AT&T already stocking iPhone 5 silicone sleeves in stores

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

you still have to work out the subsidy agreement and a lot of other business details.

Doesn't mean Apple has to show anyone anything. AT&T agreed to the first iPhone without seeing it.

Quote:

and yes, apple does have to certify their product on the carriers' networks like everyone else

Sure, but that doesn't involve giving the devices to the carriers.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Seems like Apple's grapple on secrecy keeps breaking more and more with every new generation which is a good thing for the consumer. One day the Apple will have to tear down for good the Jobs paranoia wall.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

which is a good thing for the consumer.

Not really. Or, rather, the current state of affairs isn't at all bad for the consumer.

Quote:

One day the Apple will have to tear down for good the Jobs paranoia wall.

No.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not really. Or, rather, the current state of affairs isn't at all bad for the consumer.

I guess your contract didn't expire 4 months ago and weren't stuck in limbo then waiting.and waiting......
  • Reply 25 of 35
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

I guess your contract didn't expire 4 months ago and weren't stuck in limbo then waiting.and waiting......

What's the big deal about your contract expiring? Did your previous phone stop working?
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

What's the big deal about your contract expiring? Did your previous phone stop working?

No not at all- I'd rather not be starting a new contract w AT&T so late past my eligible renewal date.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:

No not at all- I'd rather not be starting a new contract w AT&T so late past my eligible renewal date.

Yes, but that's what I don't get. I'm in the same situation. Nothing has changed, same service, same price, phone still works fine, I can wait a few months.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Yes, but that's what I don't get. I'm in the same situation. Nothing has changed, same service, same price, phone still works fine, I can wait a few months.

You're not thinking ahead- you'll be locked into a new contract now until Oct2013.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    I guess these cases don't cost that much for AT&T, Case-Mate, and others to take the risk. There are good odds that they'll have to throw these cases into the dumpster.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Are you insane? No, they didn't have to do that. Apple wouldn't have to tell them squat. Apple does all the testing themselves.

Not to sure about that. Earlier models were field tested by AT&T. This is pretty much a carrier requirement. No carrier in the world is going to just accept a vendor's word for testing.

circa 2007: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireles...e-launch_N.htm

Quote:

Thandu is one of about 200 field technicians who have been secretly testing the iPhone and looking for technical glitches for more than 10 weeks and counting. AT&T routinely tests new devices, but the iPhone has been different, Thandu says. The technicians have logged more than 10,000 hours on the phone, including more than 5,000 hours of voice calls and near 5 gigabytes of data usage. Most phones, he says, get about half that much test time.

AT&T's scrutiny is understandable. The iPhone is shaping up to be the must-have cellphone of the year, maybe the decade if it follows in iPod's footsteps. AT&T has exclusive U.S. distribution rights for five years and hopes to use the device to lure new customers.

To win at that, however, the iPhone must live up to its hype. That's where Thandu and his crew come into play. "My job is to make sure the devices we sell meet the high bars we set for them, in terms of technical requirements and test specifications," he says.

Doing dry runs with the world's most anticipated cellphone has been challenging. Tests had to be done in places frequented by wireless users. Under strict orders to keep the phone under wraps, technicians had to hide or disguise the phone when in public, Thandu says.

The disguises took many forms: an iPod "sock" was sometimes slipped over the iPhone. Other times, he says, testers kept the device inside a newspaper or pants pocket and used a wireless headset.

For the actual testing, technicians frequented all the places where consumers go: office buildings, subway platforms, stairwells, elevators, crowded bars, sprawling suburban malls and congested city streets. They also showed up incognito at Apple and AT&T stores

• Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Not to sure about that. Earlier models were field tested by AT&T. This is pretty much a carrier requirement. No carrier in the world is going to just accept a vendor's word for testing.

circa 2007: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireles...e-launch_N.htm

200 technicians used up 5gb of data over 10 weeks.... yet today everyone complains about having a gig or two for themselves per month!
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:

Doesn't mean Apple has to show anyone anything. AT&T agreed to the first iPhone without seeing it.

Sure, but that doesn't involve giving the devices to the carriers.

AT&t upgraded a voicemail system they used for other phones as well, they didn't pay the entire R&D and allow a phone on their network sight unseen

AT&T has tens of thousands of towers in different states of software versions. someone has to go out and test on a good percentage of them. and this version the radio is going to be from qualcomm and not crapfineon like the last 4 versions
  • Reply 33 of 35
    the packaging looks suspicious and generic. I wouldn't mind seeing like a smart cover for the iphone if it does indeed have a metal back.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

the packaging looks suspicious and generic. I wouldn't mind seeing like a smart cover for the iphone if it does indeed have a metal back.

When the iPad 2 first debuted I thought that would be a good idea, but my iPad's SmartCover doesn't always stay one when it's in my computer bag getting jostled so I have a hard time thinking it would fair any better in my front pocket. Plus, with the way I use my iPhone I'd think it would get in the way.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:

You're not thinking ahead- you'll be locked into a new contract now until Oct2013.

Yes, but - sorry - I must be slow today, as well as not thinking head. Why is that bad?