Employee owned iPhone, iPad an "unstoppable train" in the enterprise

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Maybe. Apple is allergic to business and enterprise markets, but I hope Cook changes this.

I hope Cook doesn't change this and I'm convinced he won't.

Business and enterprise markets are the graveyard of user experience.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because your eyes are closed?

What kind of e-mail does your company use that the iPhone doesn't support?

Currently, most Government agencies have hardened BlackBerrys on Exchange servers as their only option. He may be referring to that.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Currently, most Government agencies have hardened BlackBerrys on Exchange servers as their only option. He may be referring to that.

Do BlackBerrys afford special security to Exchange servers that iOS doesn't yet?

Because if that's the case, I can completely understand his point now.

Sorry, I don't know anything about Exchange other than "it was really anticipated on the iPhone for business use" and "Now that we have it, we should see business flocking to the iPhone because of its Exchange support".
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:

Do BlackBerrys afford special security to Exchange servers that iOS doesn't yet?

Sorry, I don't know anything about Exchange other than "it was really anticipated on the iPhone for business use" and "Now that we have it, we should see business flocking to the iPhone because of its Exchange support".

No, I'm not aware that there is any advantage other than the hardening at device level, and in fact they are currently testing iPhones (and perhaps other devices) to get certified, but things move very slowly in this area.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

What was "mentioned" were consumer technologies. But the mere mention does not justify the transposition...Heck. Why am I arguing about this?

Believe that a mention in a different context makes the headline "more accurate", and that accuracy is a sliding scale, or whatever you wish.

And yet the article explicitly said that iOS devices are the major benefiters with this therefore I fail to see why you think the title doesn't seem fitting.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

I know a number of people who still carry a Blackberry and an iPhone.

My company does not allow me to access my email from my iPhone, nor any internal web sites. I would love to see that change, but I do not see that ever happening.

So, apparently, the "unstoppable train" does not have a station here

I did a stint in the IT department in New Zealand parliament last year and a number of politicians including the Prime Minister got themselves iPads and wanted me to set their e-mail access up for them but the policy set by Parliamentary Services said they weren't allowed to.

Prime Minister holds rank I feel. I set him up for e-mail access in less than a minute.

Meanwhile the BlackBerry phones were taking hours to setup because they wouldn't get the details from the server properly.

Screw corporate policy. There is always someone who will let you know how to get around the red tape.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

I did a stint in the IT department in New Zealand parliament last year and a number of politicians including the Prime Minister got themselves iPads and wanted me to set their e-mail access up for them but the policy set by Parliamentary Services said they weren't allowed to.

Prime Minister holds rank I feel. I set him up for e-mail access in less than a minute.

Meanwhile the BlackBerry phones were taking hours to setup because they wouldn't get the details from the server properly.

Screw corporate policy. There is always someone who will let you know how to get around the red tape.

I agree - that's fine if it is just red tape stopping you. In at least some cases, it's a lot more than that.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bernard SG View Post

I hope Cook doesn't change this and I'm convinced he won't.

Business and enterprise markets are the graveyard of user experience.

Then Mac users better not complain when they can't have Macs at work. You can't have it both ways-- defending Apple's lack of interest or support for Macs in enterprises, while at the same time criticizing IT departments for denying Macs to people.

In fact, shouldn't Mac users be praising IT departments for forbidding Macs in their companies? After all, those IT departments are simply upholding Apple's ideals of anti-enteprise.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Because your eyes are closed…

What kind of e-mail does your company use that the iPhone doesn't support?

I think you underestimate the control freakery of corporate IT

Blackberry is also a fully end to end encrypted service which matters to a number of organisations
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

iPhone and iPad halo in the huzzie. Next will be tens of thousands of MacBook Airs being brought in by employees. By the time Windows 8 gets to consumers and the enterprise late next year, Apple should have a pretty tight connection with consumers and businesses everywhere.

I wonder about Macs and enterprise adoption ... It would be cool to see that happen. But lest we forget, there was a period of time when various companies and government organizations switched from Windows to desktop Linux. We don't hear so much about that anymore.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukei View Post

I think you underestimate the control freakery of corporate IT

Blackberry is also a fully end to end encrypted service which matters to a number of organisations

True that. Many law firms would say that they couldn't possibly function without the security of Blackberries. The fact is that there is no 3rd party solution that functions the way BES integrates with BBs. Furthermore, purchasing Certicom was one of RIM's smartest moves, giving them a pretty strong IP position.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

No, I'm not aware that there is any advantage other than the hardening at device level, and in fact they are currently testing iPhones (and perhaps other devices) to get certified, but things move very slowly in this area.

No, it's not just about *hardening* at the device level. The Blackberry Enterprise Solution is not just about the devices. It is also about how the Blackberry Enterprise Server integrates with Exchange (and also Lotus Domino, etc.).
  • Reply 33 of 34
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

No, it's not just about *hardening* at the device level. The Blackberry Enterprise Solution is not just about the devices. It is also about how the Blackberry Enterprise Server integrates with Exchange (and also Lotus Domino, etc.).

OK, that makes sense, although as I said, similar solutions are being implemented on iOS that apparently provide equivalent security.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    The VP of Corp Security at my work supposedly has an iPhone 4. And we are a traditionally a Blackberry shop. Change is coming...

It"s possible to change over to iPhone as long as the Exchange server has a vaild ActiveSync acct for your profile.