taking different tactics since we are quite confident," he said. "If Samsung wins in Germany that will give us a big breakthrough and so will other envisioned efforts against such products as the iPhone 5."

In June, a U.S. judge denied a request by Samsung to see Apple's next-generation iPhone. The company had filed the motion as a counter to Apple's request to see unreleased products by Samsung. Apple had, however, restricted its request to already-announced products, while Samsung was asking to see devices that Apple has yet to announce.

Samsung officials also told the publication that Apple's fifth-generation iPhone would add near-field communication (NFC) technology to introduce e-wallet functionality. Apple itself has given no indication that it will add NFC capability to the next iPhone, though rumors have swirled about the feature, with one recent report claiming that it will arrive either on the fifth or sixth generation of the handset.

Employees of the company, which doubles as a rival and supplier to Apple, have leaked information regarding upcoming Apple products in the past. Last week, a former Samsung manager admitted to leaking information on the unreleased iPad while working for the company in 2009.

The patent war between Apple and Samsung has quickly escalated since the iPhone maker fired the first shot in April. At least 23 lawsuits are pending between the two companies across a number of countries. Apple has seen a few early victories against Samsung, including a permanent ban preventing its rival from selling the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet in Germany.

If they have filed any paper work based upon any prior knowledge given the parts they were building, they will have voided their non disclosure agreement. Samsung can not start any process prior to the actual release of the product, or they would be using NDA information to base their suit on, if this is true, then the suit will be null and void, as they used information that their legal department could not have their hands on legally until the actual launch of the product. IN a word, they BLEW it! Good!