Roughly 40% of mobile users in North America and UK plan to buy the iPhone 5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

One study conducted by mobile ad network InMobi reveals that 41% of mobile phone users in U.S., Mexico and Canada want to buy the iPhone 5 in the future. Of those interested in the device, 50% would purchase it in the first six months after launch.

This just in.

41% of North American citizens plan to become millionaires one day. Of those interested in becoming millionaires, 99% plan to become millionaires as soon as possible.

Wow, scientific market research is amazing!
  • Reply 22 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chriscaskey View Post

I feel like this study is almost useless considering no-one actually knows for sure what the iPhone 5 is.

it's not useless. It shows mindshare demand for an product. It shows that Apple has delivered consistently that there isn't much fear in saying they are planning on buying on the next iPhone, but that's not to be confused (*cough* jefferygilbert *cough*) with consumers blindly forking over money for a product sight unseen or proven to be poor in quality. This type of consumer reaction is important, assuming they continue to meet consumer demands. If they falter consumers will go elsewhere and we'll see these interest polls drop almost overnight like we did with Blackberry and Nokia handsets.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

This just in.

41% of North American citizens plan to become millionaires one day. Of those interested in becoming millionaires, 99% plan to become millionaires as soon as possible.

Wow, scientific market research is amazing!

There is always a huge discrepancy between what people 'plan' to do and what the 'actually do'. What they plan to do is wishful thinking for the most part. But like Solips says - it shows that a large percentage of the phone buying public believe [blindly in this case is a good thing] that Apple will deliver to their expectations and that the iPhone is the one to get. It also shows that a lot of people have had experience with Android and are still wanting an iPhone.

Just to chip in on the low end iPhone debate - There may be more than one model but a new low end version specifically strikes me as totally un-Apple like. I am no expert on high volume production of electronic gadgetry but surely it must be cheaper to continue an existing production line than to re-design, re-source and re-tool? The iP4 is still a very capable phone.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

There is always a huge discrepancy between what people 'plan' to do and what the 'actually do'. What they plan to do is wishful thinking for the most part. But like Solips says - it shows that a large percentage of the phone buying public believe [blindly in this case is a good thing] that Apple will deliver to their expectations and that the iPhone is the one to get. It also shows that a lot of people have had experience with Android and are still wanting an iPhone.

Just to chip in on the low end iPhone debate - There may be more than one model but a new low end version specifically strikes me as totally un-Apple like. I am no expert on high volume production of electronic gadgetry but surely it must be cheaper to continue an existing production line than to re-design, re-source and re-tool? The iP4 is still a very capable phone.

I wonder what the difference in sales would be for an IP5 that was an entirely new design, versus the same hardware inside something that looks like an IP4. Both running iOS 5 of course. The 4 was a bit of a classic, design wise, but customers are always attracted by something new.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Actually, that's not true.

The iPhone 4 is the number one selling smartphone in the United States. The iPhone 3GS -- a twenty-six month old design -- is number two.

That's right: every single snazzy Android handset, BlackBerry, etc. didn't impress as much as the previous iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Actually, that's not true.

The iPhone 4 is the number one selling smartphone in the United States. The iPhone 3GS -- a twenty-six month old design -- is number two.

That's right: every single snazzy Android handset, BlackBerry, etc. didn't impress as much as the previous iPhone.

Not sure if you were commenting on my question, but you are both right and wrong I think. The other phones did not do as well as the 3GS (indicating that newer is not better per se), but the 4 - the new iPhone - did do better. I wasn't thinking about the IP5 v. Android phones, just which IP5 would be more popular.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Apple is still in the business of selling handsets. You can argue all you want that the October 4th event is all about IOS5 and that hardware sales are moot, but they will be launching a new handset that day. You don't move your hardware launch to the middle of the holiday shopping season unless you plan on selling phones.

This is the most hyped device of the year. If the physical phone is an apparent duplicate of the model first seen almost 2 years ago, people aren't going to be impressed. There needs to be one helluva reason why I should buy this phone, and another 2 year contract. Otherwise people are going to move over to Google or hold onto their 3GS's and 4's contract-free.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

Apple is still in the business of selling handsets. You can argue all you want that the October 4th event is all about IOS5 and that hardware sales are moot, but they will be launching a new handset that day. You don't move your hardware launch to the middle of the holiday shopping season unless you plan on selling phones.

This is the most hyped device of the year. If the physical phone is an apparent duplicate of the model first seen almost 2 years ago, people aren't going to be impressed. There needs to be one helluva reason why I should buy this phone, and another 2 year contract. Otherwise people are going to move over to Google or hold onto their 3GS's and 4's contract-free.

Agreed. Apple makes money off iPhones not iOS (other than the App store). iOS exists to sell iPhones & iPads.

If this is just a refresh of the iPhone 4, I will be shocked and disappointed. Don't think Apple is foolish enough to do that though.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    In terms of design, the iPhone 4 was a classic. The challenge for Apple is going to be screen size. I love my iPhone 4, but when I see some of what else is out there, my screen looks so small. Granted, those phones look so frigging cheap. But is there a happy medium? Sexy iPhone design with a bit bigger of a screen?
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Not me... my 3GS is due for the second hand market.

Just bring it. But boy the websites will be swamped when they open for ordering.

