Apple becomes world's leading smartphone vendor ahead of new iPhone debut

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    I thought they already were the largest smartphone manufacturer, or did they gain the title and loose it again in the past?
  • Reply 22 of 24
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Samsung may, or may not, surpass Apple this quarter. It's hard to say. But Samsung has a LOT of phone models out there. apple doesn't. while we seem to be interested in this race, Apple probably isn't. Originally, Steve stated that Apple wanted 10% smartphone marketshare. They made that the first year.

They went from a worldwide share last year of about 14.5% to over 18% this year. That's pretty good, dispite Androids' growth. They were the only other OS to grow. But Android growth has been slowing down, as it must. I figure that unless the BB gets some growth back, io WP7.5 can manage to get out of the 1% area (in the USA, they have almost no presence anywhere else), Android could get to 65%, possibly even 70%.

But what we'll see is the shuffling around of the various makers within the Android universe. It's not really Samsung vs Apple, or Motorola against Apple, but Android itself.

But what if Oracle wins their case, and does demand a permanent injunction? If they get it, which isn't certain, then Android, and all the manufacturers are finished. If they demand licensing fees from Google, also possible, then that could end all possibility of Google profiting from Android, and then what will happen?

Then we have MS and Apple. MS is demanding, and getting license fees from Android manufacturers, and Apple is demanding that certain features be removed.

We have a long way to go in the smartphone wars, and it's not close to being over. So any numbers we see now might be not representative of what we see a few years from now once all these cases are resolved.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I just love iSupply speculation, they are claiming that 1/6 of the worlds population will have make enough money to buy smart phone and also pay for the data plans. May they are right, maybe people will give up eating just to they can have a smart phone. I know some place you can pay as you go plans and this may work, so it does not cost people as much each month, But the reason you can get the phone cheap is because expect people to use data and pay for each month.

I am just curious how they justify people buying smart phones when most the worlds population is poor. Then again that is why the world is in a financial crisis
  • Reply 24 of 24
    Can't see this insignificant upgrade increasing sales above their previous sales rate much - I suspect Apple have set too much store on how impressed people will be with Siri and forgotten to change the exterior design that prevents large numbers of users upgrading from previous curvy phones.