Nielsen: Apple's iOS holds at 28% in US as Android rises to 43% smartphone share

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Android's market share gains in the U.S. continue to come at the expense of its competitors, except for Apple, which held steady at 28 percent despite the lack of a new iPhone model, according to the latest figures from Nielsen.

The survey conducted in August found that 43 percent of all smartphone owners said they have an Android device, compared to 28 percent who own an iPhone. When looking at users who bought a smartphone in the last three months, Android's share grew to more than half, at 56 percent, while Apple stayed once again at 28 percent.

In fact, Apple's 28 percent share in the U.S. is flat with what Nielsen found in a similar survey in June. In that poll, Android represented 39 percent of smartphone users in America.

Nielsen noted that Apple's market share could "change quickly" in the coming months, as Apple is expected to introduce a new fifth-generation iPhone on Oct. 4. The research firm noted that every new iPhone launch from Apple results in an increase in sales.

With iOS holding steady and Android growing, Research in Motion's BlackBerry lineup fell from a 20 percent share in June to 18 percent in August. When looking at users who bought a smartphone in the last three months, only 9 percent chose a BlackBerry.

Polls have shown for some time now that Android, which is available on handsets from multiple hardware manufacturers on all four major carriers in the U.S., is the largest smartphone platform. But numerous analyses have shown that Apple rakes in more than half of the global mobile phone market's profit.

Nielsen's latest poll numbers show that the domestic smartphone market continues to grow. Though 43 percent of all mobile subscribers in the U.S. had a smartphone as of August, 58 percent of respondents who bought a new device in the last three months chose a smartphone.

"The holiday season and the launch of new devices like the next iPhone could further accelerate smartphone adoption, though this is always tempered by the fact that many consumers are unwilling or unable to break their service contracts before they expire," the firm said.

"In any event, the growing popularity of app-and-media friendly smartphones spells tremendous opportunity for those advertisers, publishers and developers eager to leverage mobile media."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 121
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Funny, but I very rarely see anyone using anything but an iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 121
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I agree. I think every time an Android reboots after a crash or a malware infestation they class it as a new activation!

Seriously though let us compare the profitability graphs of Android and iOS. Note I say compare the OSs, iPhone is hardware and Android is an OS.
  • Reply 3 of 121
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) A phone going into it's 16th month on the market was able to maintain it's percentage in a fast growing smartphone market? That's pretty insane!

2) When you split up Android across their vendors do they eve have as much handset marketshare as the Blackberry?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I agree. I think every time an Android reboots after a crash or a malware infestation they class it as a new activation!

Seriously though let us compare the profitability graphs of Android and iOS. Note I say compare the OSs, iPhone is hardware and Android is an OS.

When it comes to searches and every other metric of actual use on a smartphone it seems that the iPhone dominates. Where the hell are these Android phones being used?
  • Reply 4 of 121
    It could have something to do with all those "buy one, get one free" deals.
  • Reply 5 of 121
    I see Android phones all the time. And iPhones. Never see wp7 and blackberrys are constantly being replaced by either or.

And no a reboot isn't a new activation.

Relax iPhanboys. Your iPhones are not in danger and will continue to be awesome (and the most all around complete) smartphones even if second in market share.
  • Reply 6 of 121
    Quote:

Probably depends on where you live. Though surprisingly, I live in San Francisco, and I'm seeing far more Androids than iPhones.
  • Reply 7 of 121
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Where you live, in the USA at least, may influence the number of Android, Apple or RIM smartphones you see in the wild.

http://www.redmondpie.com/are-you-io...will-tell-you/
  • Reply 8 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) A phone going into it's 16th month on the market was able to maintain it's percentage in a fast growing smartphone market? That's pretty insane!

2) When you split up Android across their vendors do they eve have as much handset marketshare as the Blackberry?

When it comes to searches and every other metric of actual use on a smartphone it seems that the iPhone dominates. Where the hell are these Android phones being used?

Doubtful they do. Blackberry has what? 19-21%? I think the highest Android OEM is at 15 max

A lot of android phones are replacement dumbphones. All iPhones are all smartphones.

