Apple continues 'unstoppable' winning streak in customer satisfaction

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Had a client with an overheating iMac, out of warranty. Walked into an Apple store, they checked it out, brought a new one up from the back, transferred all settings and files, sent me on my way. Under an hour.

Not a big corporate client, just a random dude with an iMac. Think you're ever going to get that at Best Buy? They'll offer you a deal on a new computer that's "much better" and "goes to 11."

Really, Apple and everyone else are playing completely different games. PC apologists are left grasping at straws, now that it's starting to pay off and they can't dismiss Apple as some kind of boutique operation catering to snobs.
  • Reply 22 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Just curious - is that an isolated example, or have you had other similar experiences with Apple?

Good question. It is not an isolated example. I have several experiences of this kind. It mostly seems to revolve around parts. You simply can't get replacement parts out of Apple at any price.

On the other hand, when I've needed repairs under warranty, they have come through with flying colors. I had a Mac mini with a bad CD drive. It was still under warranty and they replaced it right away with no hassle. Another good experience was when Apple replaced my original iPhone due to a mfg defect in the touch screen. It was out of warranty and they took care of it anyway.

So Apple service is great in some respects, but their warranty period is short and they are usually difficult once the warranty period is up, and they are never, ever, any good whatsoever, when it comes to replacement parts.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

So Apple service is great in some respects, but their warranty period is short and they are usually difficult once the warranty period is up, and they are never, ever, any good whatsoever, when it comes to replacement parts.

I've never had a use for this, but if somebody wants a longer warranty, then they could always get Applecare. 3 years of support is plenty.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    Quote:

Good question. It is not an isolated example. I have several experiences of this kind. It mostly seems to revolve around parts. You simply can't get replacement parts out of Apple at any price.

On the other hand, when I've needed repairs under warranty, they have come through with flying colors. I had a Mac mini with a bad CD drive. It was still under warranty and they replaced it right away with no hassle. Another good experience was when Apple replaced my original iPhone due to a mfg defect in the touch screen. It was out of warranty and they took care of it anyway.

I would guess that, like most things, Apple designs its systems to benefit the many at the expense of the few. People who order their own parts to do their own repairs must be a vanishingly slight percentage of their customers (indeed, their designs are increasingly non-user serviceable), so while irritating for the knowledgeable it doesn't really have any bearing on their business.
  • Reply 25 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Dropped my iPad a week ago on the sidewalk. Completely my fault. Walked into an Apple Store, told them the truth, and they gave me a new one.

My well out of warranty three year old laptop's battery started to expand this summer and they gave me a new one without a second thought

Apple really does have the only customer service that is easy to deal with
  • Reply 26 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I would guess that, like most things, Apple designs its systems to benefit the many at the expense of the few. People who order their own parts to do their own repairs must be a vanishingly slight percentage of their customers (indeed, their designs are increasingly non-user serviceable), so while irritating for the knowledgeable it doesn't really have any bearing on their business.

I think you are right, but it frustrates the hell out of us who do our own servicing.
  • Reply 27 of 68
    I recently bought a Dell printer real cheap.

I called to see if it was Lion compatible.

The offshore agent asked what Dell computer I had it attached to.

I explained it was a Mac running Lion.

The agent in a heavy accent asked again what model Dell it was attached to.

I tried to find Dell’s corporate phone number to complain.

A half hour search turned up nothing.

I wrote Michael Dell complaining.

I got a call from another offshore agent offering to help me.

Again the agent wanted to know what Dell computer I was using.

I explained that Lion ran on Macs and not Dells.

The agent took my phone number and said they would refer this to another department.

I got a call from an English speaking native who had the answer.

In short: Offshore support = No support.

