Amazon invites press to Sept. 28 event for anticipated tablet reveal

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

I wouldn't pull out my iphone or ipad on any subway in this country. L.A. or New York

People pull out their Android tablets all the time on subways around the country... hoping that someone will take them.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

People pull out their Android tablets all the time on subways around the country... hoping that someone will take them.

There has to be a jailbreak joke in there somewhere.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    Could be interesting, but I'm really looking forward to the first company that uses some of the more exotic color e-ink displays that are on the horizon.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    who's software are they using, it is some home grown code. I guess the only way you get content on it is form downloading it from Amazon. I have lots of content already on my computer can it be easily upload to the device... Guess we will all find out next week.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:

To sum it up carefully -- Here in Los Angeles there are crews that carry guns that search the streets for people displaying an Iphone - in other words - they commit armed robberies to your apple device. Think I'm kidding? Trust me I know.

Wow, and I thought Chicago was a third world country, I guess its much worse in LA. I have had an attempted robbery on a CTA, where someone punched my in the face and tried to steal the iphone, but could not get it out of my hands quickly enough before doors closed.

Never been assaulted with a gun though.

PS I thought new york was the safest city in America according to crime stats. I don't think I'll go there any time soon cause I have bad memories of NY while immigrating to US, but I thought it was better crime wise.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    I probably shouldn't expect more at this point, but really, not everything has to be an iProduct competitor as they always seem in AI headlines. Just like the Nook Colour, this thing will be more aimed at e-books than other tablet stuff, although I'm sure jailbreaks will be swift in coming.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

who's software are they using, it is some home grown code.

They're using their own fork of Android. 2.x, I think.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

"The main screen is a carousel that looks like Cover Flow in iTunes which displays all the content you have on the device. This includes books, apps, movies, etc. Below the main carousel is a dock to pin your favorite items in one easy-to-access place"

At least they choose a different Apple product to copy....

Did Apple invent Cover Flow? Eh ... nope.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:

Think I'm kidding? Trust me I know.

Well, if that's not a winning argument ...
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Well, this thread switched from Amazon to iPhone robbery mighty fast. Amazon would not be happy about this.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Amazon claims the Kindle is selling a lot, how come they never release numbers?

When Apple TV wasn't selling much, Apple did not release sales numbers, could it be the same for the Kindle?
  • Reply 32 of 47
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

I wouldn't pull out my iphone or ipad on any subway in this country. L.A. or New York

Who even uses the LA subway?
  • Reply 33 of 47
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Amazon are one of the few that have enough of an ecosystem to pull off something approximating the iPad/iTunes experience. I thought coverflow was a patented interface element though. I distinctly remember Apple buying out the developer before they integrated it into iTunes.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Wow, and I thought Chicago was a third world country, I guess its much worse in LA. I have had an attempted robbery on a CTA, where someone punched my in the face and tried to steal the iphone, but could not get it out of my hands quickly enough before doors closed.

Never been assaulted with a gun though.

PS I thought new york was the safest city in America according to crime stats. I don't think I'll go there any time soon cause I have bad memories of NY while immigrating to US, but I thought it was better crime wise.

Riiight..... not sure what part of LA we're talking about here. That would have to be a pretty bad area, in which case why would he even be there?
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ErosLWS View Post

A number two emerges in the market. Big deal. I'm more excited about the Ivy Bridge Macbook Air than some toy.

I thought the latest version MBA was pretty kick arse, if ivy bridge version comes out... from what I reading, they will be real 'WOW'-sers
  • Reply 36 of 47
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Did Apple invent Cover Flow? Eh ... nope.

So? They purchased it from the original developer. Apple are the ones who saw the potential, paid up fair and square, and have broadly implemented the concept throughout their software. It's an Apple product. Anyone at this point implementing a coverflow style scheme can reasonably be described as "copying Apple."
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't know about this tablet, seems like Amazon may be making a mistake.

The one strength that the Kindle had was the e-ink screen which let people read books outside or anywhere really. And now they're coming out with this small 7" tablet instead with a LCD screen running skinned Android ? The screen is not even IPS like the iPad? Probably not, considering the price of the tablet.

It may be a competitor to the Nook, but no fucking way is this thing even in the same league as an iPad.

If somebody's really poor, I can see them getting this maybe.

Wouldn't it he better to buy an iPad and run the free Kindle app on it? Bigger screen, bigger ecosystem, more apps? I mean, if Kindle tablet wants to give up the advantages of eInk displays...why not just get an iPad?
  • Reply 38 of 47
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

4) IPS has been out long enough that I think a $250 device with a 7" display might be a achievable, especially with Amazon willing to make it the razor (handle) for its (razor) blades ecosystem. Also, what about Pixel Qi's hybrid eInk and LCD technology?

The Nook Color has an IPS screen. It's fairly nice...I'd be surprised if the Kindle doesn't. Siegler didn't mention one way or another.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Wouldn't it he better to buy an iPad and run the free Kindle app on it? Bigger screen, bigger ecosystem, more apps? I mean, if Kindle tablet wants to give up the advantages of eInk displays...why not just get an iPad?

Cost and size. As an ebook reader and movie pad 7" is just fine. There's actually little size difference between my Nook Color and my iPad for movies. Yes, a bit but not as much as you'd think. It's 1024x600.

Given the free streaming movies and the Kindle advantage it should replace the Nook Color as the best under $300 tablet even if it can't be easily rooted. Amazon will probably have a all the apps they want on launch day tailored for their tablet along with an exclusive or two.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Price and portability. Smaller and cheaper is easier to carry around everywhere without being concerned about it getting lost/stolen/broken.

My iPad almost never leaves the house, but my cheap 7" Android tablet stays with me everywhere.