Apple redefined smartphones, Google made them all accessible. Both are good for people.
  • Reply 9 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They are being used as feature phones by people who got them for free or next to free from the Telcos. Several of my relatives have last years low end Samsungs and couldn't figure out how to do anything on them. They could navigate my iPhone 4 but were too cheap to buy one so they have a brick that they can barely use instead.
  • Reply 10 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

They are being used as feature phones by people who got them for free or next to free from the Telcos. Several of my relatives have last years low end Samsungs and couldn't figure out how to do anything on them. They could navigate my iPhone 4 but were too cheap to buy one so they have a brick that they can barely use instead.

Get smarter relatives.

They may not be as intuitive (with the menu button and long press) but once you learn those two things exist android is no more difficult to operate than iOS. Just no where near as intuitive or beautiful.
  • Reply 11 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

How bad do you think this malware problem actually is? Stop spreading bullshit.

Also force reboots rarely happen on android.

Have you even used a proper Android device? Or did you simply play with your little cousins cheap ol buy 1 get 2 free 2008 phone?
  • Reply 12 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Get smarter relatives.

They may not be as intuitive (with the menu button and long press) but once you learn those two things exist android is no more difficult to operate than iOS. Just no where near as intuitive or beautiful.

If you're like me and have to field calls from relatives regarding their computer "problems", you know there is no such thing as smarter relatives.

Most people could not be bothered to figure out extra steps. "If it don't do it after two clicks, then fuck it."
  • Reply 13 of 121
    Duplicate Post Deleted
  • Reply 14 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When looking at users who bought a smartphone in the last three months, Android's share grew to more than half, at 56 percent, while Apple stayed once again at 28 percent.

Twice as many people choose Android phones compared with iOS phones.

Possible responses:

You shouldn't compare just smartphone OS penetration. You need to lump in other types of devices.

Who makes more profit?

With so many companies selling Android phones, twice as many is very low.

They are cooking the books. The numbers are not real.

Apple doesn't care about market share.

Just wait until Apple releases a new phone!

Nobody chooses Android phones.

Android phones are given away for free.

Did I miss any?
  • Reply 15 of 121
    Quote:

Sure you do, you just don't realize it because they look so similar to an iPhone
  • Reply 16 of 121
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The economy is bad and people with little to spend will have no choice but to go with the cheapest options available to them. Almost 50% of all US households pay no federal taxes, and that most likely represents a large base of Android users right there, and these people are more likely to be technically ignorant, not to mention economically challenged.
  • Reply 17 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Twice as many people choose Android phones compared with iOS phones.

Possible responses:

You shouldn't compare just smartphone OS penetration. You need to lump in other types of devices.

Who makes more profit?

With so many companies selling Android phones, twice as many is very low.

They are cooking the books. The numbers are not real.

Apple doesn't care about market share.

Just wait until Apple releases a new phone!

Nobody chooses Android phones.

Android phones are given away for free.

Did I miss any?

Yes.

Who gives a shit.
  • Reply 18 of 121
    Quote:

Are you certain that your perception is not due to confirmation bias? It is a very normal human trait.
  • Reply 19 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

A lot of android phones are replacement dumbphones.

I wasn't aware of that. Can you give a few examples?
  • Reply 20 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The economy is bad and people with little to spend will have no choice but to go with the cheapest options available to them. Almost 50% of all US households pay no federal taxes, and that most likely represents a large base of Android users right there, and these people are more likely to be technically ignorant, not to mention economically challenged.

Actually I find it interesting the article attempt to claim such a large % of US cell phone users have smart phones now. I do not buy it, the cost to have one so so high, even if you do not use the phone it cost you $80 a month to have it sit in your pocket. If that many people in the US have smart phone no wonder this country is in trouble,m since we know over 50% of the population is teetering in financial ruin.

To you point, if they are buy android because the can not afford the apple solution which maybe very well true, they go to the store and get what is cheapest and free to them, these same people are not going to spend extra money on apps which I think I saw a survey that they estimate that Apple makes about $150 per year per iOS user. Then again these people are spending money they really do not have so why not spend more of it.