Foxconn's $12 billion iPad deal in Brazil threatened by local shortcomings

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

When two parties negotiate, the weaker party should know their place.

I disagree here. It's important to be willing to walk away if the terms aren't in their best interest. Considering so many parts for these things are sourced from different parts of Asia, there must be some reason for them to want to use Brazil for manufacturing as this means shipping a lot of individual parts over a much greater distance for assembly.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Oh really? Brazilian woman are very pretty, better hope Bill clinton doesn't take a trip there!

That made me laugh. You concern yourself way too much with the Democrats though when the political system and elections in this country are so messed up in general.

Back on topic, what constitutes "crazy demands"? The article hasn't really provided figures here.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

What do you mean Brazil doesn't benefit? China paid good money for raw materials.

Read the articles I linked and see and perhaps understand what some in Brazil are claiming.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I just wish that I knew whether it was politically correct to use the name Brazil rather than Brasil in these discussions.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I just wish that I knew whether it was politically correct to use the name Brazil rather than Brasil in these discussions.

Standard practice is to use the accepted spelling of your language. For instance, you won't see English writers using the word color for describing the American flag. It's still going to be colour.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Quote:

Frankly Brazil is an example of a what would happen to the USA if the Democrats had free reign. In the end they do more harm to their poor than they really help.

As a Brazilian I find this sentence disturbingly wrong. Brazil's pseudo attempt at a welfare state DOES NOT have many similarities with the Democrats' general line of thinking. If you don't mind exaggerating a bit, that's akin to saying the USA would descent into a fascist, warmongering state where the rich are extremely rich and the poor extremely poor, and every twenty years the economy collapses.

[POLITICAL POV] You simply can't take this one, bad example (Brazil's) to demonstrate welfare doesn't work. Because in other countries, surprise!, it does. And they are some darn good countries, like Norway, one of the leading Human Development Index countries, Finland, which is currently #1 in education. Hell, even the quite big Germany is an example of how welfare can have a prosperous economy *and* bring about less income disparity.

If interpreted within their own limited projection of how the world economy reacts, both neoliberalism and welfare should be good choices. Alas, the world is not perfect, and considering how the world's current representative of neoliberalism, the USA, fell apart recently and demonstrated one of the biggest dangers of an unchecked market, and how we still have strong examples of welfare states that work *despite* such adversity (granted, some of them, like France, are in trouble as well), this is why I root for Welfare. [/POLITICAL POV]

And BTW, the Democrats would seem like an extreme-right party over here. Even our "right" parties are only slightly-less-left parties. And it's our left that's been in charge for the last ten years.

Seriously, they are the Workers Party, our ex-president was a populist SOB, and their logo is a *red star*. I'm surprised we don't have banners of Lenin hanging around the Presidential Palace...
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Standard practice is to use the accepted spelling of your language. For instance, you won't see English writers using the word color for describing the American flag. It's still going to be colour.

Well it is different than Germany vs Deutschland. Brazil so close to the real name it just seems ignorant to continue on with it. I have business involvement there and I feel rather uncomfortable to use 'z'.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Well it is different than Germany vs Deutschland. Brazil so close to the real name it just seems ignorant to continue on with it. I have business involvement there and I feel rather uncomfortable to use 'z'.

If you're dealing with Brazilians it makes senze, but i've never seen a requirement simply becauze it'z close, otherwise we wouldn't have so many words that are so cloze in spelling. (That is a serious reply despite my spellingz)
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you're dealing with Brazilians it makes senze, but i've never seen a requirement simply becauze it'z close, otherwise we wouldn't have so many words that are so cloze in spelling. (That is a serious reply despite my spellingz)

It is odd because we do all our communication in English and they even use the spelling Brazil however I get the impression it is a courtesy to my language and that they would rather use the correct spelling, and so would I, but it isn't polite to correct your client's grammar even when we both know it is wrong.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    what a great time for a 'p r' (public relations) move.

open an apple assembly plant in the usa. make sure it's located in a right to work state such as alabama, arkansas, south carolina or a myriad of others.

the notoriety would be enormous and just imagine how many people would love to see that 'made in the usa' label.

a once in a lifetime opportunity.

also, the world is computerized and tenanted by robots and is labor competitive.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    If Brazil wants "cheap Internet access for the poor" they should be using inexpensive locally-made PC clones, not iPads.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    USA government would have no problem with an Apple production facility.

BRING A FACTORY TO THE USA PLEASE APPLE.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

USA government would have no problem with an Apple production facility.

BRING A FACTORY TO THE USA PLEASE APPLE.

, and triple the price for the iPad!
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

As a Brazilian I find this sentence disturbingly wrong. Brazil's pseudo attempt at a welfare state DOES NOT have many similarities with the Democrats' general line of thinking. If you don't mind exaggerating a bit, that's akin to saying the USA would descent into a fascist, warmongering state where the rich are extremely rich and the poor extremely poor, and every twenty years the economy collapses.

[POLITICAL POV] You simply can't take this one, bad example (Brazil's) to demonstrate welfare doesn't work. Because in other countries, surprise!, it does. And they are some darn good countries, like Norway, one of the leading Human Development Index countries, Finland, which is currently #1 in education. Hell, even the quite big Germany is an example of how welfare can have a prosperous economy *and* bring about less income disparity.

If interpreted within their own limited projection of how the world economy reacts, both neoliberalism and welfare should be good choices. Alas, the world is not perfect, and considering how the world's current representative of neoliberalism, the USA, fell apart recently and demonstrated one of the biggest dangers of an unchecked market, and how we still have strong examples of welfare states that work *despite* such adversity (granted, some of them, like France, are in trouble as well), this is why I root for Welfare. [/POLITICAL POV]

And BTW, the Democrats would seem like an extreme-right party over here. Even our "right" parties are only slightly-less-left parties. And it's our left that's been in charge for the last ten years.

Seriously, they are the Workers Party, our ex-president was a populist SOB, and their logo is a *red star*. I'm surprised we don't have banners of Lenin hanging around the Presidential Palace...

Well put !
  • Reply 34 of 37
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I believe in free trade. People just need to have confidence that foreigners are not supermen, and that they compete in a free trade situation.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    It kills me that there seems to be no effort by Apple to bring none of these jobs to the U.S.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

What do you mean Brazil doesn't benefit? China paid good money for raw materials.

Being known as a commodity seller is NEVER a good thing
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:

Oh really? Brazilian woman are very pretty, better hope Bill clinton doesn't take a trip there!

Take it back. Quick!