HP may oust CEO after less than a year on the job

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Sorry a** excuse for a company. Their calculators are spotting the same UI from 20 years ago buy carry a cheaper effing case. Their pcs are nothing but MS' stuff and they failed with their tired a** touch pad. Ha ha! HP Can go straight to hell.

Whoa! Foul. BACK. THE. FRAK. OFF.

The modern HP calculator is actually a POOR reproduction of the original HP calcs. Those RPN calculators were works of art.

The RPN calcs "UI" was and still is an extremely efficient method of data input compared to an algegraic input. You don't have a clue what you are talking about. For the record that "UI" is older than 20 years old. The "UI" they produced 20 years ago was RPL. WTF? Worst. Idea. Ever.

HP ran their fantastic calculator line into the ground.
  • Reply 22 of 50
  • Reply 23 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Maybe Steve Jobs wil be the new CEO of HP?

This has to be the real reason why Steve left Apple

Seriously though, there is this guy working over at HP named Jon Rubenstein. He understands technology better than probably anyone else there. He also understands HP's biggest competitor better than anyone else there.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

This IS CYAing. These are the moves the board WANTED HP to make. Why else do you think they hired the CEO of SAP (a consulting firm) to run HP? They wanted Apotheker to mold HP after IBM, which exit its HW business in favor of going largely consulting.

But now that the markets are panicking, he is the fall guy.

Yep, first they fired Hurd - who seemingly did have a vision of building HP into the other choice for a fully integrated vertical stack for mobile devices with the webOS purchase - over a dalliance with a consultant. He may have cut R&D too much (the accusation thrown around, no idea if that's the case), but...

Then there's no way they brought in Apotheker without having asked some basic questions like "Where do you want to take this company if hired?". Like they didn't know he was planning this? Like he didn't run it by them first??? The idiots on the board should fire themselves while they're at it, because they can't make wise decisions themselves. Maybe Apotheker can join Netflix and take over the new Quicken DVD division.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Have they considered getting in to 3D printers/prototypers? As text goes purely digital, it would seem the logical next step for the printer.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

HP and Yahoo have the worst BOARD EVER!

I think RIMM and MSFT are right up there too....
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

Are you kidding me? She's an idiot. A nasty idiot. She makes Carly Failorina look like Steve Jobs.

Witless rode eBay (a good idea, which naturally she didn't originate) thru the dot com bubble. Once the bubble burst, eBay went pretty much nowhere for a decade under Witless and her successor. The only good decision she made during her tenure was to purchase PayPal, which I believe is where eBay makes most of its money now. That was a no-brainer which everybody in the industry suggested eBay do - I give her zero credit for doing the obvious.

Whitman's attempt to turn eBay into a "me-too" cut-rate Amazon clone has failed miserably, and her lame management seriously eroded eBay's core auction business, destroying the company's goodwill with its customers.

I guess by hiring Whitman, HP's incompetent board wants to finish the job they started. And by that I mean they want to ensure they destroy HP entirely.

Agree with you 100%. Meg and Carly are the 2 worst CEO's of all time. And, I am all for giving women equal opportunity.

Meg paid herself a huge fortune in stock options for basically ruining the company.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

Maybe Apotheker can join Netflix and take over the new Quicken DVD division.

I think you are confusing Quicken with Quixtar.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Have they considered getting in to 3D printers/prototypers? As text goes purely digital, it would seem the logical next step for the printer.

Uh, No.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Agree with you 100%. Meg and Carly are the 2 worst CEO's of all time. And, I am all for giving women equal opportunity.

Meg paid herself a huge fortune in stock options for basically ruining the company.

Carol Bartz has some free time on her hands.

Oh, and she has a f*¢#!%g iPad.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

They couldn't have done this before he killed WebOS?

They should've keep Hurd.

BTW, didn't SAP dump Leo because he was running them into the ground too?

webOS is an odd duck - pretty and unique, but still has some of the same issues that has been plaguing it since 2009, with the HW the Touchpad has for example, it really should fly, without any sort of lag or hesitation.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    How is this Apple related news?
  • Reply 33 of 50
    No one ever paid me a dime for doing a crappy job. Something is seriously wrong with the way business in done in America.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

No one ever paid me a dime for doing a crappy job. Something is seriously wrong with the way business in done in America.

You don't have buddies in high places.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Carol Bartz has some free time on her hands.

Oh, and she has a f*¢#!%g iPad.

Hahahaha! That's classic!
  • Reply 36 of 50
    I would too! I mean WTF!!! WebOS has so much potential. Even if it isn't number 1, it will still be competition so that nobody gets lazy.

I hate HP for buying Palm then basically saying nevermind. It blows. Their tablet is actually not all that bad. The hardware isn't the greatest, and the software needed a bit more optimization, but for crying out loud, it felt like they didn't give it a real chance, or invested too much and basically over spent on it and ruined it that way.

OH WELL.

Also, lol@ non apple related news. AI just doesn't care what the posters here are telling them.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Super confused. The guy made two de decisions that will determine the future of hp for many years to come. Killing webos and killing the pc market. So why the hell would anyone want to come in after major decision have already been made, unless there is a big stock growth anticipated from the decisions that the new CEO can capitalize on without having to make any divisions.

I guess they can still backpedal on the PC decision, since they haven't had a Crazy Eddie sale on those.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Seriously though, there is this guy working over at HP named Jon Rubenstein. He understands technology better than probably anyone else there. He also understands HP's biggest competitor better than anyone else there.

But he's never used an iPhone.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

Come on over! We hand you your severance package agreement when you get off the plane...
  • Reply 39 of 50
    HP have lost the plot.

The best thing they said several months ago was how they intended to bring WebOS to their notebook and PC range. That to me was inspired. A nice easy OS (that's not Windows and so you have control over it yourself), on your own PC range (think total control ala iPhone and iOS), with proper functionality between tablet and PC, and they were onto a winner.

Then the CEO dispatches WebOS and the PC divisions! What a moron! Yes HP may have very little margin in these areas, but they still have some margin! You don't just hand that to everyone else in the market!

Nutcase. Surprised it took 11 months to get rid of him.

As for the loon they are about to employ - I despair for the HP board. They need to get someone in with a vision and half an ounce of understanding of the market and their customers.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    HP must be a prime target for a takeover with the stock price down 40%.