Qantas Airlines to test iPad 2 as in-flight entertainment solution

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Yay! Even more germs being spread around like crazy!
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

Uh, you've always been forced to turn off all devices that receive or transmit signals as a precaution to not interfere with the flight equipment while climbing or landing.

Also, the last thing a flight attendant needs is someone texting while they are giving out directions during an emergency.

I am certain the airline will have a proprietary system that is cleared by their engineers before deploying this system.

But you can continue to gripe just so you can play Angry Birds?

Grow up.

"Grow up" - how mature. Perhaps you should "grow up" and start questioning 'authority'. First, there's zero evidence of phone interference with plane systems. For example, even if only 1/100% of 1% of planes have someone on board who either accidentally or deliberately didn't turn off their phone - and I've seen instances of this myself, and I don't fly that often - then that means each day there are 1000s of planes flying, incident-free, with active phones on board.

Second, the original poster's point was that phones currently have to be off *all the time*, not just during takeoff and landing as you try to rebut. And yet now suddenly it's OK to have an active wi-fi on board during flight. I.e., even if the wi-fi is off during takeoff and landing, its presence puts paid to the notion that in-flight wireless signals wreak havoc with a plane's systems.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

Other than advertising that they are providing their passengers with an iPad 2, if the iPad 2 is just going to be locked down to only stream movies, I'm unclear what the major advantage this provides over existing built-in seat touchscreen LCDs. Unless they consider giving passengers the option of holding the iPad for hours while watching a movie or having to worry about recharging it an advantage.

I'd much rather have a large(-ish) screen that I can hold at any angle than sit in an awkward position staring at a 4" or 5" monitor in the back of the seat in front of me (which may, at any time, be reclined back into my lap by the person in front of me).
  • Reply 24 of 27
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I'm wondering if this is cheaper and simpler to manage than the installation of the Thales/Panasonic Android IFE that Boeing is offering on the 787.

Either way, both are better solutions than what's there today.

Curious to see what apps would come pre-loaded.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Yay! Even more germs being spread around like crazy!

I'm sure they'll be sanitized before being passed out.

I'm curious to see how the airline will handle losses (iPads that get flung around and damaged).
  • Reply 26 of 27
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

"Grow up" - how mature. Perhaps you should "grow up" and start questioning 'authority'. First, there's zero evidence of phone interference with plane systems. For example, even if only 1/100% of 1% of planes have someone on board who either accidentally or deliberately didn't turn off their phone - and I've seen instances of this myself, and I don't fly that often - then that means each day there are 1000s of planes flying, incident-free, with active phones on board.

So you know more about the reasons for the ban than the FAA? Amazing.

I suspect that the ban is because the FAA doesn't want people distracted or oblivious during takeoff and landing. For example, flight attendants are supposed to make sure that any items on the floor are completely under the seat in front of you for takeoff and landing so they can't interfere with rapid egress in an emergency.

If there is an emergency, escape time is measured in seconds. Having people wrapped up in their own little world could be extremely dangerous to them - AND to the people around them.

Regardless, it's not just a recommendation. It's the law.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Second, the original poster's point was that phones currently have to be off *all the time*, not just during takeoff and landing as you try to rebut. And yet now suddenly it's OK to have an active wi-fi on board during flight. I.e., even if the wi-fi is off during takeoff and landing, its presence puts paid to the notion that in-flight wireless signals wreak havoc with a plane's systems.

The problem is that neither you nor the other poster have any idea what you're talking about. As I pointed out above, after you reach a cruising altitude, you are allowed to use your cell phone if it's in airline mode (cellular access off, but WiFi can be on). WiFi has been allowed on planes during flight for years. So the iPad is nothing new in that regard.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So you know more about the reasons for the ban than the FAA? Amazing.

[...]

Regardless, it's not just a recommendation. It's the law.

I never said *I* don't turn off my phone. In fact, I hate self-absorbed and/or self-righteous people who think they're above the rules. My point was simply that regardless of the rule and regardless of 99.99% of us abiding by it ... every day 1000s of flights are successfully taking off and landing with at least one active phone on board. I was merely addressing technological interference claims, not passenger attention spans.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The problem is that neither you nor the other poster have any idea what you're talking about. As I pointed out above, after you reach a cruising altitude, you are allowed to use your cell phone if it's in airline mode (cellular access off, but WiFi can be on). WiFi has been allowed on planes during flight for years. So the iPad is nothing new in that regard.

See above, same response applies in toto. Oh, and I appreciate how you assume I'm completely clueless and uninformed. Right back atcha.