Apple board member Al Gore mentions 'new iPhones' coming in October

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    That said... Other than speculating about what it means, why would anyone outside of Apple care that Al may have "spilled the beans"???
  • Reply 22 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alphadog7 View Post

Did he say he invented them too?

Good one.

By the way, thanks Al, for single handedly stopping the sales of the current iPhone 4. Yes, I know...many already heard of this rumor. However, sales were still strong. Now that it is no longer a rumor, people will wait.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

By the way, thanks Al, for single handedly stopping the sales of the current iPhone 4. Yes, I know...many already heard of this rumor. However, sales were still strong. Now that it is no longer a rumor, people will wait.

I don't see how AI will have any negative effect on iPhone sales around the world.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Did he really add "That was a plug"????

If so, that is a complete abuse of power. Why would someone do that, unless they wanted to show people how really ignorant they are.

Knowledge is power, but without wisdom, you're left with abuse of power, and stupidity.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Isn't it a bit disingenuous to give Al Gore and Apple grief over a leak about new phones - on a site dedicated to disseminating apple leaks?
  • Reply 26 of 44
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 27 of 44
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Remove Al Gore from the board for revealing company secrets. As a board member it is his duty to keep quiet until products are released.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't see how AI will have any negative effect on iPhone sales around the world.

Maybe a little unless Apple has already discontinued producing them and the inventory is dwindling quickly. On the other hand we don't know if the iPhone 4 is going to continue on as the low priced alternative and the 3Gs will be discontinued. We will probably see in a couple weeks. But even that is an unknown.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    I guess I have to wait for this to get moved to PO before I can comment further.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Hey, I have to agree with you here.

The company wants to slack the demand for the iP4.

Reinstate my Ireland T-shirt order.

October 4 is 13 days away. Edit: you were not being sarcastic, lol.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    It all depends on what the meaning of the word "iPhones" is?

iPhones as plural to mean multiple models.

OR

all the millions of iPhones that will be made, sold, and crush the hell out of all other phones.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Politics is off topic to this thread because the story had nothing to do with politics. Even if the man is a former politician, this story had nothing to do with his politics. It's not that fine of a distinction. Political posts have been moved to Political Outsider.

If you want to continue that discussion, go here: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=132609
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Politics is off topic to this thread because the story had nothing to do with politics. Even if the man is a former politician, this story had nothing to do with his politics. It's not that fine of a distinction. Political posts have been moved to Political Outsider.

I agree, and thanks for saving me from myself. But you should remove cajun's post #5 which started it all, and not just the responses to it.

Thanks for keeping watch.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Whew, that's a relief. Until now I was worried that Apple would make only one iPhone 5 and we'd all have to share.

good one
  • Reply 35 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I agree, and thanks for saving me from myself. But you should remove cajun's post #5 which started it all, and not just the responses to it.

Thanks for keeping watch.

Fixed, thanks.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dullblade View Post

Did he really add "That was a plug"????

If so, that is a complete abuse of power. Why would someone do that, unless they wanted to show people how really ignorant they are.

Knowledge is power, but without wisdom, you're left with abuse of power, and stupidity.

For goddess's sake, it was an eff-ing joke. Are you that disconnected from social interaction that you can't get that it was an effort an a humorous remark?
  • Reply 37 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple board member and former U.S. vice president Al Gore has gained attention and stirred up speculation for mentioning Apple will release new "iPhones" -- plural -- next month.

I'm just as excited as anyone about upcoming iOS devices, the iPhone "4s" (or whatever it's called), iPhone 5 and the next generation iPad (I would stand in line for one if there was an Apple Store in my state — not that Apple SHOULD put one in my state; I don't think they should), but lest we not forget iOS 5 in all of this.

If the iPhone and iPad are knocking the "competition" out cold, then iOS 5 will be an absolute death blow! ("FINISH HIM!" to anyone familiar with Mortal Kombat.)

Even with the iOS devices we own now (those of us who do, and are iOS 5-capable), iOS 5 will be like getting a whole new iPhone, or iPad or iPod touch — say, an iPhone 4.5 or an iPad 2.5. (Maybe 2.7.5.)

The upcoming new iPhones (and possibly a new iPod touch) and an iPad ”3” coming early next year, combined with iOS 5 will be absolutely lethal (not to us, the "competition,” such as it is).

While we're all caught up in the innovative new 200+ "user-visible" changes, don't forget that in addition to improvements to (and in some cases veritable overhauls) to the underlying, invisible APIs (as just two examples: improvements and efficiencies to Core Animation and 48+ new filters to Core Image), there are 1,600+ NEW APIs that will be included in iOS 5!

In sort of a "Zero new features Snow Leopard" manner," much iOS code optimization (especially better use of GCD), sandboxing, stability, responsiveness and security improvements have gone on, plus a lot of "cruft": library programming commands or "calls," that were inefficient or could be greatly improved, have been deprecated or improved (but won't break compatibility) in iOS 5.

Some of Apple's underlying technology improvements to iOS 5 will actually improve data connection (e.g. high-speed Internet, 802.11). Of course it won't increase actual transmission speeds (that's out of Apple's hands), but it will improve the speed with which the iOS 5 device handles wired and wireless connection data. To the user this under-the-radar software technology will seem like your ISP has upped its speed, or Wi-Fi connections are faster and less location "fussy." Improved streaming may be one of the most important.

This all is important to the user not just because user-visible changes in iOS 5 will VASTLY improve your experience immediately, but because of what it portends for the future of iOS apps.

Throw a GPS component or an accelerometer or a digital compass or camera into a device with an awesome OS and SDK, unleash it on developers and watch the magic!

You end up with things like this, this, or this !

Dump awesome new APIs and software and hardware capabilities into the collective lap of iOS developers, unfold your lawn chair and sit and watch the fireworks!

You don't have to be a geek or iOS developer to appreciate this.

We won't fully appreciate iOS 5 for a while as developers harness its new technologies and produce apps that are even more astonishing than the already-astonishing apps that exist now.

With the U.S. and world economies on our minds, the depressing geopolitical situation of the planet, and just interminable bad news overall, might I suggest we look for optimism in a future with iOS 5 apps that will BLOW OUR MINDS!?! (Assuming it hasn't already been blown!)

ANDROID WE'RE COMING FOR YOU!

P.S. I overlooked a tiny detail in all of this: iCloud.

• Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Magic 8 Ball says there's a change coming to the BoD....

The SEC probably isn't impressed either. Poor Steve, another betrayal by his own board member.

"Isn't it funny, a ship that leaks from the top?"
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Good one.

nah...people are impatient. My friend recently bought an iPhone 4 (maybe a month and a half ago but still) knowing full well the iPhone5 was around the corner.

Patience is non existent for the most part. It's how our economy runs.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beeman60 View Post

Isn't it a bit disingenuous to give Al Gore and Apple grief over a leak about new phones - on a site dedicated to disseminating apple leaks?

I'm guessing that most of us here aren't board members or actual "Apple insiders."