Android-dominated T-Mobile still waiting for Apple's iPhone call

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
T-Mobile Chief Marketing Officer Cole Brodman said Monday that although 90 percent of his company's smartphone sales were Android-powered devices, he would "love to have the iPhone" as part of his lineup whenever Apple decides to express interest.

Speaking at GigaOM Mobilize conference, Brodman did his part to reiterate that T-Mobile won't be part of the much-anticipated iPhone 5 launch expected next month, nor would it offer an older iPhone model.

"We'd love to have the iPhone whenever Apple makes that available," Brodman said. "The ball is in Apple's court."

With sufficient evidence to suggest Sprint will begin selling the iPhone later this year, T-Mobile stands out as that last of America's big four carriers not to offer the smartphone that pioneered a new era of mobile computing.

Last year German-based Deutsch Telekom AG, the parent company of T-Mobile, blamed poor operating performance on its inability to sell the iPhone. It claimed that although the U.S. was once a vast opportunity for the carrier, lately subscribers have been abandoning the network in favor of owning an iPhone.

Brodman noted that smartphones account for 75 percent of phones sold on T-mobile's network, 90 percent of which are based on Google's Android platform.

When asked about the performance of other smartphone platforms, Brodman expressed that he is hopeful for a BlackBerry comeback next year. In the meantime, the exec indicated that T-Mobile is eager to add the iPhone to its network but Apple has yet to extend the invitation.

"We'll wait for that phone call," he said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    What's the story behind this? Can anyone speculate why they have been left till last?
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

What's the story behind this? Can anyone speculate why they have been left till last?

It'd have to be a technology constraint as there's no reason Apple would hold back otherwise.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    T-mo probably loses more customers than they gain with Android. I'm guessing most customers get Android because their other phones suck, or they keep walking and go with AT&T or Verizon reluctantly.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    I have had T-mobile since they were VoiceStream and even the company before them. I love their service and I have never had a problem that they cannot solve effectively. They have better pricing than any of the other big 3 carries. However, if they do not get the iPhone this year, I will be forced to switch carriers and that does not make me happy. I fear the AT&T news prevented T-Mobile from being in contention for an iPhone and we know T-mobile's parent company does not wish to put more money in to them. Sad.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    He's waiting for a Blackberry comeback?

While he's at it he might as well wait for a beeper comeback. lol
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Maybe they should stop running "iPhones suck" ads that mock the mac vs pc campaign? maybe then they will get some love
  • Reply 7 of 39
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    T-Mo did a lot to launch Android. But their Android line-up has been lackluster since Android took off. It's the AWS band. OEM's don't seem to want to support another band. And now it seems to me likeT-Mo just doesn't really want the iPhone. If they get it, that's one less excuse for this merger.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayparry View Post

Maybe they should stop running "iPhones suck" ads that mock the mac vs pc campaign? maybe then they will get some love

Verizon did it before and they still got Apple love.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Has T-mobile tried calling Apple or are they content to sit home alone on a Saturday night?
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

It's the AWS band. OEM's don't seem to want to support another band.

Yup. The USA probably only can support 2 or 3 incompatible wireless networks. With T-Mobile's 3G on 1700 MHz AWS, the pool of cell phones to select from is smaller, and their negotiating power for handset discounts weak.

If they had 800/900 MHz and 1900/2100 MHz 3G bands, their cheaper plans would have provided a nice counter to AT&T along with providing compatibility with the ROTW, but with AWS, they are essentially relegated to also rans.

Hopefully Sprint can survive their Nextel and Wimax blunders to be a competitive 3rd player in the USA. They have to convert to LTE ASAP. I don't think T-Mobile can last as long as they've got the AWS band for their 3G, faux G network.

Quote:

And now it seems to me like T-Mo just doesn't really want the iPhone. If they get it, that's one less excuse for this merger.

They want it. Whether they can afford the subsidy is a total different matter, or whether Apple was to support AWS is another matter.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    There is no technological reason that Apple can't offer a T-Mobile iPhone. So, I think the reason for not doing so is two fold. Apple is only going to release with one new carrier at a time. This helps earnings (as each new carrier will give it a spike and two smaller spikes are better then one large), and makes sure Apple care more adequately judge demand. I also think Apple will go with Sprint first because of the unknown surrounding the AT&T deal.

The number one reason people leave T-Mobile is to go to a carrier with the iPhone. Obviously, T-Mobile wants the iPhone there. There also is over a million unlocked iPhones on T-Mobile US.

If the rumors are true, and Apple offers a iPhone 4GS unlocked for around three hundred dollars, T-Mobile will benefit from that. I will get one for T-Mobile, and sell my 3GS. When the iPhone 5 comes, I will get that and give the other phone to my girlfriend.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    They can afford the subsidy. They currently offer more expensive phones then the current iPhone. They do so by having tiered unlimited data plans. So, if you want an expensive phone, you have to pay the higher tiered data plan.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

They want it. Whether they can afford the subsidy is a total different matter, or whether Apple was to support AWS is another matter.

• Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMinnesotan View Post

Has T-mobile tried calling Apple or are they content to sit home alone on a Saturday night?

If the T-Mo girl was content to sit home alone on a Saturday night, I'd never want to go out ever again!

http://coedmagazine.com/2011/01/03/w...y-foulkes-1/#3

/

/

/
  • Reply 14 of 39
    I read a Sprint person say that Verizon got a six month exclusive where Apple couldn't offer it to anybody new until that time. Sprint might have the same deal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMinnesotan View Post

• Reply 15 of 39
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    I don't believe they need the iPhone not when they are selling the android products so well, wait the return rate is equally well too.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

If the T-Mo girl was content to sit home alone on a Saturday night, I'd never want to go out ever again!

http://coedmagazine.com/2011/01/03/w...y-foulkes-1/#3

/

/

/

Smoken!!!!
  • Reply 17 of 39
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fernando View Post

He's waiting for a Blackberry comeback?

While he's at it he might as well wait for a beeper comeback. lol

Pre iphone half the email I receive had the footer "sent from my blackberry" whatever. Within a couple months of its release, every one of them changed to saying "sent from my iphone". I can't even think of an exception to this. Anyway at some point the iphone will see some better competition, but I doubt it'll be from RIM.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Perhaps they are awaiting the final outcome of the *merger*.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    T-mobile does not have the iphone.

T-mobile does not have a widely supported band

T-mobile does not even have good android phones (The ones they do have are easily overshadowed by heavyweights exclusives ike the Evo 3d or the Bionic.)
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

T-mobile does not have the iphone.