The iPhone 5 launch in the US and around the world will be nothing short of sheer madness. And fun too, if you're into that kind of frenzy.

It will be a little nudge to the economy too.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Isn't that a bit like concluding that none of the newest supercars impress as much as the Ford Focus, because the Ford outsells them? IOW, a lowest-common-denominator product is likely to sell big, but that has noting to do with what impresses people.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The same survey suggests that customer interest will be significantly lower in case Apple announces a softer iPhone update, ?akin to the 3GS version of the iPhone that Apple released in 2009.? In this instance fewer than 15% of mobile users would buy such a device.

Yeap. No iPhone 5, no iPhone for me this year. I'm not buying iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Yeap. No iPhone 5, no iPhone for me this year. I'm not buying iPhone 4S.

• Reply 34 of 42
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I've spoken to several people who think the current iPhone is 4G. Most people don't even understand what any of this stuff is anyway.

My iP4 owning friends also were under the impression they were on 4G - those who had any notion of what 4G is, that is.
    And I could insert the snark here that WiMax and LTE don't meet the actual 4G spec either, however, the ITU decided last year to "officially" allow technologies that are moving toward the spec, including HSPA+, to label themselves as such with their blessings. As in fact none of the actually deployed 3G technologies actually ever met that engineering spec as such.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sidste View Post

"When asked what potential features of a new iPhone they'd find most appealing, survey respondents said they'd want “improved battery life, increased processing speed, higher-quality screen resolution and stronger phone service.”

Maybe increased battery life, but I think iPhone 4 does pretty well. As for the others:

- how many people are complaining about processing speed? sure there are some gamers or techies out there who really care. I would say most people don't even notice.

- Higher quality screen resolution: Can it get any better?

- Stronger phone service. More a function of the service provider than the device.

This is why Steve Jobs does not listen to customers.

I'm looking for a new form factor for style points, and a major iOS upgrade for functionality improvements.

Again speaking of confusion, most of us aren't exactly sure where in-set processing issues leave off and 3G/4G speeds and signal strengths start in in terms of the frustrating latencies we experience.

As for style points, yes, in this arena it's still a bit like American cars in the '50's - what will this year's Chevy look like? The '55, '56 and '57 transitions were an amazing trifecta. But form factors may be likely to stabilize for a bit in a bit - until we get to things like roll-up flexi-screens and such..... ...so maybe with materials revolutions, maybe not.....

Quote:

It's from Apple. It's new. It's faster. It has a better camera. It has a different model number. It'll wring out iOS 5 and iCloud better than any other phone on the market. All people are going to need.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

In terms of design, the iPhone 4 was a classic. The challenge for Apple is going to be screen size. I love my iPhone 4, but when I see some of what else is out there, my screen looks so small. Granted, those phones look so frigging cheap. But is there a happy medium? Sexy iPhone design with a bit bigger of a screen?

A slightly bigger screen in a non-Godzilla-sized phone is close to #1 on my list as well.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The only thing unclear to me in this survey is how they described the difference between the iPhone 5 and the 4s. Assuming that they said the iPhone 4s was explained as a mere speed bump then this is wake up call for Apple. The least they should learn is that if they have one phone they should call it the iPhone 5.

Nevertheless a mere speed bump and a new camera after 16 months? If that's all on Tuesday then the stock will fall like a stone.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    I disagree. There is nothing wrong with today's iPhone 4. It's still the world's best selling cell phone. What you forget is the software. iOS 5 is going to be the big star Tuesday, I predict.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

I disagree. There is nothing wrong with today's iPhone 4. It's still the world's best selling cell phone. What you forget is the software. iOS 5 is going to be the big star Tuesday, I predict.

From a technological standpoint the iPhone 4 is quite sophisticated, but boy-oh-boy does the thing have a lot of legal baggage associated with it: first Brian Lam and then Antenna-gate. If I was Apple I would do everything in my power to make a phone that bears little resemblance to the 4.

IOS5 shouldn't, and won't be the star on October 4th. IOS5 got it's sole time to shine back in June at the WWDC. It's October; it's time to buy Christmas gifts; Apple's going to be demoing brand-new shiny hardware with huge price tags.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:

Antenna-gate

Which wasn't real.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    I think veracity goes out the window when the issue is making headline news. Had CNN run hypothetical (false) rumors about the iPhone 4 exploding in user's faces, people would still regard the iPhone4 as "the one that blows up in your face." It was less of a tech support problem and more of a PR nightmare.

So while Antenna-Gate can be argued as being non-existent, people still refer to the iPhone as "the phone that doesn't make calls unless you hold it this exact, specific way."
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:

I think veracity goes out the window when the issue is making headline news. Had CNN run hypothetical (false) rumors about the iPhone 4 exploding in user's faces, people would still regard the iPhone4 as "the one that blows up in your face." It was less of a tech support problem and more of a PR nightmare.

So while Antenna-Gate can be argued as being non-existent, people still refer to the iPhone as "the phone that doesn't make calls unless you hold it this exact, specific way."

So you're saying people couldn't care less about the truth as long as they hear something on TV.

"Samsung products allow criminals to find your house and tell them exactly what's inside."

See how long it takes to get that up there. We'll see what happens.