If you buy a Dell good luck getting meaningful support.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Apple recently let us keep the wireless keyboard and mouse that came with a recent iMac purchase when I told them that we had accidentally ordered the stock configuration instead of one with the wired keyboard and trackpad. They sent out keyboard and trackpad free of charge. Of course it took a little effort, but they took care of us.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    A year or so ago, I had a last generation G5 Mac Pro with what I suspected was just a dead power supply. I thought, $250 or so for a new power supply and I'll have a reasonably powerful backup device. No warranty on hand, so I was prepared to pay cash to bring this machine back to life. So, off to the Genius bar. They triaged the Mac Pro and accepted the repair. A week later someone called from Apple saying that they were not going to repair my 'legacy' machine. Before I could get a word in edge-wise, the Apple representative explained that they were just going to replace the machine with a new one. What? That's right; later that day I walked into my local Apple store and took possession of a brand new, in a unopened box, Nehalem Mac Pro. Say what you will about Apple and/or their support, but it's on par with no other computer company out there.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Ha!

First, they only have it if you pay extra for it. Second, I've gained more business from clients who had that 'extremely competent' contractor leave their computer in a total shambles.

Your first statement is factually incorrect. Your second statement is a sales pitch intended to gain customers.
  • Reply 31 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 'Apple

[;1945781'Who says somebody has to buy a computer from an Apple store?

So far, nobody.

HTH.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

I think you are right, but it frustrates the hell out of us who do our own servicing.

No doubt. Just out of curiosity, what machines are you able to do servicing on at this point?
  • Reply 33 of 68
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Apple is doing well indeed. I know they could do better with customer satisfaction however. Why not put forth the small effort and push this rating over 90? Sometimes Apple is a real PITA when it comes to parts, repairs or replacements, and phone support duration is insufficient.

Someone is kidding himself. "Small effort" to increase approval rating from 87 to over 90? That would require a Herculean effort.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has once again topped the American Customer Satisfaction Index for PC makers, making it eight years in a row that consumers have been most satisfied with the Mac maker.

Apple's score in 2011 was up 1 percent to 87, placing the company a comfortable 9 points ahead of its nearest competitor. The average score in the personal computer business was tracked at 78 points on the 0-to-100 scale.

The ACSI said that Apple's dominance in computer satisfaction appears to be "unstoppable," as competing PC makers topped out in 2011 with scores in the 70s. HP was the best of the lot with a score of 78, while Dell and Acer sat at 77.

Someone needs to learn some math skills. If HP was the best of the lot at 78, how could the average be 78 - unless everyone else was also 78? Since Dell and Acer were lower, the average couldn't be 78.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Dell has one year of in-home service. They send extremely competent people right to your house. Does Apple do that?

What if you live near a Best Buy and far from an Apple Store?

So Dell's customer service must be REALLY atrocious if they offer one year of in-home service - and Apple still creamed them on customer service ratings.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    Quote:

Had a client with an overheating iMac, out of warranty. Walked into an Apple store, they checked it out, brought a new one up from the back, transferred all settings and files, sent me on my way. Under an hour.

Not a big corporate client, just a random dude with an iMac. Think you're ever going to get that at Best Buy? They'll offer you a deal on a new computer that's "much better" and "goes to 11."

I really hope to get this kind of service if/when my 3.5 year old Mac Pro has another issue. I've already had a few issues covered under warranty, and one of them was honestly a PITA. Be more than sweet if the next issue I have I get to leave the store with a shiny new Mac Pro. Obviously I'm not expecting this. My expectation is to leave the store with a shiny new iMac, and a much thinner wallet.
  • Reply 35 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I've never had a use for this, but if somebody wants a longer warranty, then they could always get Applecare. 3 years of support is plenty.

That is true, and for some products (anything portable?) the extended warranty is probably a good idea. Since Apple's products are higher quality compared to others, it's unfortunate they're not willing to extend what has become the industry standard warranty of ~3 years to back up the superior build quality...

