MobileMe experiencing outages ahead of iCloud transition

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Friendly Grizzly View Post

I agree. I don't use even the minimum space, but it has proved useful to me, so I'd like to keep it.

Wel'l probably still have it but just have it in iCloud -no? A new app icon will replace it. An easy transition I hope though if last night is a harbinger of another meltdown like last time.....!
  • Reply 22 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Why? The MobileMe terms of service say it's not meant and shouldn't be used for business use. I would imagine personal use is greater on weekends.

Is sending out a resume from a personal account considered personal or business then?
  • Reply 23 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Well I may be in the minority but I don't see iCloud as a superior service to Mobile Me. Not with all the features it is leaving behind that I use on a daily basis. I'd gladly continue to pay for Mobile Me if it were offered along side iCould. My only complaint ever with Mobile Me was that the upload speed to iDisk was incredibly slow. Aside from that it was exemplary and I'm very sad to see it left behind.

I agree and it always was an incentive to buy a new Apple product annually for the discount.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:

Well I may be in the minority but I don't see iCloud as a superior service to Mobile Me. Not with all the features it is leaving behind that I use on a daily basis. I'd gladly continue to pay for Mobile Me if it were offered along side iCould. My only complaint ever with Mobile Me was that the upload speed to iDisk was incredibly slow. Aside from that it was exemplary and I'm very sad to see it left behind.

I think the additions to make iOS work more auto-magically alone will make it a better service in the long run. But I am not saying mobleme was bad, I have had an account since day one with my first iBook and never regretted it. I do hope that they either make a basic file storage alla idisk, or make a custom Apple app to sync files that don't have an associated app. The potential for the new version is much better, and could easily duplicate all the current services if a few apps that use the storage are made and made well.

The growing pains for certain things may be harsh though.

Aside: everyone I talk to complains about upload speed to iDisk, but i never had an issue, not sure why. Just how slow are we talking here?
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Has anyone else been getting occasional "Unable to validate certificate" errors on their iOS device when trying to send an email through MobileMe? I have been getting them occasionally for the past 3 days.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

Aside: everyone I talk to complains about upload speed to iDisk, but i never had an issue, not sure why. Just how slow are we talking here?

I've never clocked it, but when posting a 35MB file, it would take about 7 minutes going through the Mac Finder. That's too slow in my book.

What's funny is I typically got much faster upload speeds when uploading the same file through the Mobile Me website. I never understood that.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Me.com mail is still down for me @ 8:20 AM MDT. I cannot access from any of my desktop computers. I do not have an iPhone or iPad to try access with.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Scratch my earlier comment about Mail being up and running without a hitch. I've sent four messages and two of them keep on coming back as undeliverable and requesting my MobileMe password. It's 7:30 PST and I first noticed Mail was down 9pm PST last night.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    I guess I've been lucky in that my incoming (POP) mail has kept working. But I've been unable to send (SMTP) through my mac.com account for over 13 hours now. Gmail to the rescue!
  • Reply 30 of 45
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

I've never clocked it, but when posting a 35MB file, it would take about 7 minutes going through the Mac Finder. That's too slow in my book.

What's funny is I typically got much faster upload speeds when uploading the same file through the Mobile Me website. I never understood that.

That's a bit less than 1 Mb/s. Presumably your connection upload speed is actually higher than that?
  • Reply 31 of 45
    All is working again… at least for me. That was a long outage: 13 hours. They had enough time to unplug MobileMe servers in California and ship them to North Carolina.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Hoping that soon enough Apple will decide to allow us to consolidate iTunes accounts via iCloud. Also, are they going to let current MobileMe users cancel as soon as iCloud comes out to get a refund on the remainder of the year?

Nope, but you get a free extra year of mobileme!
  • Reply 33 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

All is working again… at least for me. That was a long outage: 13 hours. They had enough time to unplug MobileMe servers in California and ship them to North Carolina.

I was hoping as my mail I wrote at 9:30am EST swooshed at 11:45am the problem has been resolved. This occured just as I read this post, but in trying to send a test it's been 20 minutes and still no swoosh. Another 15 minutes and it has not shown up in my other email accounts (non-Apple) inbox so it's stuck somewhere on an Apple Server.

As for features that are supposedly disappearing from MobileMe, I also am an heavy iDisk and iWeb user, as are many of my fellow Users Group members and I will be at a major loss when and if they are taken away.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    It's been a bloody nightmare today. Hardly any e-mail is getting out. I'm having to use my gmail account.

Rest In Flames Mobile Me...
  • Reply 35 of 45
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

All is working again? at least for me. That was a long outage: 13 hours. They had enough time to unplug MobileMe servers in California and ship them to North Carolina.

Still not working for me in CA. Is that the theory then, that this is about data centers, and not Me vs. iCloud? Or is there some real information?
  • Reply 36 of 45
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

To all those worried, Apple will be leavin access to iDisk and Gallery open until the cutoff date (June 30, 2012), even if you move everything else over to iCloud. Also, as some have said, for the first year of your iCloud service, you will get an additional 20GB of storage (25GB total).

There are many iDisk alternatives as has been discussed many times here. I like SugarSync because you can dedicate any folders you like and they will be backed up automatically. You also get a generous amount of storage for zilch. As for mmGallery, with SS, and I am sure DropBox, their gallery functionality is adequate and very easy to use.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

I guess I've been lucky in that my incoming (POP) mail has kept working. But I've been unable to send (SMTP) through my mac.com account for over 13 hours now. Gmail to the rescue!

POP? Why, prey tell.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

POP? Why, prey tell.

Cause we roll old school around here! Deal with it!
  • Reply 39 of 45
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Back on at 10:20 in CA.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

All is working again? at least for me. That was a long outage: 13 hours. They had enough time to unplug MobileMe servers in California and ship them to North Carolina.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Still not working for me in CA. Is that the theory then, that this is about data centers, and not Me vs. iCloud? Or is there some real information?

If this was in any way a planned outage or maintenance then this is another huge fail on the part of Apple's communciations team to not alert users ahead of time. Hm, maybe they didn't hit the send button on the alert email until after the system was taken down. Oops!