Apple prepping pilot program to loan iPads to retail staff

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple is making preparations to try out a program that allows retail employees to borrow iPads from the company, according to a new report.

CNet has learned that the Cupertino, Calif., company plans to start the pilot program exclusively at its flagship store in San Francisco. Under the program, retail employees at the store will be allowed to "check out" iPads for a week at a time.

Though further details on the program are lacking, it has been suggested that the pilot is an initiative to help retail staff become more familiar with the device ahead of the launch of iOS 5. An Apple spokesman declined to comment on the program.

The iPad now plays a central role to Apple's retail strategy. Shortly after the 10th anniversary of its retail business, the company overhauled its stores to add iPad 2 "smart signs" next to all of its products.

Days before the launch of the original iPad, Apple's retail employees were still in the dark about the device. Staff were also unsure whether they would receive a discount on the iPad.

The iPad pilot program isn't quite as generous as a 2007 initiative, where Apple gave out free first-generation iPhones to all of its employees.

Apple's retail business continues to expand rapidly, bringing in $3.5 billion in revenue last quarter. The company is set to open 30 locations this quarter, including high-profile stores in Hong Kong and Shanghai.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though further details on the program are lacking, it is assumed to be an initiative to help retail staff become more familiar with the device ahead of the launch of iOS 5.

that's a lot of employees and likely a short time frame. do you also assume the devices will be sportin' ios5? and if it were an effort to familiarize staff, don't you think it might be at more than one store, and perhaps have started a little sooner?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    IF they are doing this then it is not about ios5.

First because it is only at one store. It would be at all stores if it was about iOS5

Second, that coukdn't lead to complaints of expecting them to work off the clock. Which is. Big no-no

If they are doing the loaners it is to be hip and cool and nothing more
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

that's a lot of employees and likely a short time frame. do you also assume the devices will be sportin' ios5? and if it were an effort to familiarize staff, don't you think it might be at more than one store, and perhaps have started a little sooner?

I guess it is too bad they don't pay their retail employees enough to be able to buy the products they sell.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msm859 View Post

I guess it is too bad they don't pay their retail employees enough to be able to buy the products they sell.

So are you saying.. A guy who sells a Rolls Royce should be able to buy a Rolls Royce..?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

People on welfare buy iPhones. I imagine that retail employees could buy Apple products if they desired.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rajkiran View Post

So are you saying.. A guy who sells a Rolls Royce should be able to buy a Rolls Royce..?

+1

I think if you don't think you get paid enough for your job, quit, find one that pays you enough.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    How many stores will open in 2011, roughly?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

I'm sure if they saved up they'd quickly have enough. Not to mention that this story suggest these loaner iPads will be running an unreleased software version for staff familiarity and training.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

If the sales rep is getting paid a commission derived from the sales price of the car - then yes - I would expect it would not take too terribly long for him to afford one - then again the sales volume might not be quite high enough for that.

Now if you consider the other employees at the Rolls Royce dealership such as the mechanics and the parts department and the front desk and the clerk and the cleaning staff etc - then no - I would not expect every employee at a Rolls Royce Dealer to be paid enough to expect them all to be driving a Rolls.

i used to have people make comments to me along the lines of - you have worked here so long you should own the company buy now - (15 years at that job) - which made me wonder how they thought it would be possible for any company to pay any one employee enough to be abel to afford to buyout the entire company. unless they were just thinking of some sort of work your way to the top kinda thing.

perhaps in this case - as with the giving away of refurbished iPads - it is another way to get the product additional exposure - but in a way that is more effective and less costly than a billion dollar ad campaign.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Quote:

No he is proving he is a troll, nothing more.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Here's a better idea: Pay them enough so that they can afford to buy one.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

And make them buy their own? What if they want to learn about the device but don't want to actually own it? It's called a perk. Our company lets people check out laptops. They don't tell us to buy their own.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Yeah, someone already said that. Although in the case of the OP his posting history makes it clear he's coming from some specific economic ideas, whereas your posting history makes it clear that you didn't bother to read the thread because you were in to much of a rush to say something reflexively snotty.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah, someone already said that.

If I had a nickel for every repeated meme in this forum, I'd be rich. Generally, the responses fit into predictable categories.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How many stores will open in 2011, roughly?

Fifty.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._for_2011.html
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Wow, ConradJoe, that's the best comment / advice ever. Since you think this way, I am going to quit my job now. I will first work for a custom home builder for a year, then a yacht manufacturer for a year, a Ferrari dealer for a year, and a grocery store for a year. That way, according to your reasoning, I will have a mansion, a Ferrari, a Yacht, and all the other items needed to live.

Hey ConradJoe and msm859, it's called saving your money up to buy something you want. Most Americans don't do this anymore, but rather "charge" it and pay later. Then, they had to get a bailout.

I don't agree with paying them more so they can buy one. I'm sure they aren't being paid minimum wage at Apple retail stores. I'm sure it pays more than your McDonald's and Burger King's. It's called "living within your means". Just because you work for apple, doesn't mean they should supply you one for free or pay you more so you can buy one. What if they pay them more and they spend their money somewhere else?

It's called working and saving. You work hard, you get noticed, you get raises / promotions, and excel in whatever career field you choose. In the meantime, save your money for things in life. For example, an iPad or iPhone.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

If I had a nickel for every repeated meme in this forum, I'd be rich. Generally, the responses fit into predictable categories.

Must be tedious for you to keep reading them, then.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Screw paying them enough, just give them one. Apple has billions in the bank, surely they could take the hit on a few thousand 16gb wifi only units.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    You'd think Apple would give each store employee an iPhone and an iPad, with a clause that if they quit within a year then they either have to return it or pay for it pro-rated. First-hand experience is far better than sales bullet points from a powerpoint.

I guess this explains why most of the employees at my local Apple store spend the majority of their time standing around talking to each other.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    On a side note, I'd like to be able to borrow an iPad to show my 85-year-old mother what she could do with it - she's resisted buying a computer all of her life. My iPhone and iMac do everything I need, so I don't plan to get an iPad for myself anytime soon.