Samsung vows to step up legal action against Apple for 'free riding' on its inventions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post

Samsung CEO failed the basic jobs of being a CEO.

As a CEO one of his main jobs is damage control. This is basic and the guy is burying Samsung in stupidity and this is how.

This is not a matter of who is right or wrong. This is damage control or in other words, trying to come alive with less losses as possible.

Samsung is not known exactly as a innovator, so, they have not a single strong patent to defend themselves. Apple on the other hand, is a strong innovator and has at least 300 patents just for the iphone and iPad. So, in court Samsung has very little chances of winning anything.

These are the scenarios they had:

1) Apple complained they were copying their stuff and asked for changes. This was previous to court action. At this time, they should have made changes. They missed their chance. This was the least loss case.

2) Apple started a court action in the US. They should contact Apple and try to settle. Instead they pushed their luck and Apple started other actions in other countries, they retaliate in all countries, using phony arguments as "the tablet idea was created in a 1969 movie" and are losing in every country.

3) Apple pissed, started to moving their processors, display, flash and memory orders from Samsung to Toshiba, Soc and other companies in Japan. Samsung is losing their major customer, Apple and a 7.8 billion dollar check every year.

And the worst part of that for them is that Tim Cook is a master of the supplies and logistic. I am sure Cook's strategy will inflict maximum damages to Samsung in all fronts, without causing any trouble for idevices production.

Resuming: instead of making some changes to their hardware and software and keep Apple as a customer, losing a couple of dollars to do that, they decided to spank Apple and lose their 7.8 billion check and at the same time, send a message to the industry on how they treat their customers.

Again, this is not a question of who is wrong or write, this is damage control.

Nice job Samsung.

I couldn't have said it better myself
  • Reply 22 of 215
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

if you want to "step up" legal action, do it! Threat like this only make you looks childish. Bye bye Samsung (from my house).

They should file something, this is just PR. They drove Apple away from the negotiating table and now realize they are in the process of losing a ton of money. Their profits have been in free fall for the last 2 quarters. They think they can bully Apple back in. Good luck.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I wouldn't underestimate Samsung. Excluding market cap, they are about 4 times as big as Apple. Now that said, I think Samsung is probably fighting a losing battle. Everyone who is not polarized knows that Apple has released certain products which are followed by remarkably similar products from Samsung. In the end, that's probably what matters. Samsung may win a few rounds on various patents. Their history is the problem here, however. They can try to prove prior concept, but they've never released anything before Apple. That's not going to go well for them.

You also need to exclude profits and cash. Since those will be two huge factors in a legal battle, I am not sure you should. Unless Samsung plans to stop operating the business and pour all their revenue into filing lawsuits, I am not sure how your 4x matters at all.
  • Reply 23 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antinous View Post

Will Samsung have to sue all of the other manufacturers who are getting a free ride on their patents or will Apple be sacrificed, like Christ, and bear the patent infractions for the whole world?

Apple is not Christ-like in any manner.
  • Reply 24 of 215
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    That is kind of Apple's point. Everybody is copying Apple making their devices look exactly the same. That is a problem for a company that tries to distinguish itself based on design.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sommer182 View Post

THEY ALL LOOK AND FUNCTION THE SAME WAY

• Reply 25 of 215
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Personally I'd rather see every take it down a notch or two rather than step it up.

Everybody wants everyone to calm down. It's Samsung who want to "step up".
  • Reply 26 of 215
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member
    unless you are Apple shareholders, IMO. Have you really not seen this comming?
  • Reply 27 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

They should file something, this is just PR. They drove Apple away from the negotiating table and now realize they are in the process of losing a ton of money. Their profits have been in free fall for the last 2 quarters. They think they can bully Apple back in. Good luck.

Yeah good luck with that. They should try to settle with Apple out of court instead. I think the success of Apple's international legal campaign took them by surprise.
  • Reply 28 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hjb View Post

unless you are Apple shareholders,

Why?
  • Reply 29 of 215
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I don't think Apple wants a patent war, they just want others to stop copying their products. If Samsung wants to start a war instead of stop copying, they will lose, since the winner of a patent war is the one who has invented the most, and that is clearly Apple.

Samsung need to throw some cold water on their face and realise they are in the weaker position and contact Apple for negotiations, because if they go to court they will waste a lot money on legal fees only to have a judge rule against them.
  • Reply 30 of 215
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

The problem for Samsung is that they are attempting to patent ambush Apple in order to get enough dust in the air to force a rescinding of Apple's charges of unfair design infringment against Samsung. This is one of the reasons Apple holds such a large war chest - undoubtably they looked over the telecommunications IPR/licensing situation and acknowledged that there were positions that would allow abuse by standards-based IPR holders in order to create anti-competitive situations where they would try to leverage additional licensing royalites beyond F/RAND..

There may be some F/RAND encumbered patents that Samsung is claiming against Apple. That's yet to be determined. But even Apple doesn't say that applies to all of them, with FOSSPatents guessing that it may be roughly half, give or take.
  • Reply 31 of 215
    AAPL, just buy Samsung and S.Korea.

With the loose change buy the North...
  • Reply 32 of 215
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Apple's IP in those A4 and A5 chips is probably in jeopardy, Samsung's management seem quite insane.
  • Reply 33 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Everybody wants everyone to calm down. It's Samsung who want to "step up".

But it's Apple who not just wants to get more aggressive but has stepped it up another notch with yet another round of suits filed just this month against Samsung.

If Samsung responds more strongly in the future I won't be surprised of course. Neither one is coming off as angels in this.
  • Reply 35 of 215

So that will be an easy one for Apple to dismiss. Just pay the "reasonable" licensing fees and it goes away. Simple.
  • Reply 36 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

But it's Apple who not just wants to get more aggressive but has stepped it up another notch with yet another round of suits filed just this month against Samsung.

If Samsung responds more strongly in the future I won't be surprised of course. Neither one is coming off as angels in this.

Apple didn't make a threat like a low level gangster. As a consumer I can't trust a company behaving this way.
  • Reply 37 of 215
    Apple sues HTC over auto hyperlinking text in emails? "Good. Serves them right for competing against Apple using Android in a manner that could never be confused with iOS"

Anyone sues Apple? "Losers, cheap Asians. All Asians are cheap. Ban Asia."

It's humorous mostly.
  • Reply 38 of 215
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member

Looks like Samsung is concerned with the Galaxy ban in the Netherlands, set to go on the 15th of October I believe. Apple only has to prove Samsung has not negotiated in a Fair or Reasonable manner.
  • Reply 39 of 215
    Like a petulant child...
  • Reply 40 of 215
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Good point.

Quote:

You also need to exclude profits and cash. Since those will be two huge factors in a legal battle, I am not sure you should. Unless Samsung plans to stop operating the business and pour all their revenue into filing lawsuits, I am not sure how your 4x matters at all.

Fair enough, though Samsung still has about $20 billion (at least from what I found). Good points on profits and cash, nevertheless.