Of course if they did that, it would be harder to push extended warranties on customers. Apple Store "attach" rates would fall and result in a small decline in profits at retail. (Extended warranties can be big money makers for companies, generating 'free' money - it's a gamble really, but the game is stacked in favor of the house).
  • Reply 36 of 68
    Quote:

I see your point there, but the need for parts isn't rare, especially in business. Companies have their own IT departments, and don't have time to waste trying to run a product through a warranty repair for simple issues. It's quicker, easier, and overall less expensive to just replace some parts in-house.

Sometimes it has nothing to do with a repair at all. For example, hard drive mounting screws. These are unique to each manufacturer (cause most are shock absorbing mounts now), and additional screws are easy to get from everyone except Apple.

I do think that there are fewer people who do any repairs on computers, but the few that do so, are not that few in number. There are millions upon millions of Macs in the installed base, and most are now out of warranty. Someone has to maintain these machines, especially in business.

I also think that non-user serviceable designs are a shame. It's not a good direction to go. Obviously there is not much that can be fixed in an iDevice, but there is no good reason whatsoever to solder RAM on the motherboard of a MacBook Air (the reason I refuse to buy one - despite the thousands of other people who are buying them).
  • Reply 37 of 68
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Someone needs to learn some math skills. If HP was the best of the lot at 78, how could the average be 78 - unless everyone else was also 78? Since Dell and Acer were lower, the average couldn't be 78.

Apple's score of 87 is a part of "the personal computer business" as well, thus helping to "raise" the average to 78.
  • Reply 38 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Who the fuck wants a Dell?

I think that concludes this discussion quite succinctly.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    I just wished the Genius Bar employees were more knowledgeable about their own products and services. From my experience, anything outside of basic troubleshooting steps stump them.

I love that my 2009 MacBook Pro has an issue charbroiling power cables and their response is just to give me a new cable -- or a discount on a cable. That's nice, but how about actually fixing the problem? I'll upgrade my MacBook Pro next year anyways, but the issue is annoying as well when the laptop can no longer charge and I have to fight with the Apple Store employees to replace the cable yet again.

I purchased the MacBook Pro a week after Mac OS X Snow Leopard was released; however, the box only included Mac OS X Leopard. I returned to the store the next day and they had the attitude of "how come you didn't return to the store immediately?" Umm... because I purchased the Mac during the evening and I didn't open the box as soon as I walked out of the store. I ate dinner with family, did some shopping and then went home. They had the attitude like I was trying to scam for a free disc. After a week of arguing with them, they admitted they sold me an opened box MacBook Pro for full price and the previous owner returned the Mac the exact same day I purchased it so they probably didn't verify all the contents were there. Hell, if I knew it was used, I wouldn't have bought it.

A few years ago, I had an iMac whose Mac partition would get hosed from trying to install any Microsoft Windows or Linux flavor via Bootcamp. Their response was just to talk to Microsoft about the issue. Umm... okay. The exact same Microsoft Windows discs work fine now with later revisions of Bootcamp.

From personal experience:

- Dell customer support is atrocious. They deliberately dicked me around about a dead laptop until the warranty expired and then played the "it's outside the warranty" card. I'll never buy from Dell again.

- Asus has gone to extreme measures to keep me happy. I had a Blu-ray Burner that was not properly reading dics, so they sent me a new one and told me to keep the old one.

- Apple been in the middle for me. It's nice talking to real human, but their tech support knowledge seems limited.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Apparently the Apple fanbois really dislike Apple.

Think about it. Apple's growth has largely been from the non-fanboi section of the populace. However, as Apple has grown, its customer ratings has increased, indicating that the new Apple customers actually like Apple MORE on average, than the existing customers.

IOW, despite all the rubbish apple "fanbois" get from online trolls, they are more critical of Apple than the regular populace (which is not so surprising, when you think about the fact that the regular populace used to find Windows satisfactory).

Good try, but not correct logic. You can't say the fanbois rating has not increased over time. This logic doesn't account for improved Apple Cust. Service.