Nokia lays off 3500 employees as smartphone share continues to tumble

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

It's kind of sad seeing them struggle so much. I'd like to see them come out with a really decent smart phone.

The best phone I ever had (when the goal was just a phone, not a smart phone) was a Nokia, 6280 I think. I was traveling internationally all the time, and it was the first phone I was given that would work in Korea and Japan as well as the rest of the world, and I loved it. It was such a benefit that it worked worldwide, but it was also really nicely built, and just a quality product.

They did. It's the N9 but they killed that off too. It will not even be launched in the US.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Maemo, MeeGo, MeeToo... I get it all mixed up!
  • Reply 23 of 64

deleted

• Reply 24 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

With all of the other bad economic news In the European Union, this is really sad for the Nokia employees. It's more than money. Its the loss of a sense of well-being, reduced hope for the future, & a huge dose of anxiety & uncertainty. Things are so bad that President Obama offered encouragement by telling the EU to get their economic act together. However, a German spokesman said he didn't appreciate the comment coming from his friend (Obama), as the US economy is in such bad shape with high unemployment.

Since the $ source has shifted from Nokia to Apple, maybe the Nokia's employees could be hired by Apple. Of course, they would have to move to China to compete for the American jobs that are already there now. But they should be patient. Many other companies send more jobs there, daily, so there is hope.

NICE!!!!!!!! Great and poignant post....
  • Reply 25 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

Since the $ source has shifted from Nokia to Apple, maybe the Nokia's employees could be hired by Apple. Of course, they would have to move to China to compete for the American jobs that are already there now. But they should be patient. Many other companies send more jobs there, daily, so there is hope.

Well, after the first tour of those factories in China, I doubt any of these Germans or Americans would want those jobs.

It's hard to compete when people in China are willing to put up with these working conditions and extremely low compensations. That's why it always puzzles me when Americans say they hope China fail, well guess what, if China fails, workers there would be even more willing to put up with even worse working conditions and worse compensations, hence make them even more competitive and will take away even more jobs from the rest of the world. You'd better hope these Chinese workers get much higher wage very soon so that they'd lose competitiveness and so companies would start reconsidering US workers again.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Well, after the first tour of those factories in China, I doubt any of these Germans or Americans would want those jobs.

It's hard to compete when people in China are willing to put up with these working conditions and extremely low compensations. That's why it always puzzles me when Americans say they hope China fail, well guess what, if China fails, workers there would be even more willing to put up with even worse working conditions and worse compensations, hence make them even more competitive and will take away even more jobs from the rest of the world. You'd better hope these Chinese workers get much higher wage very soon so that they'd lose competitiveness and so companies would start reconsidering US workers again.

I thought they wanted Pres. Obama to fail....
  • Reply 27 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    It's too bad because this really is a slick looking device.
    Is Nokia still turning a quarterly profit or have they fallen into the red?
  • Reply 28 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

You Can Put a Fork in Nokia. Game Over. No More Lives.

My fork is being used to check for life signs of RIM.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

There are cellphones in those photos?

Thanks for pointing it out; I would not have noticed otherwise.

Is that an iPhone in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?
  • Reply 30 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igorleandro View Post

I wonder if Nokia will now sue every other company that makes smartphones...

Way to go Nokia...

Instead of putting money to create a great product and succeed Nokia tried to kill a good product (or just have passive profit over it) and failed (to a certain extent). Now, deal with your sucky moves...

I feel bad for those loosing jobs, but on the other hand, I couldn't care less for Nokia. Its been three years I swore nobody in my family would ever get a Nokia phone again, and a few years before I was the first one to say that Nokia was great. This is something Nokia never realized, bad marketing.

Bad marketing in the US for sure. But not in Europe or Asia.

Actually, was it really bad marketing in US that prevented greater penetration? Or was it a case of bad carrier relationship?
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

Which is sexier? Nokia or iPhone?

Is that the iphone or the samsung? I can't tell a difference...

By the way, I would choose the ones on the left. I like the 2 better than 1 deal personally!
  • Reply 32 of 64
    Quote:

The one on the right definitely came from Silicone Valley!
  • Reply 33 of 64
    There would probably not even be an Apple, if not for NeXT.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    Today. (oops)
  • Reply 35 of 64
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

• Reply 36 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This thread has gone downhill in the best possible way.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Windows Phone and RIM's QNX will battle it out for third place over the next couple of years and frankly I think Windows Phone has the upper hand as they have buy-in from some handset manufacturers.

I think five years from now it will still be an iOS/Android battle with RIM dead and buried, an as yet unannounced OS in 3rd, and Microsoft in a distant 4th.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    My daughter has a Nokia. Not sure what the model is - C3?, but it's a lovely phone for calling, texting and taking pics. It looks classy too with a brushed metal finish. And it is Much, much cheaper on monthly payments on contract than my iPhone. She has no desire to play games or squint at internet pages. She has no desire to be continually connected to the Internet, most things that are 'desperate to know' can actually wait till she's back on her computer at some point. She LOVES her Nokia phone!

Yes and the Nokia N9 looks sweet - what a great interface, why the need to tie into WP7?
  • Reply 39 of 64
    okay you missed the fact that they said they are going to focus their business on software.

They hired the Stephen Elop from M$ and next thing you know they do a deal with M$ and and now their focus is going to be software.

Is that because the Stephen Elop does not know how to deal with Hardware.

I said it before, hardware engineer can design hardware and write code if necessary but software engineer can only write code and usually have no clue about hardware. Hardware is is foreign concept to most software types.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's too bad because this really is a slick looking device.
    Is Nokia still turning a quarterly profit or have they fallen into the red?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

My daughter has a Nokia. Not sure what the model is - C3?, but it's a lovely phone for calling, texting and taking pics. It looks classy too with a brushed metal finish. And it is Much, much cheaper on monthly payments on contract than my iPhone. She has no desire to play games or squint at internet pages. She has no desire to be continually connected to the Internet, most things that are 'desperate to know' can actually wait till she's back on her computer at some point. She LOVES her Nokia phone!

Yes and the Nokia N9 looks sweet - what a great interface, why the need to tie into WP7?

The N9 certainly does look sweet. If that phone had an Apple logo I thing we'd all be very excited. The interface looks cool, too. The first video (where the designer introduces the phone) looks like it was produced by Apple. The guy is a Finish and slightly less awkward version of Ive. The language is all Apple.

Why MS? indeed.